Depth of Ace 250

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
What is the best way to "air test" my new ACE 250. What would the expected air tests be on the regular coil and the 4.5 Sniper coil in terms of inches?

I put a quarter and penny on the ground under a 7 inch box and can't get a signal with either coil, on coin mode, with the sensitivity all the way up.

Thanks!

Fishstank

Sep 18, 2007
3rd Gen. Arizona Native
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Turn it to four notches and run it on all metal mode. If you push the machine too much it will scramble the tones and then nothing is truley clear.

Fishstank

katzgalore

Greenie
Apr 10, 2008
The ACe 250 is good to about 6 inches with the standard coil,not much beyond that, unless of course the target is larger than your standard coin. The sniper coil is good to bout 4 to 5 inchs depending on the size of the target. ALSO depending on where you have your sensitivity set. Ground conditions will also have an impact.
Katz :cat:

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
You have to first test the area where you put the coin down for metal. Use the detector in the pinpoint mode and find a clean area in the ground. It should be about 16 inches square minimum. Then put the coin down in the center. Set the sensitivity all the way up. Set the detector in all metal mode. Then sweep. This really would be the maximum depth you could expect with a clean coin in that type of soil. I can get 8.5 (measured) inches on a silver dime with the stock coil. My sniper will hit the same dime at 6.5 (measured) inches. Your soil will vary. It goes deeper on a silver quarter, half and dollars.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Bury the coin and leave it there for a while, like weeks or months and come back to it. You may or may not get a signal on a coin down 7" with the ACE. It is more likely to happen with a quarter. I'm not going to start a coin "Aura" debate, but it is beyond proven in my experience that a freshly planted coin at 4 inches cannot be heard by some of the detectors I've used. This I have tried a few times with coins I've dug. Typical depth on the ACE will be about 3 1/2 to 5 inches. You can get more or less depending on conditions. When you get past 4 inches with the ACE, you're not going to get the best Target ID or sound. For best depth results with that machine, turn up the sensitivity to a setting it can tolerate......5 bars was the most practical high sens setting for me here in New York. Keep the coil low to the ground and investigate your deeper iffy or one way signals. These are going to be your deeper signals. You can get down to a wheat at or to 6" inches with the ACE, but the signal will either be one way or just not solid on the target ID. With practice, you can use your pin pointer to verify that there is an object below. The pin pointer goes deep and chops through.

Best,
Ricardo

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
Ricardo im glad you replied to this question.All of your statements were helpful for me .I ve been using the ACE for the last couple months and i totally agree with you...That being said which detector would you recommend for someone who wants to upgrade from the Ace 250.My wife is going to upgrade from her bounty hunter to my Ace250.Thanks in advance.

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Ricardo,

Thanks for your tips and comments. I have been using the ACE 250 for the past six months, and have had quite a bit of success, but I normally have not found a lot of deep targets. I will use your suggestions and see if it improves my finds. Almost all of my finds have been in the top 2 or 3 inches. I have found a few targets as deep as 5 to 6 inches, but 99% of them are in the top inch or two of soil. Normally, if a target is not repeatable from two directions, I won't dig it. I'm sure I have passed up a few good targets, but in my experience, if a target is not repeatable sweeping back and forth in both directions, as well as at a 90 degree angle, it is usually junk.

For the most part, I'm not convinced that the ACE detects reliably much past 2 or 3 inches.

HH,

littledutch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread