Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Recently Did DNA Testing...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2017
    Denver, CO
    Garrett AT Pro
    125 times
    Metal Detecting

Recently Did DNA Testing...

So... I'm basically everything?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RgfRmXF.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	349.6 KB 
ID:	1440258

Jewish and Native American? Haha.
    diggummup and Wrightdigger like this.

um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    7467 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    How much was it for that particular test?
    Wrightdigger likes this.

us
    Apr 2017
    Denver, CO
    Garrett AT Pro
    125 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by diggummup View Post
    How much was it for that particular test?
    Normally $99 (Ancestry.com) but they often do sales for $79 or so.
    diggummup likes this.

um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    7467 times
    Thanks for the quick reply.

mx
    May 2010
    344 times
    I started with y-marker testing from FTDNA. About all it told me was, yes, my male ancestors were strongly linked to Ireland. I studied a lot. I even wrote a mutation modeling program so I could see how it worked. IF I put my y-markers in the calculator twice, it would tell me the two people, myself, were probably related within the last couple hundred years.

I learned that I had people of common ancestors in Iceland. That made sense since the Vikings took kids, wives, and slaves back with them.

Next, I did the mtdna test to find out where my female ancestors were from. Several of my family are very racist which makes for a lot of fun being married to a Mexican woman. I really hoped my first female ancestor was Zulu like Oprah's was. I don't mind at all, but I'd sure like to see the look on their faces. No luck. Europe.

When Family Matching came out, I bought that, too. That is worth the money. In my jaded opinion, they push y-marker tests for the human migration folks in hopes of passing the testing costs to suckers, I mean citizens. With y-marker they did solve some mysteries. Roanoke Island, the Lumbee Indian tribe today has men with y-markers linked to family of the original settlers on Roanoke, descendants of the family that never left Europe. Which certainly answered that question.

Family Matching, which produces results similar to Ancestry above is worth the money. It has done things like reunite twin siblings separated by adoption. So far all close relatives who also tested test properly. I did get a close match on a woman who lived in the same part of the state where i was born. She happened to be a skilled genealogist, and found out our common ancestor was the grandma of my paternal grandpa.

So, whereas y-marker only identifies direct male ancestors, and mtdna only identifies direct female ancestors, Family matching jumps back and forth with no link to sex.

As best as I can tell our DNA is so complex that every or nearly every ancestor forever supplies a chain of DNA, which will identify places where our ancestors live. My map shows on in Russia, and several in Spain or Portugal, which makes sense, because human migration studies funded by y-marker suckers, er, clients, shows the Irish came from Spain 5 to 10,000 years ago, not Celts at all.

The listing above makes it clear part of the low probability numbers are not very reliable. So, no, you are not everything, except to the extent that all our ancestors originated in Africa.

Migration studies seem to show whites were a mutation somewhere in a valley in the mountains, maybe Himalayas, can't remember for sure.

mx
    May 2010
    344 times
    I just read an article that says the learned scientists, the ones who tell us they know everything, now admit maybe the human race did not originate in Africa but Europe. I sort of doubt it, but I don't claim to know everything.
    Wrightdigger likes this.

us
    alabama

Nov 2015
    north Alabama
    Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2
    729 times
    Relic Hunting
    A very interesting narrative. I have taken 3 tests also and the first one told ethnicity only. I got 93 % caucaisian 7% native America. Next I tested by ancestry y haplotype. I was rated a c haplogroup. That group originated in Kazacastan near India about 60000 years ago and mostly migrated east into China and generally Asia. Some though were found in a cave that was located in Spain they died 7000 years ago. Then I took ancestry family dna. The result was 50 % west Europe, 29% Ireland, scandivian and And spainish. With Asian low percentage. This matched up with the native American found in first test . Most southerners have some native American ancestry due to time spent coexisting among native people for generations. Some important information derived from the second test found a 7th cousin in New Zealand who knew the county in Ireland that the family was resident of so there is distant family to communicate with and more to research. They believe the family had been there in Ulster since the 1400s.
    Last edited by alabama11; Oct 12, 2017 at 01:36 AM.
    Wrightdigger likes this.
    Proverbs 3:5-6 (Trust in the Lord)

5*Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    And do not lean on your own understanding.
    6*In all your ways acknowledge Him,
    And He will make your paths straight.

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    6564 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    I had one done too, just for fun. Did genealogy years ago. The family rumors were true! Mainly western and eastern Europe with a little Roman and Viking thrown in. Carpe diem indeed.
    Wrightdigger likes this.

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1174 times
    I took the Ancestry DNA test. Seems predominantly English, with a good amount of Irish, which now would explain my ongoing internal conflict I suppose. (Could they just not get along, gives me a headache) The little bit of the rest? Invading army's I'd bet, given the U.K.'s history. Moving on..........
    Wrightdigger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Receipt Nazi

Jun 2017
    Ohio
    Teknetics delta 4000
    1134 times
    I need to do this someday. I'm supposed to be Polish, German, Dutch, and Native American. I'm confident of the Polish and German, but that's it.
    Isaiah 9:6
    For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

clv
    us
    Dec 2012
    santee, ca
    Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Minelab Eureka gold, Tesoro Compadre, and TRX Pin Pointer Have owned; White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro, fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, fisher 1235x, Garret Master Hunter V
    920 times
    Your missing the most important part, how much Neanderthal DNA do you have?
    sprailroad likes this.
    Don' ask, Don't tell, just DIG!

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    6564 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    No Neanderthal, but what does <1% aardvark mean on the test?
    DizzyDigger likes this.

us
    Apr 2004
    Appalachia East Tennessee
    BH Pioneer 202, Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function
    805 times
    All American = Heinz 57

us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Surf PI, Surf PI PRO, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    301 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus Palus View Post
    So... I'm basically everything?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RgfRmXF.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	349.6 KB 
ID:	1440258

Jewish and Native American? Haha.
    I've heard that called Heinz 57! grin

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1174 times
    Quote Originally Posted by clv View Post
    Your missing the most important part, how much Neanderthal DNA do you have?
    That might account for my remaining 18%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links