ACE 250 tricks and tips (suggestions please)

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I don't think anything better could be said about the Little Yeller Feller than 'the CRACKBADGER uses one !'

Best

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace in my opinion cant be beat for the price its the best dam machine you can buy pound for pound dollar for dollar . Ive used quattros xterras f2s and tesoros and the Ace out muscles manny of them. Especially for the price and ease of use and identifying coins and jewlry. The only machines i can see giving the ace a run for the money would be a whites dfx or whites mxt . Ore maybee a Fisher f75 . But these machines cost way more money.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stanjam said:
dalhut,

That was quite a lot to read, but was probably one of the BEST things I have ever read. I am new to the hobby, and after quite a bit of research decided on the ACE 250 as my first detector. While I have found that it does have its quirks, and I have yet to find anything except some clad and a lot of trash, I am loving it! This is a great lil machine, and your post has helped confirmed this!

In this post was a lot of information that I was in need of! While much I already knew (or suspected) it is good to see it in writing again. Very good explanation of the pinpointing function, which should help, and some goos info about what to do when hunting in areas that could present problems (like hunting in trashy areas). I also enjoyed the definition of common terms. There is a language that is very distinct to the hobby, and there are a number of terms that are used often. I was glad to see those defined here.

If you are new to the hobby, read his post! If you own an ACE, read it twice! Good stuff there!

EDIT

I just wanted to add that, thanks to that post, I have increased my coil's ability to find targets, and MY ability to find what my coil is telling me. Of course I still get the occasional ghost image, but I am pulling stuff out of the ground with greater frequency. I haven't been out much, but just yesterday I went out and in one half hour of hunting nearly doubled my coin count from previous hunts, with a lot less trash. Thanks.
Youre welcom - glad to help.
Since I compiled all that stuff, I have sold my Ace 250. In the end, I found it lacking in a few areas. I'm an experienced, long time detectorist and the llittle Ace wasnt getting me there.
But it still does the job. Glad you like it and are improving.

galaxion

Nov 15, 2009
newcastle upon tyne-north east uk
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250 6.5x9 and 12x9,also 4 inch sniper coil
:hello2: :coffee2:this has to be the most valued part of the forum me bein a ace 250 newbie aint cummin till xmas but im on here readin up on all the 250 posts this one bein my favorate thx from this crazy brit thx again chaps,,, and h,h to all , happy thanksgiven aswell folks keep posting .....

Apr 13, 2010
from Historyhunter1

In response to Andy,NM & the rechargeable batteries issue...

We should mention one more bit of info to not only diggers out there that would like to go the rechargeable route but also to the many detector manufacturers. While Andy's direction & responsibility is a way we should all take :thumbsup:, no different than properly disposing of all the garbage we dig up, we really need to get the manufacturers to lead the way in this. Since rechargeable batteries only supply 1.2 to 1.3 volts a piece compared to alkaline batteries at 1.5 to 1.65 volts, the metal detectors should be equipped with an additional battery (dummy) slot to add one more rechargeable battery to allow the rechargeables to compete with the life expectancy of the alkalines, eh ? That slot should be completely seperate from the main battery compartment so that a digger doesn't accidently put too many alkalines in & fry the circuit board. Of course the manufacturers could also throw in a 50 cent voltage regulator I.C. so that would never happen. If a detector manufacturer really wants to turn heads, then that company should do this simple task. One last note is that when using rechargeables in any detector, the detectors battery monitor may tell you your batteries are only at about 3/4 charge when in fact they are at full charge. This is simply because as I stated the rechareables run at a lower voltage. Thanks Andy for standing proud on that soap box. We should all take your advice. :hello2:

Angry1541

Oct 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scsomike,

First off congrats on getting a new detector. If you haven't metal detected before you are definately hooked now!

Anyway I have had my Ace 250 for a couple of years and it takes some time getting used to what it is telling you. What I do when I hunt is keep it in Jewelry mode and keep the sensitivity at 4 or 5 bars. This setting will eliminate iron and that should be fine for you. Sometimes when you discriminate too much you can sometimes lose good items. If there is a coin there and you are in jewelry mode, the 250 will tell you that there is a coin there. WHen you are in coin mode it should have the bars under nickle and then a break and then under penny and all the way up. I have had what the detctor tells me was a coin...or the signature of a coin...and it turned up being a rusty old horseshoe. IF you leave it in jewelry mode or all metal mode at least the detector will signal when it finds something and based on what it is telling you, then you can decide to dig it up or not.

HH

Funkman

Yeah...I can attest that the Jewelry mode has been the best setting I have found for pretty anything -- it's pretty much all I run on now...might switch to all metal when I have questionable signal...and there's not too much junk around.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched every Ace 250 video on YouTube that I could fine and even re-watched them again.After I bought mine I set up a coin garden in my backyard,all USA coins in depths of 2 inches to 6 inches & even 10 inches deep. I would swing the coil over each coin and see how it reads,do this several times and it becomes easier.After I did this for a couple of days I hit my front yard and found over $4 in coins in one week out of my front yard,I also found JUNK,nails,screws.a couple of beer cans,and a big ball of foil. Most coins were about 4-6 inches down,but I did find a couple of quarters over 12 inches down.

JAWSMC

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pt 1 .
I just took my ace 250 for a test run in the woods , My question is It hit on $1 in the silver zone , as i was walking and sweeping , It appeared under a piece of dead wood .as i stopped and hit pinpoint the strongest signal of bars was about quarter way up the meter . as I tried to double check and swept the area a few more times there was no signal , the sensitivity was up half way I even turned the sensitivity all the way up , it was to Rocky to dig so I let it be the depth was about 4" , the first time . " sort of a Ghost signal ? " but I did not get any other readings in the area since , I know I had the machine on as I was walking in the forest so there was no issue with mineralization ? any ideas .
Pt 2 . i stumbled upon a bunch of rocks where camper buried there trash , half hour later and there was a beer can but the pinpointing was way off , I dug towards the center but the object was actually right by the front the outer coil ?

But all in all it was a good Spring Start went for a nice hike found a coin or two ;-)

you have to make sure the wire is wrapped tightley around the pole in a spiral from top to bottom but not so tight that theres any force being put on the connections. Also imagine your using it and if you live in northern hemisphere you have to wrap the wire around the pole clockwise and in the southern hemisphere wrap it anti-clockwise hope this helps :)

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you have to make sure the wire is wrapped tightley around the pole in a spiral from top to bottom but not so tight that theres any force being put on the connections. Also imagine your using it and if you live in northern hemisphere you have to wrap the wire around the pole clockwise and in the southern hemisphere wrap it anti-clockwise hope this helps :)

Lol. That's funny right there. :)

AGirlGetsDirty

Aug 12, 2013
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab & Whites, Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is great stuff!, thanks for taking the time to post. My 205 just arrived today, will see how i like it compared to me xterra :). Ok, I am thinking I like it better, except for the pole moving, (need electrical tape) and having to wear headphones (but I usually go early enough to not use them and bug peeps). It's all GOOD!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread