Recently Did DNA Testing... - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Recently Did DNA Testing...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2014
    Maryland's Eastern Shore
    Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
    1001 times
    Prehistoric artifacts, metal detecting, bottle digging
    I did the Ancestry.com DNA testing for myself, both my parents, and my mother's sister, which was before they changed their rules which now only let you send in your own personal DNA, and no one else's. This protects them from some liability issues, and also ensures that they have a new subscription for every DNA test processed(aka.new revenue stream).

One thing that needs to be realized about the ethnic origin tests as posted above, is that it is really subjective and indicates your own personal results rather than your family results.
    For example, even though my mother and her sister's results showed that they were "immediate family" and sisters, my mother's main results were 33% Ireland, 30% Europe West, 24% Scandinavian, 5% Iberian Peninsula, and only 1% Great Britain. Her sister's main results were 39% Great Britain, 33% Ireland, 14% Scandinavia, 10% Europe West, and 0% Iberian Peninsula.
    We each receive roughly 50% of our mother's and father's DNA, but siblings don't necessarily receive the same 50% as each other. So just because for example your test results show your dNA a 25% Native American, doesn't mean that your family is 25% Native American, it just means that you personally inherited from your parents, 25% of your DNA, that Ancestry.com has identified as probably being Native American way back when. I hope this makes sense they way I have tried to explain it?

clv
    us
    Dec 2012
    santee, ca
    Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600 TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold, Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro, fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
    1097 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    unless the sisters had different dads
    Don' ask, Don't tell, just DIG!

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox / XP Deus
    10232 times
    I'm thinking about getting mine done again with a different testing facility because everyone's test comes back with similar results.
    sprailroad likes this.

ďStrive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.Ē
    Ė Albert Einstein

um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9980 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I used familytreedna. However the family finder matches are not related and the people have surnames I do not know. Here are "my origins" results...

African0%
    South Central Africa
    0%
    East Central Africa
    0%
    West Africa
    0%

New World0%
    North and Central America
    0%
    South America
    0%

Central/South Asian0%
    Central Asia
    0%
    Oceania
    0%
    South Central Asia
    0%

East Asian0%
    Northeast Asia
    0%
    Siberia
    < 1%
    Southeast Asia
    0%

Middle Eastern0%
    Asia Minor
    0%
    East Middle East
    0%
    North Africa
    < 1%
    West Middle East
    0%

European98%
    British Isles
    92%
    East Europe
    3%
    Finland
    0%
    Scandinavia
    0%
    Southeast Europe
    3%
    Iberia
    0%
    West and Central Europe
    0%

Jewish Diaspora0%
    Ashkenazi
    0%
    Sephardic
    0%

us
    Jan 2014
    Maryland's Eastern Shore
    Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
    1001 times
    Prehistoric artifacts, metal detecting, bottle digging
    Quote Originally Posted by clv View Post
    unless the sisters had different dads
    I know what you mean, but we have ruled that out by confirming that they both match with numerous members who descend from their fathers ancestors. Let me see if I can explain it in a different way. For example, everyone has four biological grandparents. If all four of your biological grandparents had only 10% of their DNA markers that the testing company has pegged as being Native American markers, and both of your parents ended up inheriting all of those Native American DNA markers from their parents, then each of your parents may test out as having 20% Native American DNA. Then if you by chance inherited all of the Native American DNA markers from each of your parents, then you may end up getting a result that says you have 40% Native American DNA. This would be a relatively true account of the DNA markers that you personally inherited, but it would not indicate that your ancestors were 40% or more Native American, if that make s sense?
    clv, ramjet2187, Charl and 1 others like this.

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    14577 times
    Metal Detecting
    my results were

grizzly 87%
    boomslang 5%
    orca 8%
    BigWaveDave, clv, can_slaw and 2 others like this.

us
    Sorry Honey, I canít. Iíve got plans with my metal detector.

Nov 2013
    Mountain Maryland
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
    15522 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Iím reluctant to have this test done.
    Having my dna in a public database could be problematic for a variety of reasons.
    holepuncher and texrich like this.
    EVERY COIN, SILVERS, AND TOKENS FOUND IN FLORIDA I SOLD...STARTING FRESH IN MARYLAND

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    14577 times
    Metal Detecting
    I already have yours dave
    clv likes this.

mx
    May 2010
    625 times
    I just want to point out in response to the person who said we have four grandparents. It is possible to have only one grandfather. No?

us
    Dec 2010
    62 times
    I was thinking and talking to some people about this today, as my sister and I are getting a lot of family history scanned and dumped to us/me. I'm a mutt, but was always told my dad was 100% Polish.

It looks like dad's dad was 100% Polish, but dad's mom was Russian. So that half of me is now two quarters maybe. I am still looking through the info sent to us.

Anyway, that lead me to think, do people in Europe or Asia or anywhere else ever say, "I'm half Scottish and half American"? Cause I think its about time to just say that, I'm American, just a thought I had today, I'm not gonna grill someone for saying they are 1/16th Cherokee and half Irish or something. I understand what they are saying. Is tracking this stuff and talking this way an American thing? Do people in France just assume everyone is pretty much French, unlike here, where I assume you are a mutt too?

It would be fun to compare what the family says to what the DNA shows. I think perhaps my family sorta hid the Russian aspect (still researching it) as who brought that info up and discussed during the cold war? I have such a mix, but I think some good documents to support some claims, but maybe the mystery is the best part?

us
    Dec 2010
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by piegrande View Post
    I just want to point out in response to the person who said we have four grandparents. It is possible to have only one grandfather. No?
    Do you really want to pursue the possibilities of this one?
    ramjet2187 likes this.

mx
    May 2010
    625 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hucklburry View Post
    Do you really want to pursue the possibilities of this one?
    This is part of the variability and unpredictability when you start doing ancestral DNA testing.

I am totally aware that having one grandpa is EXTREMELY unlikely. That would be one very handsome and very busy man, and four women of dubious morality. But, if you follow genealogy fora you will read some very surprising tales exposed by DNA. So, my posting was partly tongue in cheek, and partly pointing out that a lot of family trees have what I call paternity errors. Or, other strange phenomena.

For example, when I only had Y-marker data, two of the men closest to me, an error of 1 on Y-37 had the same surname as an English lord who hundreds of years ago was sent by Queen Elizabeth to, more or less, kill my ancestors. Later, those two men took down their data. I had written it into a notebook.

I do not imply that Lord impregnated a female ancestor. Lords were a bit disciplined. One would get the same near match if an ancient ancestor of that Lord had a love child by a woman on his estate, even hundreds of years before he was born.

Also, a lot of rapes occurred in combat in those days, partly as a means of demotivating the locals.

There are many other causes of paternity errors, not just hanky-panky. These include foundlings taken in, for example during the Great Starvation, in ireland. And, in those days unwed motherhood could harm the reputation of the whole family. So, sometimes if a girl got pregnant, her mother would go into seclusion then present the child as her own, which also messes up DNA trails.

mx
    May 2010
    625 times
    Yes, I am aware there is a silly error in my posting just above. I admit it but do not think it is an earth shaking event and am not going to fix it. Sorry.
    Noah_D likes this.

us
    Oct 2014
    Amboy Wa.
    AT Pro. Equinox.
    594 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaveDave View Post
    I’m reluctant to have this test done.
    Having my dna in a public database could be problematic for a variety of reasons.
    Not to mention paying to have it there.

mx
    May 2010
    625 times
    The private DNA databases, I do not think are wide open to the public. I have no opinion as to whether the cops can get at it, at least not without a warrant.

Also, if the cops want your DNA, they can get it without much fuss. I read recently they got a drinking glass a man had used, and thus identified him as having committing a violent crime.

And, if you are suspected, they can force you to give a sample with a court order.

There may, of course, be other issues involved that I am not thinking about.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links