Garrett AT gold vs Garrett 400

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just upgraded from a whites coinmaster to the AT gold pretty pumped about it. My buddy has the 400 and he was wondering how the two detectors compare side by side. We're mainly hunting gold. Big, small, anything in between. This new machine has a lot more bels and whistles than my old one so i had some questions about the settings as well. If anyone cares to discuss this please leave a comment. Any and all informatuin, and insight is greatly appreciated.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Gold (18kHz), is completely different than the Ace 400 (10kHz). At Gold is a gold nugget detector, the Ace 400 is a coin and jewelry hunter.:skullflag:

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the 400 would be relativly useless looking for small gold nuggets, or flake?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT gold does way more than hunt gold. It's a great relics Hunter and was my favorite detector to date. I have the AT Max now and will see how this season is with it. I found everything with the AT Gold that my Pro would find and even more and deeper. I have high expectations with the Max now. The Ace 400 won't go as deep and can't get wet. It will find stuff but isn't in same league as the AT Gold in my opinion. It would be better to compare it to the AT Pro.

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at the pro before buying the gold. I compared both heavily and went with the gold because thats what I will be searching for. My buddy with the 400 is now thinking of an upgrade but he was wanting to see the gold in action and maybe look at other gold machines that would compare to the gold.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, the Ace 400 will not find most gold nuggets, pickers, or flakes. The nugget would have to be at least 3-4 grams, and less than 5" deep to get a squeak out of the A400.:skullflag:

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like he'll need to invest in something better. Any suggestions from anyone on TN?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion would be get an AT Gold or Max so if you decide to relic or coin shoot as well. The AT series for me have been the easiest to set up and find the good stuff. I've owned others and got frustrated. The waterproofing is great because I wade rivers in summer and hit the beaches and swimming areas of lake Erie every now and then. The new minelab coming out seems promising as well. I'm happy with what I have but will be interested in how it does. Good luck

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to chime in, I think the AT Gold is in between the Pro and Max in terms of sensitivity and it makes a good coin shooter in experienced hands. I use the 400 as a matter of financial practicality and it is inferior to the entire AT line in terms of depth and sensitivity. I can read most silver coins between 5 and 8 inches with the standard coil, less for lesser conductivity. I have not found a pure gold piece of jewelry with it, so I would support the idea of getting something in the AT line if gold hunting is the main use for the machine. The Max can probably do gold hunting and is an excellent relic and coin machine (I have seen it in action and it's a killer field hunter). The 400's main drawback is lack of ground balance tweaking, and for older areas, lack of depth for coin sized objects. :)

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just upgraded from a whites coinmaster to the AT gold pretty pumped about it. My buddy has the 400 and he was wondering how the two detectors compare side by side. We're mainly hunting gold. Big, small, anything in between. This new machine has a lot more bels and whistles than my old one so i had some questions about the settings as well. If anyone cares to discuss this please leave a comment. Any and all informatuin, and insight is greatly appreciated.

Lots of good help here but the main thing is the Gold is MUCH more sensitive and deeper than an Ace series. Catch 22 is it can be a it noisier due to those two things.

Here is a good article we wrote about it. Difference between Garrett AT MAX, Garrett AT Pro and Garrett AT Gold.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my ATGold because of the reviews on how it finds gold. I do about 90% relic hunting but we spend a lot of time (vacations) in places with possible gold finds. I knew when I bought it that the only limitation it had was wet sand at the beach, but since I only hunt at the beach for a week or two a years, that wasn't an issue. I take my ACE300 when we go to the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread