Ancestral communion dresses?

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
My grand parents were from four nationalities, which made me a real hybrid. :D Who said mongrel? Shame. :D

One of them came from French Canada. Someone dug up several hundred family photos including several identified as being in that family.

There were three photos of girls wearing really quaint dresses, clearly First Communion dresses. I recently encountered a former neighbor in the Snow Zone who married a man from Quebec. I sent her the three photos and he said, yes, those were traditional Quebec Communion dresses.

I was sitting here thinking. That family had my grandma and her two sisters. We will never know but I theorize it is possible those girls were my grandma and her two sisters. Even as little girls, the difference in their appearances is similar to the differences as adults.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you can find someone in your family to confirm if it is your grandmother and her sisters. I love old photographs. When I see them at garage sales
, flea markets, etc., my heart just breaks that the people in them aren't even a memory to any one any more. I've rescued a few from my Mom over the past few years. I'm a little too sentimental. I know.

Kuznec

Greenie
Jul 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interestingly, our modern photos for grandsons and great-grandchildren will also be some kind of rarity, maybe then holograms or three-dimensional photos will be popular.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
No, I don't think anyone can identify them. Those photos are probably in the 1800's, and all the older generation is dead already. I have had those photos in my computer for several years, and one day sort of by accident I noticed that the three young girls had a similar appearance to the three adult women. So, I looked again, and feel confident they are my grandma (died 1916) and her two sisters, just not sure which ones from the family tree in Family Search.

Here in Mexico, I openly beg anyone who will listen if they have in their family or know anyone who does, to let me scan and make copies of them, for the entire family.

My wife was descended from a rich family, on her grandma's side. (Actually on both sides, her great-grandma was a Moctezuma and owned a major portion of land around here.) They had a lot of pictures, and the older matriarch of the family had boxes of them, and they go back as far as 1895. One day a visitor laughed at a distant cousin wearing bloomers. The matriarch threw a tantrum and said no one is laughing at my ancestors, and burned them all. I considered this an atrocity against mankind, and am trying to keep it from happening again.Not much luck yet, outside of close family.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
An affluent member of my wife's ancestry was known by family history as always wearing leather trousers. I have a photo showing a man, with all data indicating an affluent man, and he has leather trousers. I marked him as identified, though he died in 1898.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread