Garrett Pro-Pointer Question/Is it Defective?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By Metalman13
  • 1 Post By BC1969
  • 1 Post By vpnavy
  • 2 Post By BC1969
  • 2 Post By Gare
  • 2 Post By GopherDaGold
  • 1 Post By G.A.P.metal
  • 1 Post By smokeythecat
  • 2 Post By Metalman13

Thread: Garrett Pro-Pointer Question/Is it Defective?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2019
    California
    Bounty Hunter Prospector
    4 times
    Metal Detecting

Question Garrett Pro-Pointer Question/Is it Defective?

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and just getting back into metal detecting after a long hiatus.

I was tired of using a sifter every time I dug up a hole (part of the reason why I took a break from detecting).

Anyways, I want to get serious in my detecting, so I bought myself a Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Garrett Carrot). I was happy to have purchased it and excited to go hunting with it. However, when I turn it on, it beeps when moved in the air. Is this normal? I find that it only does that when I turn it on in the horizontal, then start pointing it downwards. After the movement is stopped, the beeping stops. I'm not swinging the pointer fast either, just turning it normally.

When I turn it on in the vertical, the problem goes away. No more beeping when pointing it up and down in the air.

I might also add that the beeping goes away when I re-tune it in midair, of course.

Is it normal for a new Garrett Carrot to be acting this way? I would appreciate your response, thank you.
    BC1969 and vpnavy like this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    9748 times
    Try to clean the battery compartment of corrosion.
    No it isn't normal for it to do that.
    I have two of them.
    Welcome to Tnet!

BC
    vpnavy likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    14356 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Metalman13! Take a look at Forum: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
    2nd - You might consider jumping over to Garrett Electronics, Inc. and contacting Garrett by phone (or e-mail), etc.
    3rd - I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to FORUM > METAL DETECTING > FORUM BRANDS > GARRETT for more exposure.
    BC1969 likes this.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.
    "...not my circus, not my monkeys..."

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    9748 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vpnavy View Post
    1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Metalman13! Take a look at Forum: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
    2nd - You might consider jumping over to Garrett Electronics, Inc. and contacting Garrett by phone (or e-mail), etc.
    3rd - I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to FORUM > METAL DETECTING > FORUM BRANDS > GARRETT for more exposure.
    Can we nominate mods for service awards ?
    You and Jeff both deserve it!

Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    1037 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Here is something that may or may not be of help. The Garrett carrot is 9 inches long. The detecting area is from the tip back to about 6 1/2 inches from the tip. If you have a ring on and the ring is close to the 6 1/2 inch mark it will detect the ring. The way I use my carrot is if the dirt is out of the hole i lay the carrot flat and move it over the dirt. when the carrot come on full strength signal i slowley pull it back to me till the signal starts chattering i stop and the object is right at the end of the tip
    Only TWO things in the world that spook my horses THINGS THAT MOVE and THINGS THAT DON'T MOVE !!!

Charter Member
    us
    Watch For Motorcycles

Dec 2009
    St. Charles County, Missouri
    Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett Carrot
    2101 times
    Ground balance the pinpointer before scanning. Place the tip onto the soil away from your target then turn it on.
    Watch for Motorcycles

us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779.. now in Catlin N.Y.
    Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer Tesoro Tejon, Land or Sea Pointer, Garrett Pointer, King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA Lesche 28" Ground Shark Treasure Wise Diggers
    5442 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Was the pro pointer bought from a Authorized Garrett Dealer ?
    AllenJ likes this.
    I`v been detecting for 49 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    5083 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia I think Gare has a pretty good idea to look into, I have two carrots and neither one have ever done what you describe.

us
    Jul 2010
    348 times
    Try putting a quarter inside the battery cap. Your batteries might just need added compression. I have a quarter in each of my older Pro Pointers.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    25739 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My Garrett quit unexpectedly on me today. I put in a new battery and nothing. It would start to work then quit. I called Garrett. They asked me what kind of battery I was using. I had a duracell in it. They said those aren’t recommended as the battery posts are a fair shorter than the energizer. I bought a new energizer and put it in and now it works perfectly. I guess the carrot like bunnies. Try that.
    BC1969 likes this.

us
    Mar 2013
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    3259 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'd use a non-compressible spacer on the battery bottom - or - tighten the battery cap real tight.
    Sounds like battery issue
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

us
    Apr 2019
    California
    Bounty Hunter Prospector
    4 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. I'm glad I made an account here!

I forgot to mention that I didn't even start to hunt with it. The Pro-Pointer AT hasn't even touched the ground!

This problem only happens sometimes. I find it happens 1 out of 7 times. It's a little strange.
    It might be a battery issue. I don't know for certain. The Carrot came with an Eveready battery included.
    I made sure to stay away from ANY metal (clothes, surroundings, etc.) AND ground when troubleshooting the Carrot.

I bought the Carrot from Bass Pro Shops, so I think it's legit.

I don't want to tighten the pro-pointer with a spacer. It's a new product. But yeah, it does sound like a battery problem.

Based on the responses here, I'm starting to think I have a defective product...
    BC1969 and G.A.P.metal like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links