Newbie Help with Ace

jbconner

Jan 13, 2008
Hello,I am new to Metal Dectecting.I bought a new Ace 150 and I wish I would have done more research,I would have got a 250.I have been hunting about 4 times and found a few wheat pennies and some sliver,When I have the 150 on coin mode and it goes off,at 1st it will flash coins then iron,Is this a coin or something else?Is the 250 much better than the 150,I am planning on getting a 250.Sometimes it will read coins then pulltab and iron.Any suggestions.Thanks alot Johnny...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually when the id numbers jump around like that it is trash. You should dig some to see and get experience on ID'ing targets.

Going up to the Ace 250 will only get you a couple different features but the trash will still jump around on the display. To move up you need to move up to the 1500 if you want to stick to Garrett. I suggest you start researching the Tesoro line up, like the Vaquero. They are very light weight too. If looking for gold rings, you have to dig a lot of pull tabs since they are in the same disc. range.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
A jumpy target usually indicates junk. But not all the time. Sometimes it means you have a good target next to a nail - etc.. You will get more iffy signals than rock solid ones. The key is to know which signals to dig. After a while when you hit a good signal you'll feel it in your gut that it's a good target.
The 250 gives you a pinpoint mode. This mode itself is worth the extra $50. The PP mode can give you more info on target size. It also can give you an indication of junk depending on the target fade when PPing.
Then lets add 12 target zones instead of 5 for the 150. Not to mention the ability to selectively reject or accept any or all target zones. I don't think the 250 users would disagree that the 250 is under priced. Compare the 250's features to others and you'll see that it compares to other detectors in the 4 to 500 dollar range.

R

robert roy

Sorry you had to be the one to get the Ace 150. Personally I'd take it back and tell the dealer your not happy with it. Spend the extra $50.00 and get the Ace 250. Dito with regards to the other posts. Just get yourself out from under that 150!
RR

OP
OP
jbconner

jbconner

Jan 13, 2008
I bought the 250 today and gave the 150 to my daughter.I got it for 219.00,I will try it out this weekend,I am going to go to a local park where all the collage kids hang out and a house that was built in the early 1800s.Thanks for the replies!!!!

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm a noob with a 250 myself, went out a few times - some in productive areas and some in random areas in the woods just to see if anything would ping. ( found a .22 (I think) bullet, not the shell, but the bullet, it pinged as a coin, found an old shell casing, have no idea what is is - looks like a "wolf" brand casing has a W and a T on it, nothing else. Bent all to pieces too, anyhow, what I've noticed is it will falsely ping as a coin due to swing speed and direction. If you're not sure, swing slower in both directions and then swing front and back. If they vary then a lot of times they're junk. - Like I said this is my limited experience talking so if anything I said is wrong, please say so as I would like to know also. Relic wise - I have no clue as I have yet to go anywhere where I can do that, but I do have a friend that has one Civil War house burnt down on his place and another that is still standing/being lived in and is going to let me "play" so to speak. Anyway, as of right now I still dig everything as I am learning, and you never know.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another thought on the jumping target....it could mean that the coin or item is sitting right on top the ground. This causes all kinds of noises and jumping of targets. Just remember not to run the sens. at full blast..usually 2 notches down from full does the best for me. HH and think you will like the ace 250.

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi

I have a 150 too and it works great!! You have already spent the money on your machine. The 250 isnt that much better. All you are really getting is a pinpointer for the extra 50 bux!! If you area really having trouble pinpointing targets you may want to get the 250, or just get a good probe instead.

As long as you take time to learn the tones of your machine, you will be fine. The LCD's for the 150 and 250 are not always on target. Using the tone, you will almost always have success IDing targets!!

I know if I was not happy with my machine I would go ahead and save and get a more powerful machine than the ace models.

PM me if you have any questions
Larry

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
There's more than just the pinpoint feature the 250 has over the 150. My post above lists them.

Fishstank

Sep 18, 2007
3rd Gen. Arizona Native
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I have the 250 and I LOVE IT!! I try to get out two three times
a week. I used to ask a lot of questions in the beginning. But as
time went by I just realized that a lot of my q's got answered by just
getting out there and experiencing my machine.

Stick to Tnet. It will answer a lot of your questions.

Fish

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Soil Fisher said:
I have the 250 and I LOVE IT!! I try to get out two three times
a week. I used to ask a lot of questions in the beginning. But as
time went by I just realized that a lot of my q's got answered by just
getting out there and experiencing my machine.

Stick to Tnet. It will answer a lot of your questions.

Fish

ditto....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread