🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m reluctant to have this test done.
Having my dna in a public database could be problematic for a variety of reasons.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I already have yours dave

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I just want to point out in response to the person who said we have four grandparents. It is possible to have only one grandfather. No? :D

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
I was thinking and talking to some people about this today, as my sister and I are getting a lot of family history scanned and dumped to us/me. I'm a mutt, but was always told my dad was 100% Polish.

It looks like dad's dad was 100% Polish, but dad's mom was Russian. So that half of me is now two quarters maybe. I am still looking through the info sent to us.

Anyway, that lead me to think, do people in Europe or Asia or anywhere else ever say, "I'm half Scottish and half American"? Cause I think its about time to just say that, I'm American, just a thought I had today, I'm not gonna grill someone for saying they are 1/16th Cherokee and half Irish or something. I understand what they are saying. Is tracking this stuff and talking this way an American thing? Do people in France just assume everyone is pretty much French, unlike here, where I assume you are a mutt too?

It would be fun to compare what the family says to what the DNA shows. I think perhaps my family sorta hid the Russian aspect (still researching it) as who brought that info up and discussed during the cold war? I have such a mix, but I think some good documents to support some claims, but maybe the mystery is the best part?

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Do you really want to pursue the possibilities of this one?
This is part of the variability and unpredictability when you start doing ancestral DNA testing.

I am totally aware that having one grandpa is EXTREMELY unlikely. That would be one very handsome and very busy man, and four women of dubious morality. But, if you follow genealogy fora you will read some very surprising tales exposed by DNA. So, my posting was partly tongue in cheek, and partly pointing out that a lot of family trees have what I call paternity errors. Or, other strange phenomena.

For example, when I only had Y-marker data, two of the men closest to me, an error of 1 on Y-37 had the same surname as an English lord who hundreds of years ago was sent by Queen Elizabeth to, more or less, kill my ancestors. Later, those two men took down their data. I had written it into a notebook.

I do not imply that Lord impregnated a female ancestor. Lords were a bit disciplined. One would get the same near match if an ancient ancestor of that Lord had a love child by a woman on his estate, even hundreds of years before he was born.

Also, a lot of rapes occurred in combat in those days, partly as a means of demotivating the locals.

There are many other causes of paternity errors, not just hanky-panky. These include foundlings taken in, for example during the Great Starvation, in ireland. And, in those days unwed motherhood could harm the reputation of the whole family. So, sometimes if a girl got pregnant, her mother would go into seclusion then present the child as her own, which also messes up DNA trails.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Yes, I am aware there is a silly error in my posting just above. I admit it but do not think it is an earth shaking event and am not going to fix it. Sorry.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
The private DNA databases, I do not think are wide open to the public. I have no opinion as to whether the cops can get at it, at least not without a warrant.

Also, if the cops want your DNA, they can get it without much fuss. I read recently they got a drinking glass a man had used, and thus identified him as having committing a violent crime.

And, if you are suspected, they can force you to give a sample with a court order.

There may, of course, be other issues involved that I am not thinking about.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having my dna in a public database could be problematic for a variety of reasons.

Ha!....
Ok, so yea I was only kidding around, implying a life of crime and a minivan full of unknown children....
But as it turns out...
That California killer ex-cop got busted thanks to investigators trolling the data bases of ancestry dot com.

At least he now knows who his great great great great granddaddy is.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea, i don't think i really want to know who or what i am related to. As a child i was pretty skinny and given how much i love digging, i fear i may be part earthworm!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
My family memories,as passed down by my father who has never been proved wrong on anything he told us, says 7 siblings came from Ireland to Brooklyn in the 1800's from Ireland.

It also says a couple of them went on to Australia. My family matching showed a distant cousin, like 3rd or 4th, in Australia which would support that claim. The man said all they knew was a man came walking by one day and asked for a drink of water. He stayed and married into the family. No other data. But it does show the family tradition was almost certainly correct.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An American Mutt!!

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found mine to be a bit boring. 100% European.

DNA.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Waiting for mine now. I want to make sure on my Family Tree!:icon_thumleft:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent in $50.00 for a tracing of my Family Tree and they sent me back a STALK OF BANANAS !!!

Last edited:

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with y-marker testing from FTDNA. About all it told me was, yes, my male ancestors were strongly linked to Ireland. I studied a lot. I even wrote a mutation modeling program so I could see how it worked. IF I put my y-markers in the calculator twice, it would tell me the two people, myself, were probably related within the last couple hundred years.

I learned that I had people of common ancestors in Iceland. That made sense since the Vikings took kids, wives, and slaves back with them.

Next, I did the mtdna test to find out where my female ancestors were from. Several of my family are very racist which makes for a lot of fun being married to a Mexican woman. I really hoped my first female ancestor was Zulu like Oprah's was. I don't mind at all, but I'd sure like to see the look on their faces. No luck. Europe.

When Family Matching came out, I bought that, too. That is worth the money. In my jaded opinion, they push y-marker tests for the human migration folks in hopes of passing the testing costs to suckers, I mean citizens. With y-marker they did solve some mysteries. Roanoke Island, the Lumbee Indian tribe today has men with y-markers linked to family of the original settlers on Roanoke, descendants of the family that never left Europe. Which certainly answered that question.

Family Matching, which produces results similar to Ancestry above is worth the money. It has done things like reunite twin siblings separated by adoption. So far all close relatives who also tested test properly. I did get a close match on a woman who lived in the same part of the state where i was born. She happened to be a skilled genealogist, and found out our common ancestor was the grandma of my paternal grandpa.

So, whereas y-marker only identifies direct male ancestors, and mtdna only identifies direct female ancestors, Family matching jumps back and forth with no link to sex.

As best as I can tell our DNA is so complex that every or nearly every ancestor forever supplies a chain of DNA, which will identify places where our ancestors live. My map shows on in Russia, and several in Spain or Portugal, which makes sense, because human migration studies funded by y-marker suckers, er, clients, shows the Irish came from Spain 5 to 10,000 years ago, not Celts at all.

The listing above makes it clear part of the low probability numbers are not very reliable. So, no, you are not everything, except to the extent that all our ancestors originated in Africa.

Migration studies seem to show whites were a mutation somewhere in a valley in the mountains, maybe Himalayas, can't remember for sure.
I am not sure that you understand the term mutation.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
When I read your comment, I was concerned that perhaps you were correct. So, I did a search for "DNA mutation", and the sense used in the hits I got pretty well agreed with the way I understood and used it. So, I must theoroze that it may be you who does not understand the term mutation. :D If you disagree, please explain. Many people learn on these postings, and I am willing to learn if you can deliver.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread