WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
On our Ohio property there is an "abandoned" church cemetery. A couple years ago two ladies stopped and asked if they could see it because they were descendants. I was honored to show them around and I gave them copies of the list of names that I have and my email for future reference. Apparently they shared with other family members. A couple weeks ago we came home and found a post-it note on the door. The note gave name,phone number, where he's from (Michigan) and wants to come back next year with his family. So we contacted him and made arrangements. I'm not sure how many are coming but I know they're coming from Michigan and as far as California. So I have a couple contacts of local people that are also descendants I'm going to keep them informed so they can all meet out here. Kind of cool.

It's considered "abandoned" because the church no longer exists and the township quit taking care of it years ago. I take care of it now.

I have been doing research on this land and cemetery. I have a year to get it all printed off and organized so that I can pass out packets for them.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds very interesting. Just curious what some of the last names are that all these folks descended from, as I had numerous ancestors that settled in, or passed through Ohio?

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is like Archaeology work doing background research and restoration. We must help others with that as it is a civic duty.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I was oblivious to abandoned cemeteries until we owned one. Then I found a map of the surrounding areas and discovered there are a lot of them. I mow it. Last year I tried to straighten up some of the smaller headstones, and edge around them so I would be less likely to damage them with the lawnmower. I can't straighten up the bigger ones, nor can I repair any. I'm working on how to clean them safely.

It's a little overwhelming because there are a lot of children. Those parents today that don't get vaccinations for their kids would probably change their mind if they had to get up close and personal with old cemeteries.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
There is a "county" (not what it's called her) near me. I dig through the death records before Family Searcj indexed them and made the book itself inaccessible, for I think 1877. There was a smallpox epidemic, as happened every few years. The average age at death was around 8. A lot of smallpox deaths in a short time. Yet, my town, 15 miles away, had virtually no deaths. Most smallpox deaths were in the first three years of life.

To this day, a third birthday is a special big fiesta, because of tradition. Historically it was rare for a kid to live that long.

The sad part of that epidemic is they had smallpox vaccinations by that time, but not out here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions