Latest Opinions on the Z-Link System

Jennison

Feb 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about getting a Z-Link system or the newer Z-Link/MS-3 Headphone combo. That said, I've read many stories regarding transmitter failure, enough to give me pause. In addition, it seems as though most of the positive reports I can find have been put out by "affiliated" folks.

Has Garrett focused on working out (potential) bugs or do I have a good chance of getting a lemon still? I'd appreciate hearing from both long time and new users as to how their systems have been holding up.

Thanks very much!

Last edited:

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only speak for myself, but I got the original Z-lynk to plug into regular headphones and it works fine. I just wish I'd waited until the WS-3 came out because you still have to stow the headphone cord somewhere. I usually stick it in a pocket out of the way. I got it May 2017 and have used it a couple times a month on average (less in the summer when it was too hot) and have used it in windchill below freezing and no issues. Used it on my Ace 350 and 400. It does discharge rapidly when not in use, so I always plug it in the night before and take it off charge when I pack up to go. A friend of mine has had the Max for a couple of months and has not reported any issues with the WS-3 phones. YMMV.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can only speak for myself, but I got the original Z-lynk to plug into regular headphones and it works fine. I just wish I'd waited until the WS-3 came out because you still have to stow the headphone cord somewhere. I usually stick it in a pocket out of the way. I got it May 2017 and have used it a couple times a month on average (less in the summer when it was too hot) and have used it in windchill below freezing and no issues. Used it on my Ace 350 and 400. It does discharge rapidly when not in use, so I always plug it in the night before and take it off charge when I pack up to go. A friend of mine has had the Max for a couple of months and has not reported any issues with the WS-3 phones. YMMV.

Agreed! I dont think any of my customers have had issues with the Garrett Z-Lynk or Garrett Z-Lynk wireless kit

I can tell you if you did run into a issue Garrett would fix it or replace it. They are the best in the business!

Last edited:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one of the first ones and I did have the transmitter die. Garrett quickly replaced it. I think this is a great product, and the support is top notch.

Brianite

Greenie
Mar 23, 2015
Marquette, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Pro-Pointer AT, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping for some more responses to this before I pull the trigger on the z-link/ms-3 combo...I'm assuming the combos are all newer manufactures with the bugs worked out

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you were to get a lemon, Garrett has an excellent reputation and warranty and you'd get it taken care of. I wouldn't worry about it.

Brianite

Greenie
Mar 23, 2015
Marquette, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is true, not overly worried about it, plus I do have at least a month to decide before the snow melts and the ground isn't frozen solid.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used my Z-link w/ the MS-3 headphones this morning at the beach for the first time for about 2 hours. (I bought them for my AT Pro from Big Boys Hobbies, and they arrived yesterday). All I can say is "Wow!" Forget that they're cord free (which is awesome to say the least--no more cord to deal with!). It wouldn't matter if they didn't work well. However, they work really well! I am very impressed with them. Excellent audio, one knob volume control, lightweight yet sturdy, and very comfortable. There is zero lag time, (actually, 17 milliseconds according to Garrett) and so much nicer to use than corded ones, in my opinion. And as a bonus, not having to deal with the cord when I put the detector down to dig a signal was great!

Brianite

Greenie
Mar 23, 2015
Marquette, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Phishfindr, mine actually arrived yesterday from Big Boys Hobbies also. Unfortunately, for me it'll be awhile before the ground is thawed enough to test them other than playing around in the house (which obviously I did immediately).

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got the z lynk system. (Not the headphones) I get very low volume from three different headphones and yes, I the volume is turned up all he way. From what I have read, the speakers must have an impedence of 8 ohms to get the correct volume from the system. I looked all day for headphones with 8 ohms and found one, they are $30. So have to give up my $120 headphones that sound great and buy another crappy set just so this works?

Garrett should advertise that the system does not work with all headphones. Very disappointed. :angry7:

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett sent me a replacement receiver unit and the system is doing the same thing, Low volume. I am going to send it back to garrett. :BangHead:

Hopefully kellyco will take take it back.

As the title asks, My opinion of the Z-lynk system is that it does not work with all detectors or all headphones.

:protest:

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I called garrett today and got confirmation that the Z-lynk system has 1/2 volume level on Whites and Minelab detectors that have tone ID.

I wish I would have known that before I ordered it. :unhappysmiley:

Even though I dont own a garrett detector they had superb customer support.:icon_thumleft:

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Z link sys. but have hooked it up to a (cheep) set of ear buds. it seems to work very well and the volume
is much more than I want at full so I crank it down about 1/2 way-- The buds have a very lite 3 ft cord so little drag on the ear// Perry

papamad

Oct 23, 2012
Bayou George, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased the z-lynk system with the ms3 headset, everything was fine for about a month, the headset stopped working but you could give it a tap on the side and all was well. Monday I called Garrett to find about warranty no warrant paperwork had to be done, they shipped me a new set with return paid label for FedEx got it on Thursday no hassle. I have had nothing but great experiences dealing with Garrett. I am a Garrett fan for life, and a big fan of Bart Davis at Big Boy Hobbies too. Now I am waiting on Garrett to start shipping new Z-Lynk AT-pro Pointer, soon I hope.

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got the MS-3 system and tried it out Saturday. Worked flawlessly for over two hours as temps went from 70 to 85 degrees. Will try to post again to update, but it was good right out of the box and if I have no issues, I will probably sell my original set. The nice thing is that the total set comes with an AT connector so if I ever get lucky and can afford an AT, I can switch my Z-lynk over without a problem.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the original Z-Lynk and my WT-1 transmitter died again yesterday. That’s the second time. So basically I get a year out of a transmitter before it dies. Good thing Garrett has good support. Too bad I need it so much.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the z-link and headphones and simply love it! I have used mine for about eight months in all sorts of weather with no issues.

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta admit, I won one from Garrett’s find of the month last year, still haven’t taken it out of the box. Don’t mind the cord at all. Guess you get used to it when you start out that way.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta admit, I won one from Garrett’s find of the month last year, still haven’t taken it out of the box. Don’t mind the cord at all. Guess you get used to it when you start out that way.

Try it. You won't want to go back to the cord.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread