Headphone Weirdness?

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
In June 2007 I bought a new GTI 1500 and have used it with a Killer Bee headphone (only 1 earcup) I bought around 5 years ago for $90. The threshold of the detector would increase by itself from the level I had set, and then return after scanning another item or using Last Mode. I returned the detector for warranty work - what was done was not explained in the paperwork - but the threshold variations continued.

I recently spent $20 to buy Panasonic RP-HT227 stereo phones to use with my PC and radios. The phones have excellent fidelity. Today I used the Panasonics instead of the Killer Bees with the '1500. The sound was far clearer and the threshold oddity was gone! Maybe the Killer Bees have the wrong impedance to use with the GTI 1500, and somehow create a feedback loop in addition to muffling the sound. I'll use the '1500/Panasonic combo some more to see if the problem has been solved.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the reasons I suggest hunters visit a MD dealer if at all possible to try different phones, etc and ask questions from someone that knows and isn't just interested in taking your money like some of the big box stores.

OP
OP
D

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
Per Melinda at Garrett, the GTI 1500 should be used with 8-ohm phones. The Killer B is 150 ohms. I should have double checked which headphones to use when I received the '1500 in June 07. Fortunately, I have only done local detecting with the '1500, so it won't be a big project to return to the parks and re-scan them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread