Garrett Pro-Pointer Question/Is it Defective?

Metalman13

Apr 4, 2019
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and just getting back into metal detecting after a long hiatus.

I was tired of using a sifter every time I dug up a hole (part of the reason why I took a break from detecting).

Anyways, I want to get serious in my detecting, so I bought myself a Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Garrett Carrot). I was happy to have purchased it and excited to go hunting with it. However, when I turn it on, it beeps when moved in the air. Is this normal? I find that it only does that when I turn it on in the horizontal, then start pointing it downwards. After the movement is stopped, the beeping stops. I'm not swinging the pointer fast either, just turning it normally.

When I turn it on in the vertical, the problem goes away. No more beeping when pointing it up and down in the air.

I might also add that the beeping goes away when I re-tune it in midair, of course.

Is it normal for a new Garrett Carrot to be acting this way? I would appreciate your response, thank you.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Metalman13! Take a look at Forum: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might consider jumping over to Garrett Electronics, Inc. and contacting Garrett by phone (or e-mail), etc.

tn_moved_over.gif
3rd - I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to FORUM > METAL DETECTING > FORUM BRANDS > GARRETT for more exposure.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Metalman13! Take a look at Forum: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might consider jumping over to Garrett Electronics, Inc. and contacting Garrett by phone (or e-mail), etc.

tn_moved_over.gif
3rd - I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to FORUM > METAL DETECTING > FORUM BRANDS > GARRETT for more exposure.

Can we nominate mods for service awards ?
You and Jeff both deserve it!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is something that may or may not be of help. The Garrett carrot is 9 inches long. The detecting area is from the tip back to about 6 1/2 inches from the tip. If you have a ring on and the ring is close to the 6 1/2 inch mark it will detect the ring. The way I use my carrot is if the dirt is out of the hole i lay the carrot flat and move it over the dirt. when the carrot come on full strength signal i slowley pull it back to me till the signal starts chattering i stop and the object is right at the end of the tip

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground balance the pinpointer before scanning. Place the tip onto the soil away from your target then turn it on.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia :skullflag: I think Gare has a pretty good idea to look into, I have two carrots and neither one have ever done what you describe.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Try putting a quarter inside the battery cap. Your batteries might just need added compression. I have a quarter in each of my older Pro Pointers.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett quit unexpectedly on me today. I put in a new battery and nothing. It would start to work then quit. I called Garrett. They asked me what kind of battery I was using. I had a duracell in it. They said those aren’t recommended as the battery posts are a fair shorter than the energizer. I bought a new energizer and put it in and now it works perfectly. I guess the carrot like bunnies. Try that.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd use a non-compressible spacer on the battery bottom - or - tighten the battery cap real tight.
Sounds like battery issue

OP
OP
M

Metalman13

Apr 4, 2019
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. I'm glad I made an account here!

I forgot to mention that I didn't even start to hunt with it. The Pro-Pointer AT hasn't even touched the ground!

This problem only happens sometimes. I find it happens 1 out of 7 times. It's a little strange.
It might be a battery issue. I don't know for certain. The Carrot came with an Eveready battery included.
I made sure to stay away from ANY metal (clothes, surroundings, etc.) AND ground when troubleshooting the Carrot.

I bought the Carrot from Bass Pro Shops, so I think it's legit.

I don't want to tighten the pro-pointer with a spacer. It's a new product. But yeah, it does sound like a battery problem.

Based on the responses here, I'm starting to think I have a defective product...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread