Ace 250 owners - you have the best low end detector

R

robert roy

Re: Ace 250 owners - Location is everything?

They say location is everything. Maybe that applies to Metal Detectors as well. I guess I am lucky because I live in an area wnere mineralization is not a big issue ( except at some sports fields where red iron dirt seems to have been trucked in and added to the ball fields). What IS wierd is where my MXT gets lots of Hot Rock readings (I don't have the 6x10DD coil yet) my Ace 250 doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Now that IS strange.

I can honestly say that location is probably the issue here. There are some regions where the Ace and other preset detectors are NOT going to do well, but be just fine in others. Remember, the Ace 250 was not designed as a high end machine. I can also say that I have almost NEVER had a problem with the Ace.

From what I have read, I probably would not take it to the beach as some black sand areas are worse than others. Have not tried it yet at a fresh water beach. My best guess is that its not the machine, its the location the machine is being used.

Regards
Robert R

OP
OP
bavarianminister

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
Well said RobRoy! If I were to go to the beach - then I would probably purchase a beach machine. Funny thing about the ACE - I have some high end detectors in my arsenal - and I'll usually pick the ACE to detect with. The ACE performs nearly as well as the high end units out there. Depth is great - discrimination is about as good as it get - and the little yellow wonder produces a lot of good finds for me.

Bavarianminister

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
I purchased my Ace 250 last September. I live in Iowa, so my detecting time was relatively brief. Thanksgiving was the last weekend that I was able to get out before the ground froze. But I did manage to pull over 500 coins in about two and a half months of detecting. Out of those, I managed two silver, seven wheaties and one IH. I am still learning the detector, but I do feel it is a good machine for the money. I have the feeling that I don't have the depth that I would like to have - I haven't dug many targets over five inches or so, but I'm still learning what the machine is telling me. I don't dig every signal, I try to see if it has a repeatable signal first. Maybe I'm passing up good targets. I think when the snow melts here, that I will try and dig a few more targets and see what I find. At any rate, I would recommend the Ace 250 to any beginner. I feel it is a great machine for the money.

HH to all!

littledutch

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Hmm, with regard to preset machines, my ACE didn´t work well here (Germany, although when I was in France it worked fine), so I sold it (Will maybe get another someday), but my mates got an XP ADX250 which is also preset, and that works fine here. I think it depends where the makers preset it for, ground conditions etc.,
We also have some places where I can´t get my Gold Maxx Power to settle down ( 18 kHz ), but the GMaxx II (Same maker, almost identical machine, but 4,6 kHz), works perfectly.
Problem with my area is, it´s full of extinct volcano´s, so ground mineralisation probably has something to do with it.

HH Ray

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
There are a lot of people on here that has a lot more detecting time under their belts than I do . I
started out a little over a year ago , & purchased a new bounty hunter time ranger . I read all the rave
reviews about the ace 250 & purchased one new for my wife . We have hunted quite a bit together &
compared signals , signal depth , signal strenght & actual dug targets . Now I know that the time ranger
costs more than the ace 250 so compairing the two on an equal basis isn't really fair . However most
people on here is really quick to bash the bounty hunters & praise the ace . I know nothing at all about
the F2 so I won't attempt to comment on it . I do know one member tested the F2 over a pot of dirt &
announced that it was junk . That same member in a later post stated that no way could you test a
detector over a pot of dirt . If I'm not badly mistaken that same member is one of the people that gave
the F2 a lowly one star rating on metal detector reviews . Nuff said about that .
I can truthfully say the time ranger easily spanks the ace in my soil . I just purchased a CZ3D and
I can already tell that the 3D will easily spank the time ranger . Again the CZ3D costs more than the
time ranger . What does all this tell you ? You decide .
In my opinion the ace 250 is a well built detector that is well worth the $200.00 that it costs . Also
in my opinion it is an entry level detector . Maybe the best entry level detector out there by price if you
forget about the silver u max . Just my inexperienced observations & opinions .

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Hillbilly,
I'm glad you've got some detectors that are working great for you. I usually tell people the Ace works well in my soil. I know it can't work for all soils very well. I used to have a CZ5 and it was a nickel killer. Probably one of the best detectors ever built. I believe the CZ3D is real similar. So it has to be good. Well good hunting to you..

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
As long as this thread has the attention of the Ace 250 owners I'd like to ask you guys something. While sitting here bored to death with another snowstorm raging outside. I looked longingly at my MD's including the Ace. I noted a puzzle. The shaft on all of my Tectors are metal ? ??? Hmm I thought, I know that the shafts are not reported with a signal because they move at the same speed as the coil is swung, and even that isn't really true if you think about it since they are on different planes. But none the less I had to wonder what Kind of effect does the Metal shaft on a MD have. So The ace was handy and my least expensive detector except for a BH, but I worried about taking the BH apart because it already has a sensitive wire so to speak. So I took the coil off the shaft of the Ace and hand held it for an air test. I'd like to know what results others might get before I say what I think I got. :o

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
You´ll notice that most bottom stems are not made of metal. You can use metal bolts on coils on all motion non pinpointing machines to. I just wouldn´t want to try a metal bolt in a pinpointing machine for some reason LOL

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
md dog, what did you get??????????what did you get?????????????? :-X :-\

gare442

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I've had my ACE 250 for about three months. I went hunting with a buddy of mine that has a White's MXT. My buddy had never used an ACE. He wanted to find out it's capabilites, because he is in the market for a backup MD. I followed him around and would pick up the same signals he got. He was impressed, which made me feel very good about my purchase. :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread