the Yellow Fellow

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
Ace 250 Info

1. The Ace 250 is very sensitive to small objects like foil. A little piece of foil will make it ring solid like a nickel.
2. I found a target and changed my sweep speed from slow to fast and it didn't seem to affect the way the 250 sounded on the target. I am going to try this out some more so I find the correct sweep speed.
3. On targets that read only one way every one was junk.
4. One thing I like about the Ace 250 is the custom program as in some junky areas I notched out the nickel area and only went after pennies and up. This helped me in one area where it was beeping all over the place because of foil and iron. It is a very sensitive detector and works great on small jewelry items.
If you are in the coins mode & hit "-" it will take you to all metal.

Air Test Ace 250
I got about 7" on a Quarter & 6" on a Nickel with the Factory Settings.
I dug a few "silent" pinpoint mode targets and they were iron every time.
1. foil will wander and also read a lot deeper than it is
2. fast adds a bit of depth actually. A trick with the 1200 series of fishers is to park above the target detuned and sweep out quickly, if it rings out it is probably a good target. I have to try this with this unit.
3.Yup, if it doesn't hit consistently walk away. even a small blip that is repeatable is worth the effort, usually.

My views on the 250:
1. A really good machine for trashy areas.
2. Loves to eliminate iron
3. Lets you know if the target is big
4. Pinpoints like a laser, except big targets
5. Light as a feather
6. Great notching
7. Strange behavior in pinpoint mode sometimes?
8. No volume gradient on deep targets
9. Stem wobble, fixed with O rings
10. Seems to max out at 8", silver quarter
11. will miss deep dimes
12. loves nickels
13. cannot let a piece of copper go by
So all in all a great machine for the park and school yard, I haven't hunted the beach with it yet. The depth gauge is spot on for coin sized items and rings. The id works quite well, good enough to let you know when it is iron or 99% sure that it is a tab and not a coin. I would welcome a larger coil for it also to see if this can get it over the depth hump.

Ace 250 Trick:
If you are getting an intermittent high tone, set the coil down on the ground as close to the area as you can, and let it rest for a second or two, sweep slowly and see if it goes away, if it does so should you....junk 100% of the time from my experience.

Ace 250
Three distinct tones... the low tone for iron, the mid tone for nickels, etc, and the the higher bell tone for the coins.
As far as sounding off so much in this set up... I've noticed that if a target initially id's as one thing, it might id again as another (junk target), but it will sound both tones. Maybe it's a feature to let you know that you don't have a repeatable tone, and they fail to mention it in the book.
If the Ace 250 marks a stable, steady target, you got something nice to dig!

The Yeller Feller..
Took my Garrett ace 250 for a run in my local park. Got several dollars in change from recent drops to 4 inches. Meter ID'd coins accurately and of course in the nickel range picked up some trash which I would with more expensive units also. Pinpointing was right on and depth accurate.

12 ID facets was adequate as heck my expensive . If I tried to run the sensitivity near max. did get some bongs as I call them which was sort of like a half belltone.

Unit is well made and is long enough for my 6'2" frame or could easily be handled by a youngster. I found the unit user friendly with my experience, but perhaps a newbie may take a bit to get the hang of it by reading the manual, but shouldn't take long as its all in front of you with the press of a button. Had a slight wobble and would like to see locks on the connectors, but a piece of tape quickly made it solid. At its low price is easily most bang for the buck and has many facets found on expensive detectors. Everyone worries about depth and took it to my test plot and got a dime and nickel at 6 inches and quarter at 8 so it had adequate depth.
In conclusion its a low priced, well made, light, user friendly unit with moderate depth and would serve an old timer or newbie very well.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Dave,

First off thanks for taking the time to post all of your input, Very informative.

I agree with this statement 100%, every once in a while I dig just to make sure that it is the case:
"Ace 250 Trick:
If you are getting an intermittent high tone, set the coil down on the ground as close to the area as you can, and let it rest for a second or two, sweep slowly and see if it goes away, if it does so should you....junk 100% of the time from my experience."

I love my ACE 250 and after I put my sniper coil on I haven't taken it off yet. I will when I hit a large plantation site next weekend.

With the help of my vibraprobe and minelab digger I can get some decent finds pretty quick in the hunt.

Thanks again Dave and I hope this helps some people learn there yeller feller quicker.

Jason

Attachments

• 34493_1218046942.JPG
    34493_1218046942.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 463
  • 34493_1217889358.jpg
    34493_1217889358.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 466
  • 34493_1219184017.jpg
    34493_1219184017.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 419

aladdin

Mar 1, 2007
My Y-F loves dimes more than batteries /if it says a dime it is and finds them a lot /not so much nickels! :icon_king:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
X-Terra70_TreasureHunter said:
Ace 250 Info

1. The Ace 250 is very sensitive to small objects like foil. A little piece of foil will make it ring solid like a nickel.
2. I found a target and changed my sweep speed from slow to fast and it didn't seem to affect the way the 250 sounded on the target. I am going to try this out some more so I find the correct sweep speed.
3. On targets that read only one way every one was junk.
4. One thing I like about the Ace 250 is the custom program as in some junky areas I notched out the nickel area and only went after pennies and up. This helped me in one area where it was beeping all over the place because of foil and iron. It is a very sensitive detector and works great on small jewelry items.
If you are in the coins mode & hit "-" it will take you to all metal.

Air Test Ace 250
I got about 7" on a Quarter & 6" on a Nickel with the Factory Settings.
I dug a few "silent" pinpoint mode targets and they were iron every time.
1. foil will wander and also read a lot deeper than it is
2. fast adds a bit of depth actually. A trick with the 1200 series of fishers is to park above the target detuned and sweep out quickly, if it rings out it is probably a good target. I have to try this with this unit.
3.Yup, if it doesn't hit consistently walk away. even a small blip that is repeatable is worth the effort, usually.

My views on the 250:
1. A really good machine for trashy areas.
2. Loves to eliminate iron
3. Lets you know if the target is big
4. Pinpoints like a laser, except big targets
5. Light as a feather
6. Great notching
7. Strange behavior in pinpoint mode sometimes?
8. No volume gradient on deep targets
9. Stem wobble, fixed with O rings
10. Seems to max out at 8", silver quarter
11. will miss deep dimes
12. loves nickels
13. cannot let a piece of copper go by
So all in all a great machine for the park and school yard, I haven't hunted the beach with it yet. The depth gauge is spot on for coin sized items and rings. The id works quite well, good enough to let you know when it is iron or 99% sure that it is a tab and not a coin. I would welcome a larger coil for it also to see if this can get it over the depth hump.

Ace 250 Trick:
If you are getting an intermittent high tone, set the coil down on the ground as close to the area as you can, and let it rest for a second or two, sweep slowly and see if it goes away, if it does so should you....junk 100% of the time from my experience.

Ace 250
Three distinct tones... the low tone for iron, the mid tone for nickels, etc, and the the higher bell tone for the coins.
As far as sounding off so much in this set up... I've noticed that if a target initially id's as one thing, it might id again as another (junk target), but it will sound both tones. Maybe it's a feature to let you know that you don't have a repeatable tone, and they fail to mention it in the book.
If the Ace 250 marks a stable, steady target, you got something nice to dig!

The Yeller Feller..
Took my Garrett ace 250 for a run in my local park. Got several dollars in change from recent drops to 4 inches. Meter ID'd coins accurately and of course in the nickel range picked up some trash which I would with more expensive units also. Pinpointing was right on and depth accurate.

12 ID facets was adequate as heck my expensive . If I tried to run the sensitivity near max. did get some bongs as I call them which was sort of like a half belltone.

Unit is well made and is long enough for my 6'2" frame or could easily be handled by a youngster. I found the unit user friendly with my experience, but perhaps a newbie may take a bit to get the hang of it by reading the manual, but shouldn't take long as its all in front of you with the press of a button. Had a slight wobble and would like to see locks on the connectors, but a piece of tape quickly made it solid. At its low price is easily most bang for the buck and has many facets found on expensive detectors. Everyone worries about depth and took it to my test plot and got a dime and nickel at 6 inches and quarter at 8 so it had adequate depth.
In conclusion its a low priced, well made, light, user friendly unit with moderate depth and would serve an old timer or newbie very well.
Nice post on the 250 i still have my 250 and use it now and then................==Jim==...........keppy

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
I own an Ace which I use a lot and I agree with pretty much everything you've said
The Ace does love tiny bits of foil leading me to notch out foil in some situations
Large wads of foil can be hard to pinpoint
The pinpointer works great on most objects but has trouble with some irregularly shaped objects
The Ace works great on the beach in dry and slightly damp sand-works ok with some falsing in wet sand
The Ace is excellent on jewelry
I agree it goes crazy over copper
Unless you are looking strictly for coins, don't pass by targets that bounce between the pulltab and lower coin areas
I have found a bunch of old bullets that showed up there as well as numerous brass relics and gold plated brass/copper jewelry
Using level 7 and 8 sensitivity results in some false coin tones
Turning the sensitivity down in trashy areas can help with target separation(I don't have a sniper coil yet)
In my experience, if a mixed signal bounces into the iron notch it is always junk, regardless of where else it bounces

dirtdevil2

Greenie
Apr 8, 2005
Katy, Texas
Detector(s) used
Gerrett Ace 250 , Fisher CZ-20
Thanks for the Information. I agree.
This will help newbies . ... I think everyone should buy one of these units to keep as a back up.

You Get Price and Quality!

If you don't like the yellow color, Paint it. ... I was thinking about Camouflage 8)

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
Yeah I field tested the proto and the production model for Garrett and it's quite a remarkable little machine. Garrett slipped some real goodies into this one and sold it at a low price and it took off like a rocket and sales are still sizzling.

One thing about sweep speed - it's hard to swing fast enough to miss a target due to its rapid response and recovery but slower works much better and will grab more targets. There is a trick I call "twitching" ( theMinelab boys call it wiggling ) that will turn many bad targets into good ones. Since the 250 is a motion detector - the faster you scan the deeper it goes and the better it discriminates. Whenever you get an iffy target just center the coil over the target and whip the coil rapidly from side to side a couple of inches each way. You'll be surprised at how many junk targets turn into good ones.

Another tip that works not only with the Ace but other detectors. If you get one of those wide signals as big as the coil or bigger don't dismiss it as junk, rust pocket, beer can, or whatever. Often it is multiple coins grouped together at the same level or one or more coins and junk grouped the same way. If the target is shallow and you have a good pinpointer you can use it to isolate the targets. If not, center the target and start probing until you hit one of the objects. Remove it, scan the area again, and if nothing has changed repeat the procedure until you can isolate the targets I have found several coin spills this way.

Several days ago I got a signal like that and it was a bottlecap and a quarter. When I removed the bottlecap then I got a solid signal that read quarter. Days before that it was four quarters in one hole. But the best example of this happened yesterday when I nade a mind blowing find of three, shiny, Ben Franklin halves in a bark chip playground. They read as one big signal but I used the new Garrett pinpointer to isolate them after I raked away some chips so the PP could reach them. So don't pass up those big signals thinking they are all junk because they ain't

Bill

Attachments

• BF3.jpg
    BF3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 324

RussFed

Greenie
Oct 17, 2021
Wilson, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400 and Bounty Hunter IV
I got 6 pennies next to my driveway from the previous owners.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread