Mom got stopped in Edinburgh, couldn't go any farther - my family tree

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't want to hijack Mojjax's thread, so I'll say separately a little bit of my own tree.

Mom got into genealogy probably 30 years ago and wrote a book on us selling at the local library, or it was - didn't see it there last visit.

She did both sides of the family. We're multiple Sons and Daughters of the Revolution and the Civil War.

Dad's side landed here in 1650 from Edinburgh, Scotland. They came up the James River and then down to this area. Shadrack Turner opened up this section of counties, he settled in Henry, Virginia, and then his descendants spread further into the mountains here - King's Grants.

As mentioned in the opening thread from Jeff on Mom's side, Abram H. Robertson was wounded in Chancellorsville and captured near Norfolk. Here's his POW release:

POW Release.jpg

On Mom's side, the Robertson's, they arrived in 1690 from Edinburgh (I'm a red headed Scot!), we were the original settlers of this farm I live on now. I really don't know when, the Patrick County courthouse burned in about 1832 - maybe I should finally read Mom's book, just never had as much interest in this stuff. Now that I live here maybe I should know more. However, it never meant much to me about where I came from, versus where I was going.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Deep,
Great history; and another Scotsman !!
Your family certainly got here early. Mine is a different story. We were burned out of our homes during the Scottish Highland Clearances (early 1800s in our case)--when the landowners decided they wanted the land for raising sheep versus farming. Those of us (tenants upon the land) who had no where to go were literally burned out--forced evictions-- (our croft roof's were torched). We were forced to make a living from the sea. As farmers, that didn't work--so we migrated to Canada (Toronto area) in about 1830. There,we farmed and also made ends meet by selling maple syrup. My dad's father then brought his family to the Cincinnati, Ohio area in the early 1900s.
Don.......

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That's quite a story Don, at least your forefathers passed down their knowledge. It took Mom probably a couple decades to pin ours down as much as she did. All genealogies should include stories if available, so they can be passed on as well.

I know I'll be taking possession of her database. And I'll send it to my son as well, he's the elder of my children.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
deep,
I am fortunate enough for my clan to have had an annual reunion in Canada for now nearly 100 years;and that reunion is published in the local paper. Attendees are also mentioned. About 20 years ago, some of the clan members put together a 'genie' book starting with the Clearances and the migration to Canada--and the dispersion of descendants. That book is now over forty pages in length; and, obviously, of great help to any of the descendants wanting to do research on our branch of the clan.
Don.....

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don, do you go to that? Looks like you know one heck of a lot more about your family than I do mine. I've grown too reclusive living up this holler. There's old roads through this holler. In fact, my driveway used to be the county road on up to the 1930's. But, I think WWI cleared out all the folks up further on the mountain. I've walked back there and seen what I believe to be old home sites. My brother is two years older, and he remembers cars driving slowly past us here in about 1950 or 1951. I was too young to remember it. The main county road to close local towns was cut through in the 40's - in the 30's Mom walked the main road which was dirt & mud. The paved road bypassed this mountain, but there were still parts which saw use. And now they are just overgrown and memories - the roads up this holler.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
With my family, for at least the last 3 generations on my mother's side, there has been someone interested enough to look for information and record it. This generation, my sister-in-law is in charge of the stuff. Before that it was my mother and her sister who took it over from their aunt before them. I remember when I was young at times we were visiting family in New York and we would go to different cemeteries to look for particular graves. I guess it may also help if you have someone notable in your past. I know that with one branch of my mother's family, there is a book that talks about them from the time that the head of the family came over from Holland in the 1630s.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
My husband was told by another Robertson that all the Robertson's in the USA are related. They come from the same clan from Scotland and that there was a king in the ancestry.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My husband was told by another Robertson that all the Robertson's in the USA are related. They come from the same clan from Scotland and that there was a king in the ancestry.

I should pass that on to Mom who is now 92. I'm probably not pure Scottish as we can't account for the outsiders marrying into the two families, but if we go by patriarchs I'm red headed and pure.

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I have been working on my family history(on my fathers side)and have traced it back 43 generations to England,France,Germany and other European countries. One of my cousins did some research years ago and reported we had Native American ancestors five generations back with paper work to show. However, I have taken two DNA tests and there was no NA bloodline found. Go figure. I think most families will find Royal ancestors if you go far enough back. My Royal families go from England back to Europe and to the Roman Empire. Lots of fun finding out where a person comes from. Try a DNA test,it will show where your ancestors came from.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
There are several DNA labs. I use FTDNA, Family Tree DNA. Their family matching test is, to me, by far the best. Y-marker doesn't tell much, nor does the female one from your mother, I forget what you call it. Just this week I got a family matching hit. My grandma was descended from a French family from Quebec, who moved into the USA.

Her sister married another French descended man, and her great-grand-daughter is the one who had the test done.

Turns out her sister lived with a family near us, and I knew her almost 60 years ago. We didn't know she was second cousin once removed. And, I am sure she didn't know the old man down the street was her great-grandma's brother.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread