Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So... I'm basically everything?

RgfRmXF.jpg

Jewish and Native American? Haha.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I started with y-marker testing from FTDNA. About all it told me was, yes, my male ancestors were strongly linked to Ireland. I studied a lot. I even wrote a mutation modeling program so I could see how it worked. IF I put my y-markers in the calculator twice, it would tell me the two people, myself, were probably related within the last couple hundred years.

I learned that I had people of common ancestors in Iceland. That made sense since the Vikings took kids, wives, and slaves back with them.

Next, I did the mtdna test to find out where my female ancestors were from. Several of my family are very racist which makes for a lot of fun being married to a Mexican woman. I really hoped my first female ancestor was Zulu like Oprah's was. I don't mind at all, but I'd sure like to see the look on their faces. No luck. Europe.

When Family Matching came out, I bought that, too. That is worth the money. In my jaded opinion, they push y-marker tests for the human migration folks in hopes of passing the testing costs to suckers, I mean citizens. With y-marker they did solve some mysteries. Roanoke Island, the Lumbee Indian tribe today has men with y-markers linked to family of the original settlers on Roanoke, descendants of the family that never left Europe. Which certainly answered that question.

Family Matching, which produces results similar to Ancestry above is worth the money. It has done things like reunite twin siblings separated by adoption. So far all close relatives who also tested test properly. I did get a close match on a woman who lived in the same part of the state where i was born. She happened to be a skilled genealogist, and found out our common ancestor was the grandma of my paternal grandpa.

So, whereas y-marker only identifies direct male ancestors, and mtdna only identifies direct female ancestors, Family matching jumps back and forth with no link to sex.

As best as I can tell our DNA is so complex that every or nearly every ancestor forever supplies a chain of DNA, which will identify places where our ancestors live. My map shows on in Russia, and several in Spain or Portugal, which makes sense, because human migration studies funded by y-marker suckers, er, clients, shows the Irish came from Spain 5 to 10,000 years ago, not Celts at all.

The listing above makes it clear part of the low probability numbers are not very reliable. So, no, you are not everything, except to the extent that all our ancestors originated in Africa.

Migration studies seem to show whites were a mutation somewhere in a valley in the mountains, maybe Himalayas, can't remember for sure.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I just read an article that says the learned scientists, the ones who tell us they know everything, now admit maybe the human race did not originate in Africa but Europe. I sort of doubt it, but I don't claim to know everything.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A very interesting narrative. I have taken 3 tests also and the first one told ethnicity only. I got 93 % caucaisian 7% native America. Next I tested by ancestry y haplotype. I was rated a c haplogroup. That group originated in Kazacastan near India about 60000 years ago and mostly migrated east into China and generally Asia. Some though were found in a cave that was located in Spain they died 7000 years ago. Then I took ancestry family dna. The result was 50 % west Europe, 29% Ireland, scandivian and And spainish. With Asian low percentage. This matched up with the native American found in first test . Most southerners have some native American ancestry due to time spent coexisting among native people for generations. Some important information derived from the second test found a 7th cousin in New Zealand who knew the county in Ireland that the family was resident of so there is distant family to communicate with and more to research. They believe the family had been there in Ulster since the 1400s.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one done too, just for fun. Did genealogy years ago. The family rumors were true! Mainly western and eastern Europe with a little Roman and Viking thrown in. Carpe diem indeed.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the Ancestry DNA test. Seems predominantly English, with a good amount of Irish, which now would explain my ongoing internal conflict I suppose. (Could they just not get along, gives me a headache) The little bit of the rest? Invading army's I'd bet, given the U.K.'s history. Moving on..........

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to do this someday. I'm supposed to be Polish, German, Dutch, and Native American. I'm confident of the Polish and German, but that's it.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your missing the most important part, how much Neanderthal DNA do you have?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Neanderthal, but what does <1% aardvark mean on the test?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your missing the most important part, how much Neanderthal DNA do you have?
That might account for my remaining 18%

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I did the Ancestry.com DNA testing for myself, both my parents, and my mother's sister, which was before they changed their rules which now only let you send in your own personal DNA, and no one else's. This protects them from some liability issues, and also ensures that they have a new subscription for every DNA test processed(aka.new revenue stream).

One thing that needs to be realized about the ethnic origin tests as posted above, is that it is really subjective and indicates your own personal results rather than your family results.
For example, even though my mother and her sister's results showed that they were "immediate family" and sisters, my mother's main results were 33% Ireland, 30% Europe West, 24% Scandinavian, 5% Iberian Peninsula, and only 1% Great Britain. Her sister's main results were 39% Great Britain, 33% Ireland, 14% Scandinavia, 10% Europe West, and 0% Iberian Peninsula.
We each receive roughly 50% of our mother's and father's DNA, but siblings don't necessarily receive the same 50% as each other. So just because for example your test results show your dNA a 25% Native American, doesn't mean that your family is 25% Native American, it just means that you personally inherited from your parents, 25% of your DNA, that Ancestry.com has identified as probably being Native American way back when. I hope this makes sense they way I have tried to explain it?

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unless the sisters had different dads

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking about getting mine done again with a different testing facility because everyone's test comes back with similar results.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used familytreedna. However the family finder matches are not related and the people have surnames I do not know. Here are "my origins" results...

African0%
South Central Africa
0%
East Central Africa
0%
West Africa
0%

New World0%
North and Central America
0%
South America
0%

Central/South Asian0%
Central Asia
0%
Oceania
0%
South Central Asia
0%

East Asian0%
Northeast Asia
0%
Siberia
< 1%
Southeast Asia
0%

Middle Eastern0%
Asia Minor
0%
East Middle East
0%
North Africa
< 1%
West Middle East
0%

European98%
British Isles
92%
East Europe
3%
Finland
0%
Scandinavia
0%
Southeast Europe
3%
Iberia
0%
West and Central Europe
0%

Jewish Diaspora0%
Ashkenazi
0%
Sephardic
0%

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
unless the sisters had different dads
I know what you mean, but we have ruled that out by confirming that they both match with numerous members who descend from their fathers ancestors. Let me see if I can explain it in a different way. For example, everyone has four biological grandparents. If all four of your biological grandparents had only 10% of their DNA markers that the testing company has pegged as being Native American markers, and both of your parents ended up inheriting all of those Native American DNA markers from their parents, then each of your parents may test out as having 20% Native American DNA. Then if you by chance inherited all of the Native American DNA markers from each of your parents, then you may end up getting a result that says you have 40% Native American DNA. This would be a relatively true account of the DNA markers that you personally inherited, but it would not indicate that your ancestors were 40% or more Native American, if that make s sense?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread