Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400,
Minelab X Terra 705,
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett "Carrot" Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my ACE 400 for a week now, and I confess to being a little frustrated. In my previous incarnation in metal detecting (mid 90s to 00) I had a C-Scope, and never failed to at the very least find a few coins. In the week that I have had the ACE 400 I have found 1 flattened tennis ball can, several pop tops and pull rings, a penny that looks like it was eaten by a lawn mower, and a piece of foil. This morning I was up early and went to the beach by the Gulf of Mexico. I was working above the high tide line in dry sand, detector on coin mode. Worked a city block work of beach in both directions. I got several signals showing about 70, but when I stopped to zero in on them.... nothing. That happened 5 or 6 times. I found 2 pull tabs (one a bit over 9 inches deep), and a piece of foil. Either I was doing something wrong, or that is the cleanest section of beach on the planet. I was in coin mode the entire time, and did the factory reset prior to staring.

What am I doing wrong? I anticipated a learning curve... but geesh.....

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is very possible the beach was as clean as you say. Try doing some tests at home on different targets. Bury them at different depths and see what you get.

OP
OP
P

Pops1959

Feb 8, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400,
Minelab X Terra 705,
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is very possible the beach was as clean as you say. Try doing some tests at home on different targets. Bury them at different depths and see what you get.

I think that's a good idea. I meant to say in my original post that while I was at the beach this morning I kicked a 4 inch hole in the sand and dropped a dime into it. When I scanned over it I got a clear reading for a dime.

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say clean beach or you're hitting the wrong spots. Maybe the wind blew a fresh, deep layer of sand over all the targets. Last 3 beaches I went to I barely made it away from the entrance because there was so much to dig.

I run my ace 350 flat out as high and wide as I can at the beach. Digging is easy so might as well get everything. If it falses too much then I'll back the sensitivity down.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hang in there. Once you get through the initial learning curve you will be rolling. Beaches are a great place to learn your detector. Keep it in coin mode for now but run the power as high as possible without lots of falsing signals. I would hit a stretch of beach on a weekend evening (when the beach goers are leaving and before the local detectorists sweep it clean...) right where all the activities are located, near the volleyball nets and pier and main towel line. Stay away from wet sand until you learn your detector as this area can cause a lot of great sounding ghost signals.

OP
OP
P

Pops1959

Feb 8, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400,
Minelab X Terra 705,
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there. Once you get through the initial learning curve you will be rolling. Beaches are a great place to learn your detector. Keep it in coin mode for now but run the power as high as possible without lots of falsing signals. I would hit a stretch of beach on a weekend evening (when the beach goers are leaving and before the local detectorists sweep it clean...) right where all the activities are located, near the volleyball nets and pier and main towel line. Stay away from wet sand until you learn your detector as this area can cause a lot of great sounding ghost signals.

Thank you! Your encouraging words are just what I need. That, a more practice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread