Garrett GTI 2000 vs. 2500

D

dalef

I hope there are a few Garrett owners that read this part of the forum. I have gotten back in to MDing recently and am using a GTI 2000. The latest model is the 2500.

I happened to read on the Garrett forum that an upgrade is available and found out from Garrett it is $250. My question is whether or not the upgrade is worth it or should I put that money towards a new detector?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
Take a really close look at the new Tesoro DeLeon. I personally think your money would be better invested in it. It is much lighter and very easy to use. ALso you will never pay for any repairs do to the lifetime warranty.

Doug-Iowa
DJs Detectors

blazen70

Apr 20, 2003
Inland Empire, CA
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
I've got a 2500 and i'm not sure what the difference is between the two. If I was you, I would save for a second detector, like a gold detector or one you can use in water. No use upgrading to something you may already have. - Robert -

OP
OP
D

dalef

Thanks for the replies. From what the Garrett rep told me the electronics are better in the 2500 and it has more choices in the menus. But I think that saving for a new detector is a better option. I have never considered buying a Tesoro but will take a new look at what they offer.

Attachments

• Picture 518.jpg
    Picture 518.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Picture 4354.jpg
    Picture 4354.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 39

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I use a White's XLT currently.

I have to say if White's came out with a 250$ upgrade I would probably not be interested, and rather put that money aside for a new detector (most likely an underwater or gold detector).

Listening to these forums has showed me to rely more on my eyes and ears and less on the electronics.

just my 2 wheat pennies ;)

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
Lasivian said:
Listening to these forums has showed me to rely more on my eyes and ears and less on the electronics.

I have to agree totally with that. All the electronics and gizmos are great, but it us just like getting a high-end computer, if you don't know how to use it, it isn't worth anything but to the extent of your ability. The better you know how to read areas, what your sounds mean, how to identify good targets and how to discipline yourself, the better MD'er you will be.

Practice......... :D

HH
Chiz
8)

Ed Ohio

Apr 2, 2003
Sycamore, Ohio
GTI upgrade

I bought a 2000 when they first came out . The programing was often unstable a lot of false signals it just seems to me that it didn't ground balance very well. I got the upgrade this year and now it works great. I wish I had done it sooner. It is now stable they also replaced the coil that could have been the problem all along. The upgrade also adds a backlight to the display I feel it was worth the $250 bucks. Now if they could do something about the battery holders to keep them from cracking. Good luck on whatever way you go.
Happy Hunting
Ed Ohio :D

Attachments

• coins 029.JPG
    coins 029.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Good Thunder Park 001.JPG
    Good Thunder Park 001.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 45
  • seating liberty dime 002.JPG
    seating liberty dime 002.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 41
  • round copper holder 001.JPG
    round copper holder 001.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
D

dalef

Re: upgrade

Thanks for the info Ed. I haven't totally ruled out getting the upgrade. However, I have been looking at the DFX and Explorer 2 recently. The GTI 2000 was top of the line once and the DSP works pretty good overall but I would like to try another brand. Too bad there aren't any detector rental places that I know of here in Wisconsin.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I see a GTI 2000 on Ebay now and they want why to much for it seeing that the cost to upgrade it is also high..

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
if your having problems with the battery holders cracking just call garrett and they will send ya out a pair for free, they sent me out a couple pairs if battery holders for both of my machines. i have the gti 1500 and really have gotten spoiled by the size imaging, i haven't really used the back light yet but i'm sure i will next summer. i'd do the upgrade and get a different coil, thats a whole lot cheaper then shellin out another 8 or 9 hundred bucks on another detector that your gonna have ta relearn esp when ya have a great detector already. garrett also has great customer service

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: upgrade

dalef said:
Thanks for the info Ed. I haven't totally ruled out getting the upgrade. However, I have been looking at the DFX and Explorer 2 recently. The GTI 2000 was top of the line once and the DSP works pretty good overall but I would like to try another brand. Too bad there aren't any detector rental places that I know of here in Wisconsin.

Both my digging bud and I are former GTI users who switched to Explorers and there was never a moment of thought of going back. To spend $250 on the upgrade when that would be half of a used Explorer would crazy in my opinion. Now is the explorer for everyone, no, but for those who get it, or have the patience, it's one great detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread