diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems I can't find out any info. past my great great great great grandfather who was born in NC about 1813. Where do you go from here? Do you try to search county records somehow? I did find a little excerpt on my great great grandfather. It mentions him being a descendant of President Andrew Johnson but no specifics. I guess that makes me a descendant too, lol. Pretty cool.

https://books.google.com/books?id=904SAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA87&dq=charles+johnson+SMALLWOOD&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8q-Pm8qnTAhUD4oMKHYVzDlQQ6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q=charles%20johnson%20SMALLWOOD&f=false

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing that helped Mom was that we still own the land we settled here, and she had the family bible from the early 1800's. The nicer bibles had areas devoted to births and deaths. So she already knew generations. How she made her way to Scotland, I have no idea - but it took her years and years to trace the lines.

There's a whole lot of money grubbing ventures on-line which help you trace lineage. I'm sure there's good ones too.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting link you posted there! Thanks!

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another thing you can do is have a y DNA hyplogroup test and it will tell you where the male line originated. On Ysearch dot org you can compare your results and find others from the same line living all around the planet. I found someone in New Zealand who supplied me with a lot of info leading to a county in Ireland where family still live and farm.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
A lot of family history books written for a family included fictional material to justify the high cost to the writer.

And, a Mormon (LDS) told me that before a certain date, around 200 years ago, but I forget, the church will not seal records over that age, because too much of it is false, UNLESS it is proven to be part of royal records, as verified by the Royal Record LDS team.

I have a nephew who claims we were descended from an Irish, or Scottish, king, I forget, from around 800 a.d. No one else can find such a link.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this forum so I am a little late replying. Do you use any of the online genealogy sites? I use FamilySearch.org and findagrave.com in my research. So far I am back 11 generations to the mid 1500s in Switzerland. Here's a link to Charles Johnson on family search. It's interesting to note that Smallwood is my wife's mother's maiden name. Maybe there is some relation?

https://familysearch.org/search/rec...+birth_place:Virginia~ +birth_year:1861-1863~

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this forum so I am a little late replying. Do you use any of the online genealogy sites? I use FamilySearch.org and findagrave.com in my research. So far I am back 11 generations to the mid 1500s in Switzerland. Here's a link to Charles Johnson on family search. It's interesting to note that Smallwood is my wife's mother's maiden name. Maybe there is some relation?

https://familysearch.org/search/rec...+birth_place:Virginia~ +birth_year:1861-1863~
Can't get the link to work

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you have to register before you can use the site. It is free.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the link. I registered and was able to identify my pair of baggage tags to the family through the sight. I will be returning my old brass railroad baggage tags to a family member. Very much appreciated link.:icon_thumleft:

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
County/parish archives office, that's what I did.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Find-a-grave will tell you where a person is buried if the grave is registered. In my family, a genealogist also often puts other family members, even known ancestors, on the page for the person. Yes, it can be a very valuable resource as more graves are recorded.

Hubbard

Oct 28, 2017
TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If in the US, the US Census data is pretty common to use back to 1850. It is still useful further back but with less detail.

I have found that deed information can be a great help in keeping track where your ancestors were and if other family members were in the same area. Once that is established, other government records in that area may fill in some blanks. One word of caution regarding wills is that they may not include all family members (if someone ticked off dad). Local histories may include your ancestors as well.

Remember that your family's history is a puzzle to be worked. Never assume that someone else's work is correct without some verification by you. If you need further help, let me know.

Best of luck.

Hubbard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread