Heres A Review On Garretts New Pin Pointer

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Here's A Review On Garrett's New Pin Pointer

I received the Garrett PRO-POINTER on Friday evening, used it after work on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday for a total of about 12 hours. First three words that come to mind....."I LIKE IT." It looks Garrett researched what is available out in the market place, worked on improvements and even went the extra mile to package it in a nice colorful/pictorial box with both instructions and explanations on it's applications.

I have no less then 5 pinpointers of various makes and models at home presently, and about half of them still sort of work. They have split, cracked, gone out of tune permanently, quit beeping, quit vibrating and some only work on warm days. Turn down the temperature a few degree, and you might as well leave them at home, as they can't be tuned anymore. The ones that have to be tuned every time you turn them on have had their variable tuning knobs just plain wear out. Heck, I even built my own, tweaked it and it ran better then the others for about a year, but it eventually joined the rest in the "box" downstairs.

DONTWORK2.jpg
So, what makes this machine so good? NO MORE TUNING, first of all. The electronics do this automatically. No knobs to wear out. No retuning as the batteries weaken, or changes with the outside temperatures. And when you turn it on and put that probe in a hole to find that hidden coin, a slight BEEP and vibration is IS GIVEN OFF. And both intensify as you maneuver the tip towards that target. This machine goes DEEP! It picks up coins at a distance of about 3 inches, which means that I can quickly find that exact center of the target in seconds, if I can't get it manually with the search coil. Sometimes coins are on a steep angle, and the metal detector coil has difficulty finding the center of the target. Not the PRO-POINTER. It reads the coin directly below. If I couldn't pinpoint that coin with my screwdriver within 10 seconds, out came the PRO-POINTER and within seconds I had the target nailed. Another great feature of this pinpointer, is that it easily tracks the shape and size of the target. A strong vibration plus a strong audio covering a distance of 4" or more means it's a larger then coin size object, so it stays in the ground. If the target is a larger coin like a half, and its in the hole somewhere, but difficult to pinpoint....no problem. The PRO-POINTER can be de-tuned, just like a regular metal detector to make it less sensitive to the target, so it will only sound off when you are right beside it. NO MORE SCRATCHING SILVER COINS.

Ands it gets better yet......it doesn't interfere with the operation of metal detectors like some of the other electric pinpointers do. One particular model interferes with the operation of most of my detectors to the point where they almost become paralyzed. And......the output signal of the metal detector coil interferes with the automatic shutoff on the electronic pinpointer to the point where it won't shut off either. I actually have to remove the battery to shut it off........a great waste precious time towards metal detecting.

Now I just walk around with a screwdriver and probe in my hand, and leave the digger in the bag. About 80% of my finds from sports fields and schools can now be removed with the screwdriver in my hand, which acts as both a probe and removal tool. No more digging holes using my digger to see where the target might be. And this is a real bonus for working well manicured grass, as you can pull targets out of the ground leaving no trace at all. A great way to increase my finds.

And it was designed for the simplicity of the overall use. The 9 volt battery just "drops" in. No more of those cheap 9 volt battery clips to fight with. Simple turn on and go sequence saves a lot of time. You can either shut it off, or just leave it on and use as needed.

Finally, an electronic pinpointer to replace all the rest I have in the "box" downstairs. It really is an improvement on what is available today. And it's built tough!

I think Garrett has bragging Rites On This One. For further information, call a Garrett Dealer or call Garrett directly:

Toll Free: 1-800-527-4011 (U.S.A. and some parts of Canada only)

Email: [email protected]

John-Edmonton

Attachments

• gold ring.jpg
    gold ring.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 850
  • gold ring.jpg
    gold ring.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 861

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Here's A Review On Garrett's New Pin Pointer

I will be getting one....................................==Jim==

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250

Great post John! Very useful information. Maybe I should buy one too...

The only thing I'm wondering is why the garrett girls weren't there with you this time, testing that strongly vibrating pinpointer... ;D

RuffandTuff

Nov 24, 2005

Can anyone provide comparison of a Automax Precision V4 that I recently purchased with the Garrett? I have not tested the Automax out yet. Thanks, RuffandTuff.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Must be fairly new...not listed on their website yet. I have the whites bullseye and it beats me feeling around in the dirt but still only detects maybe 1/2 inch or so. Maybe an inch on a good day.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I can not find the Garrett pinpointer for sale any were...........................................Jim

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

SC_hunter said:
Must be fairly new...not listed on their website yet. I have the whites bullseye and it beats me feeling around in the dirt but still only detects maybe 1/2 inch or so. Maybe an inch on a good day.

Can't you use your Lidar to pinpoint? ;D

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

radarwill said:
SC_hunter said:

Ok, I'm not a smart man, but I did look up what a Lidar was..Light Detection and Ranging???????? Sounds like if it hit the dirt it would bounce back a signal of the dirt and not specifically the object???? You might have to explain this one to me radarwil

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, VERY good write-up!
Definitely looks to be a good device. I am wondering though, since you have the Vibraprobe on the right, is it still working? If not, what's wrong with it? Also, what temperatures have you put your pinpointers under while detecting. Just curious... thanks!! :)

Bran <><

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
Re: Here's A Review On Garrett's New Pin Pointer-To SC Hunter

I field tested the proto a couple of months ago and have been playing with a copy of the production model for a week or more now. They are being shipped to dealers and the release date is the first of September. There may be specials and or discounts so keep your eye peeled. It's a really dandy gadget and well worth a try. One can whip it out of the handy holster supplied like a six gun and shoot your target and you can leave it on your belt when you get in your car to visit another site. It only weighs a mere 7 ozs and is ergonomically handy and appealing and it's tough as nails.

Don't know if John mentioned it but the PP is microprocessor controlled, maintains maximum sensitivity, with no tuning or adjustments needed. An alkaline battery will last 30 hours, carbon and rechargeables less. And it has a sifting blade. It can be submerged up to just below the speaker and can be used in the rain and washed off under a running faucet. If I repeat something John already stated he can spank me. HA.

Bill

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

SC_hunter said:
radarwill said:
SC_hunter said:

Ok, I'm not a smart man, but I did look up what a Lidar was..Light Detection and Ranging???????? Sounds like if it hit the dirt it would bounce back a signal of the dirt and not specifically the object???? You might have to explain this one to me radarwil

Fainthearted attempt at humor based on your occupation.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is it for sale now?

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

It is for sale now. I talked to the people at garrett. Kellyco has it to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread