DEEP SIGNALS WITH THE ACE 250

husker du

Apr 30, 2008
Thornton, CO.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
howdy- since i've been finding a lot of clad in the 2-4" range but no deeper signals or any silver/older coins to show for my efforts, i'm curious to know what the deeper, iffier signals may sound like- are they loud and repeatable? can they be pinpointed with relative ease? i often wear my headphones around my neck because they squeeze my ears- i turn the volume up all the way and have no difficulty hearing clear targets but wonder if this may sometimes prevent me from hearing the more quiet, less obvious signals. bad idea? i've put in about 40 hours since getting the ace in early april. HH

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Depending on your soil and if there are any deep coins at all the 250 will get them. The 250 does not have a modulated tone on a target. This means that a deeper coin and a shallow coin will beep the same. So I would just say that you have not had your coil over a deep coin yet. Also you need to run your sensitivity as high as you can without falsing. In my ground that is about 7 bars.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
From the Rockie Mts westward your Ace 250 is topped out at 4" in our nasty soil here.. Figure half what your air tests read for depth in the western soil. This is a near magical formula for most all detectors in OUR area, but ALL detectors do a bit better in less mineralized ground. The Ace is not designed for hunting in the high-iron inconsistent layered iron belt soil of the western USA, it is better served to use it in less mineralized soil such as the deep south or eastern USA, or Central Europe.. The Aces use a much older circuitry found more commonly in detectors created in the early to mid 80's.

Most people in those other areas are not aware of these facts but most of us are here in our area are. In fact, most people who have never hunted here are a bit puzzled at their poor depth results when they try hunting here, especially Minelab multi-freq or vlf users. Most Fisher vlf's or multi frequency go the absolute deepest in our soil here, bar none. This is why the GoldBug2 for example, is the most popular and productive nugget hunter found here, and the F-75 is the deepest coin hunter currently available for use here..

An F-2 will get maybe 1/2" better depth and a Silver uMax around to 1" more in Colorado soil than an Ace of any variety, for various reasons, but mostly because the F-2 and uMax use a faster processing circuit, including super fast auto-retune to threshold, silent or audible, plus they have extremely fast return to automatic ground balance - not incorporated into the Ace's circuitry. These two facts are also what gives the F-2's, F-4's, Compadre's, Cortez's, F-75's, Silver uMaxes, etc such superiority in cherry-picking in and between good and bad targets so much better and faster than even a very fine and fast machine such as the XP GoldMaxx.

Your Ace is doing just fine for it's particular design.

EasyMoney

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
If you are by chance like most newbies, running your ace with some form of discrimination IE; the coin, jewelery or what ever mode. Then there's the likely hood you could be suffering from something called masking. This is where the Iron content of the soil or any other type of metal which has been discriminated out is in close proximity to your intended target. The Ace will pick up on that discriminated out metal and thus null or rule out any signal. To illustrate this try your settings while placing a nail on the ground next to a dime. We all know how much the Ace loves dimes, but as you'll see, if you've descriminated out the Iron or steel of the nail it will also elliminate any response to the dime as well. Now try moving the nail further and further away. You'll eventually be able to get a signal for the dime but you'll also be able to see the distance away from any other descriminated out metal your targets must be in order for your machine to pick out the dime. Also keep in mind that ypou used a relatively small target like a nail for this experiment, a larger piece of metal or Iron deposit will have an even larger effect thus farther reaching.

csa-digger

May 2, 2008
Garner, nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250, garrett GTI 2500, tesoro tejon
i have an ace 250 and got a cw button a week or so ago that was 12 inches down, so it can get down there

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
How did you ever manage 12" on an Ace?

Even in air without the ground causing a decrease in depth - a quarter will only read 8" with the Ace 100 through 500 series I've used, and the Ace 250 I owned. Same with a cw button. Even a Nexus couldn't do 12" on a button sized target in the ground, regardless of any "halo" effect or oxidation loosening little pieces of the button, and even when using Nexus's largest coil. The Nexus is the deepest hand-held detector on the planet, even deeper than the F-75.

Check this out, it's done by some real Pros, probably THE best and most reliable testing crew to be found.

The first test tests a nickel-sized coin and the second test is a buried hoard test.

The soil in England is much less mineralized than in the S. USA

The second site speaks for itself.

http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/hoard_test.htm

http://www.nexusdetectors.com/Tests.html

It's pretty strange that someone can get 12" on a cw button with an
Ace. Absolutely amazing!

EasyMoney

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
EasyMoney said:
How did you ever manage 12" on an Ace?

Even in air without the ground causing a decrease in depth - a quarter will only read 8" with the Ace 100 through 500 series I've used, and the Ace 250 I owned. Same with a cw button. Even a Nexus couldn't do 12" on a button sized target in the ground, regardless of any "halo" effect or oxidation loosening little pieces of the button, and even when using Nexus's largest coil. The Nexus is the deepest hand-held detector on the planet, even deeper than the F-75.

Check this out, it's done by some real Pros, probably THE best and most reliable testing crew to be found.

The first test tests a nickel-sized coin and the second test is a buried hoard test.

The soil in England is much less mineralized than in the S. USA

The second site speaks for itself.

http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/hoard_test.htm

http://www.nexusdetectors.com/Tests.html

It's pretty strange that someone can get 12" on a cw button with an
Ace. Absolutely amazing!

EasyMoney

Oh but it is true, we all went to real promising cw site around 2 weeks ago and the detectors used where as follows, ACE 250, White Prism 2, Whites Prism 5, and a Garrett GTX 1500 we where all digging holes that were close to 2 feet down pulling out cannon ball frags and other small relics. Dont be so quick to judge the ACE it has suprised alot of people with its depth and overall performance!

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
You betcha..

And I have an old White's 6 DB that gets 26 inches on a quarter, a Bounty Hunter Landstar that gets 25" on a clad dime, an Explorer SE that gets 36" on a copper penny, and besides that I have some real estate about 150 miles due west of San Francisco that I can sell to someone real cheap too..

Ha ha. Very funny.

Here is a news flash. I worked as a metal detector engineer in the 80's and even many of THOSE old detectors went MUCH DEEPER than an Ace, and only an original Garrett Deepseeker or a Fisher 550d would locate a cw button 10" in moderate soil in all-metal, but never in discriminate. Now of course as we all now know, the F-75 has been proven to be the deepest vlf or multi on the planet - but even it couldn't get any 12" on a cw button. As I recently posted, it's almost impossible for a Nexus to get that kind of depth, even with it's BB combination circuitry. Or will someone please prove to me that it does? C'mon people let's get real...

Thanks for the jokes guys. Nothing beats a good sense of humor.

EasyMoney

Fishstank

Sep 18, 2007
3rd Gen. Arizona Native
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I dug a few tokens at 14" that read as pennies. I dug them up because anything that deep was worth digging. But I was also in a tot lot made up of compacted wood chips. So I think that makes a huge difference.

Fishstank

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am old, I don't like to dig more than 4-6".

TE

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
just1man82 said:
i have an ace 250 and got a cw button a week or so ago that was 12 inches down, so it can get down there

I think what happened here is the button was 2" or maybe 3" deep. You started digging and because of the pinpointing abilities of the Ace the target fell deeper into the hole you were digging, finally after you dug a 12" hole you located the button. There's no way that machine hits a button at 12" unless it's the size of a hubcap. It's just impossible in the real world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread