Need Help with my ACE 250 - beeping like crazy

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
My ACE is just less than a year old...
Used it heavily last winter and spring and then it sat all summer (I hate the heat)
Used it once early fall and all was well.

Went to use it on Sat and the MD is beeping like crazy - up and down the scale. I put it next to my rings and it was silent - lol! I replaced the batteries (even though they showed full) and left it in the house overnight to maintain the temp. Sun am - same thing - beeping like crazy.

So I have no clue what could be wrong. It has not gotten wet, all the connections are good.
Does anyone have any ideas (other than called Garrett)?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Stacylee926 said:
My ACE is just less than a year old...
Used it heavily last winter and spring and then it sat all summer (I hate the heat)
Used it once early fall and all was well.

Went to use it on Sat and the MD is beeping like crazy - up and down the scale. I put it next to my rings and it was silent - lol! I replaced the batteries (even though they showed full) and left it in the house overnight to maintain the temp. Sun am - same thing - beeping like crazy.

So I have no clue what could be wrong. It has not gotten wet, all the connections are good.
Does anyone have any ideas (other than called Garrett)?
That is the same thing that happned to my..Garrett GTI 1500 and the only thing you can do with it is send it to Garrett for repairs.......I have also heard of other ..Garrett detectors having that problem the Ace The GTI and other Garrett models.sent mine in from the day i sent it i had it back in 8 days and works fine now......................................................................==Jim==

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
With the machine off - push and hold the power button for about 6 seconds. You will hear 2 beeps. This may help? Remove and reinstall the coil connector. Then look under the coil for a dime taped to it! ;D

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I know just turning the 250 off then on will reset the modes except custom. I'm not really sure just what gets reset other than the custom mode when holding the on button for 6 seconds? I just thought he could try it?

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
khouse said:
I know just turning the 250 off then on will reset the modes except custom. I'm not really sure just what gets reset other than the custom mode when holding the on button for 6 seconds? I just thought he could try it?

Yep, according to the manual, if you press the power button until you get two beeps it will return the unit to the factory settings. That means everything gets reset. It might just help. However it may not. Loose wires or something can make electronics like this go VERY wiggy.

I am still not convinced mine is quite right. I can't use the pinpoint function well, and it seems to get worse daily. It may be because I am hunting in a high trash area, it may be because I am a newb, or it MAY be the machine. The pinpoint function works seems to work like it is supposed to about one out of three times, sometimes less.

Often it will stay humming high pitch while I drag back for over a foot. Sometimes I can even pick up the coil and point it at the sky, and it STILL whines away! Other times I get almost no noise at all, and will only hear a very weak attempt at a tone, even though I am right over the target.

I think the warranty is two years on these. Since I am having some success by using X patters and sweeps, I will try some less trashy spots and see what is up. I have time if I need to return it. Until then, I am learning a lot by NOT pinpointing. The goal is to do a sweep and know just where I should dig without any formal, long ritual!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Everyone knows that the moon is full of meteorites. So when you point the 250 in the air that why it's beeping! Well down here on earth if your in a very trashy site you'll have trouble pinpointing with the stock or larger coil. Here's why. In PP mode all targets will be detected. This means it just tones over several targets at once. This will give make you think there's a large target under the coil. Also if you hit the PP button right over a target or trash it will detune the target completely out. Then you'll get either no tone or a tiny tone. Your detector is working fine. You just need the sniper coil. That's what it's made for. It will pick up less targets under the coil.

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
khouse said:
Everyone knows that the moon is full of meteorites. So when you point the 250 in the air that why it's beeping! Well down here on earth if your in a very trashy site you'll have trouble pinpointing with the stock or larger coil. Here's why. In PP mode all targets will be detected. This means it just tones over several targets at once. This will give make you think there's a large target under the coil. Also if you hit the PP button right over a target or trash it will detune the target completely out. Then you'll get either no tone or a tiny tone. Your detector is working fine. You just need the sniper coil. That's what it's made for. It will pick up less targets under the coil.

Thanks for confirming this for me! I had suspected as much. I will be getting the sniper coil, but that will have to wait until I make some finds worth money, or perhaps father's day or my Bday. Just spent money on a detector, and on an adjunct professor's pay I have to justify expenses lol.

Until then I will use other methods of pinpointing, and maybe find a less trashy area to investigate.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Depending of where your hunting you might just start digging out some trash. Then re sweep and dig some more. Sometimes I can't get a good beep or pinpoint. I swear there must be 5 targets under my coil. When I dig the hole sometimes there's only 2 targets. One a good find and one a trash item. Dig a few out and see? Or maybe you can just skip that site until you get the sniper.

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well, the site is just too convenient for me to ignore, being across the street. I will try several diff techniques until I start getting good results. I am already learning the different tones etc. Right now I just won't dig when teh ID jumps all over. Later I will go back and hit it with the sniper when I get one. Pinpoint probe would help too, but like I said, I have to justify my purchases!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread