GARRETT SCORPION GOLD STINGER

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't like the Stinger for some reason. It might have been a nice detector but I liked the Lobo better. It just felt more natural for me. There are other nice gold detectors, like the GMT, Gold Bug, Minelab Eureka Gold and the more pricey GPX 4000 and the SD series. I never used the 4000 but did the older 3500 and found it to be heavier than the Lobo plus lots more $$$.

Willy

The Gold Stinger is a surprisingly good detector.. with an incredibly CRAPPY battery replacement scheme. Basically, you gotaa tear apart the detector to replace the 3 (!!!) 9v batteries. It should also sell for a coupla hundred $'s less. As it is, the G.S. is an embarrassment and shows just how much garrett cares about prospecting/prospectors. ...Willy.

hipmount

Oct 4, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
3" Keene suction dredge, 2 hand sluices, Garrett Gold Stinger, Whites 6000 di Pro (keeps on ticking) ~ Whites GMT ~ Fisher gold bug 2
I just picked up a G.S. at a pawn shop for $70. Only flaw I found was ..... the audio is only mono (not stereo). Did a bench test and hey ..... it worked. Just need to wait for 'break-up' (spring).

hip ~

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
The Stinger has been around for quite some time. Never owned one but should have! I owned the Goldbug - hated the fact that it had no discrimination. Very limited potential due to that fact. At least the Stinger and the Tesoro supertraq have discrimination - they can do double duty with coins and the such.

R

robert roy

One has to wonder just what these engineers were thinking when they designed some of these machines like the Stinger you were talking about. Why would they make it so difficult to put batteries in the dang machine. $70.00 sounds like a good price if it still preforms well.

RObert R

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
I've heard the gold stinger is actually a really good working detector. The 15khz frequency is supposed to be really hot as a coin shooter too. I was also told it takes a little practice to get used to it, BUT works well once you understand it.

I've been thinking of picking up a used one as I would like to give it a try.

Thanks and HH!!! ;)

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
I've had one for over 10 years - even have the 4.5 and 12" coils that are no longer made. Good all around detector, but is susceptible to EMI except in TR mode.

hipmount

Oct 4, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
3" Keene suction dredge, 2 hand sluices, Garrett Gold Stinger, Whites 6000 di Pro (keeps on ticking) ~ Whites GMT ~ Fisher gold bug 2
dan_h said:
I've had one for over 10 years - even have the 4.5 and 12" coils that are no longer made. Good all around detector, but is susceptible to EMI except in TR mode.
Willy said:
It IS a good detector.. but not at the price it's being sold at. ..Willy.

dan_h & Willy ~
Just received a owners manual in the mail yesterday .... and checked the specs (on the net). All my other machines are stereo.

As you have had more time on this machine than I have ..... got a question? Is the audio designed to be stereo? This unit seems to be only mono.

Oh and roger that ...... about the battery replacement design ..... *sheesh*
That could be why the phone-jack is tweaked ..... a wee bit downward.

hip ~

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I have the Garrett Scorpion and took a long time to learn how to use the dials propperly. Now I show local people how to use it.

I'm slow to catch on but show people a better way to do it once I do catch on.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I got one last year, and did better then average on my ring finds. It tends to bang hard on anything round with a center in it such as washers, round pulltabs and of course rings. The disc mode is really nice to hunt coins with. I think that it is the best machine that I have ever used for hunting Canadian coins. Below is a pic of my rings found last year.

Attachments

• scporpion rings.jpg
    scporpion rings.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 879
  • scporpion rings.jpg
    scporpion rings.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 442

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I got a pretty decent deal on one and couldn't pass it up. So far it's been better for me than my Silver uMax was (I know, heresy) and I'm not entirely convinced that it's not as good as the ACE I've been using as of late. I really can't say anything bad about it except the battery arrangement! It gets dogged out a lot as not being deep-maybe there are others deeper, but I've had plenty of finds that my digger would almost completely disappear into the hole! I've found a gold necklace with mine, silver coins, washers, enough clad to keep me interested, and some cool relics to boot. I've discovered that on tot lots I can get very close to poles-the threshold rises, but if you pass over a target you still get a blip! The DD coil does pretty well in the trashy old homesites I've hunted, the discrimination works well, and if I get tired I can hip mount it!

It IS susceptible to EMI-very much so. However, you get used to that and can usually tell the good targets from the interference. Certainly there are places where it's just annoying as heck, but in general I don't have any real trouble with mine. The output is mono, so I got a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, some cheap earbud type headphones, and clipped the useless earbud off. Some of the places I hunt need one eye and one ear to be open anyway, so this isn't a problem for me either.

For $70 it won't take any time to pay for itself either!! :headbang:

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
pyledriver said:
I got a pretty decent deal on one and couldn't pass it up. So far it's been better for me than my Silver uMax was (I know, heresy) and I'm not entirely convinced that it's not as good as the ACE I've been using as of late. I really can't say anything bad about it except the battery arrangement! It gets dogged out a lot as not being deep-maybe there are others deeper, but I've had plenty of finds that my digger would almost completely disappear into the hole! I've found a gold necklace with mine, silver coins, washers, enough clad to keep me interested, and some cool relics to boot. I've discovered that on tot lots I can get very close to poles-the threshold rises, but if you pass over a target you still get a blip! The DD coil does pretty well in the trashy old homesites I've hunted, the discrimination works well, and if I get tired I can hip mount it!

It IS susceptible to EMI-very much so. However, you get used to that and can usually tell the good targets from the interference. Certainly there are places where it's just annoying as heck, but in general I don't have any real trouble with mine. The output is mono, so I got a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, some cheap earbud type headphones, and clipped the useless earbud off. Some of the places I hunt need one eye and one ear to be open anyway, so this isn't a problem for me either.

For $70 it won't take any time to pay for itself either!! :headbang:
Do you mean the Ace is better or the Scorpion is better?

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, they're very different.. With the Scorpion I dig everything with that certain sound, and some that just sound 'different'. So far I haven't found anything earth shattering, but I have found a silver dime at 7". I think there's still a lot this detector can do that I haven't discovered. I've been using the ACE lately because it's cool with it's display and tones, but so far I think I'd be about evenly matched swinging either one. I got a good deal on that one too and I'm really trying to rack up some good finds with it. I'm gonna need more time with both before I'm ready to say which one I think is truly 'better'!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread