Snow Hunt #18..Friggen Cold ! - A Winter Reality Hunt :)

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
darnedcold2.jpg

I was off today, so I planned another snow hunt. I hit 3 snow hills that have seen a lot of traffic from snow boarders and tobogganers. I checked the weather, and posted it in the pic. It was a cold kind of day. I wore my long-johns, winter gloves and funny looking Russian spy hat. my weapon of choice was my CAMO ACE 250. When I got to my first hill, there was a nice layer of frost on all the trees, and I eventually got one on my mustache and beard too.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

icecrystals2.jpg

Here's looking out my left front window driving to my first hill. There was a lot of crystallization from the high humidity. I put on a hot pack on the batteries before I left the house this morning, as I doubt that the batteries would have kept the CAMO ACE running for more then an hour in this type of weather.

goodbadugly2.jpg

Here's the reality finds! You got to dig the junk if you want to dig the good targets. Anyone who just bought a metal detector and has not gotten too many good targets yet, don't worry. We "ALL" dig plenty of junk. Some of the best hunters are the ones who dig nearly all of the targets. Most people don't post the junk, so you never really see much of it. It kind of gives you the impression that all the experienced guys dig nothing but good targets. That simply is just not so.

copperearring2.jpg

I always seem to get at least one piece of jewelry on a hunt. Today was no exception.....I found a neat copper (?) earring.​

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Thanks....We kinda get 6 months winter & 6 months non-winter up here. You kinda get used to the cold.

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
John-Edmonton said:
Thanks....We kinda get 6 months winter & 6 months non-winter up here. You kinda get used to the cold.
hey! nice finds! but how did you dig the frozen soil? here in Russia I have a very similar frozens and 7-8 months of winter and never try to dig during the winter...

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
nahabit said:
John-Edmonton said:
hey! nice finds! but how did you dig the frozen soil? here in Russia I have a very similar frozens and 7-8 months of winter and never try to dig during the winter...

I don't dig in the soil. I hunt where kids go snowboarding and tobogganing. The finds are usually in the snow or just sitting on the ground underneath.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
John, Mom is from Newfoundland and would tell me similar stories of the snow. Tough to get out of going to school when you're mom skated miles through blizzards across a frozen lake for the privilege of going. I haven't been further west than Sault Ste. Marie. I did a hockey camp there many years ago as a peewee. I definitely think you have an advantage me with the loonies and toonies. The US can't come up with a dollar coin we like so nobody uses them. After a week on my last visit to Mississauga, I had thirty-seven bucks in change. I had to buy something with it because it was slowing me down and pulling me to the left as I walked. Again, great hunting and best of luck to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread