Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Need some Help with my Family Tree

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2016
    Westminster, MD
    Garrett Ace 250
    739 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have been doing a lot of playing around on FamilySearch.org lately and have found a lot of records for the various branches of my family. I have also found inaccuracies in what is contained there. I guess it helps that one of my ancestors put together one of those genealogy books for our family about 100 years ago. it records that line of the family back to the original ancestor who came here from Holland in 1636. I was surprised to find that the book for the family was available as a scan online as well as a reprint from some of the printers in India. There are tons of old books that they are reprinting on demand. Something to look into if you know of a history book for your family.
    Terry Soloman and Smithsgold like this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19741 times
    Metal Detecting
    I just ordered my Family History book. I think you can view it here: https://www.mycanvas.com/Sharing/Tur...LI16RqEuado%3D
    Smithsgold likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2206 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Jeez Terry, I thought at least you'd trace it back to King Solomon!! We may be related since all these trees don't go down the female side, my family settled in Ipswich and Salem in the 1630s, and another side in Nantucket and Boston around the same time. Wasn't that big a gene pool around in those days. I hear 23 & Me has a better DNA breakdown than Ancestry DNA. There is an old cemetery in Rowley, MA that has a lot of graves from early Ipswich residents you might want to see if you have any relatives there.
    Last edited by gunsil; Aug 15, 2018 at 10:42 AM.
    Terry Soloman likes this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19741 times
    Metal Detecting
    How cool is that Gunsil?! It turns out my family (Soloman; Goodwin; Randall; Chapman; and Rowe), has been in America, since 1590 at least. Just today, I got records from Scotland that confirmed my 20th Great Grandfather was a Crusader!

Sir John, Lord Innermeath, Stewart (Knight Templar)

1350–1421

BIRTH 1350 • Lorne, Perth, Perthshire, Scotland

DEATH 26 APR 1421 • Dunstaffshire Castle, Lorne, Argyllshire, Scotland

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2206 times
    I was just looking at Phillip Fowler's info and saw there was a book about the first ten generations of the Fowler family in America and it was written by Matthew Stickney. I have a book about the first ten generations in America for the Stickney family which was my mother's name. William Stickney is the family patriarch who came over in 1637 and is buried in the Rowley, MA burial grounds. Bet we are cousins!! My grandfather did a lot of research in England and although there were no references to crusaders the family is in the Domesday Book as having received a land grant from William the Conquerer for their services in his army invading England in 1066 and the battle of Hastings. There was a forefather who turned out with the rebels at Concord and Lexington and that is why my grandfather was also an SAR member although I have never applied to join.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Aug 2016
    Westminster, MD
    Garrett Ace 250
    739 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    I just ordered my Family History book. I think you can view it here: https://www.mycanvas.com/Sharing/Tur...LI16RqEuado%3D
    That book is really neat. I didn't know that you could get such things made. Of course for most of my family, we don't have all the supporting documentation, but I am sure that some searching could turn it up.

After I posted last night, I did some playing on-line looking up some relatives who had served in the civil war. Turns out one of them served, was discharged, then re-enlisted and served as a Colonel with the 17th Regiment of the United States Colored Infantry.
    Last edited by Keith Jackson; Aug 15, 2018 at 05:45 PM.

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    At Pro At Max
    3410 times

Exclamation

Hi Terry, I'm glued to this thread, it's truly awesome, especially finding out that an ancestor was a Crusader! I've been tossing the idea around the idea of chasing my bloodlines.. (father is Smith..good luck!)...but my Mother's side is Fallon, she was born in Falkirk, Scotland and I'm very interested to see where that takes me! Side note of interest : Nov 1987 there was a horrible fire at Kings Cross Railway Station in London. A great number of people perished, a true tragedy as there was fire suppression in place but no one on duty that day knew how to activate it. All but one that died was identified, a male they named "John Doe". Long story short, John Doe was my grandfather. I've mentioned this before on a couple different threads but just thought it might be interesting to you given the Scottish heritage. I've loaded a picture, it is a clay impression of "John Doe", made by an artist while they were trying to identify him. And Terry...it is EERILY spot on! Still gives me goosebumps...I remember warching a 2 hour documentary on History Channel, about this person, how thru forensics, dna and finally an unusual clip in his brain from an aneurysm, how he was identified. Terry, I wish you great luck in filling in all the blanks, thx very much. Ddf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-08-15-17-59-28.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	419.9 KB 
ID:	1622237  

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4327 times
    Here you go Dude EZ PZ You don't even owe me nuthin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1521376203_gorilla.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	1622246
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    19741 times
    Metal Detecting
    It is really cool that I have something to give to my children, and grandchildren, something they can take pride in and continue to investigate should they choose to. What we can find out today - without having to leave the house, is nothing less than Amazing! Yes, I have invested a few hundred dollars, and hundreds of hours now, but I really feel proud of my investment and work. The information I have found, and continue to find is priceless to me, and is bringing me a lot of joy.

Gunsil, I'll keep an eye open for William Stickney, as I continue to expand my tree. Keith, I encourage you to continue your research! Dirtdigginfool, that story gets in your head, amazing. Keep "digging" for the Fallon's, I know you'll find leads!

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    19741 times
    Metal Detecting
    WOW! Have you read the book, or seen the movie, "The DaVinci Code?" Well, as it turns out, Baron William Roslin Sinclair 1405–1480
    BIRTH 1405 • Rosslyn Castle, Midlothian, Scotland / Caithness, Scotland, is my 22nd great-grandfather!

us
    Scotland, Aye !!

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    9734 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    It's a hugh callenge to find all the links from the first of my clan, but i'll keep researching.

Don........
    Terry Soloman and Underwonder like this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    19741 times
    Metal Detecting
    Some more interesting Great Grandfathers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13th GGF Soloman Side.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	432.6 KB 
ID:	1625423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rev rev.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	784.8 KB 
ID:	1625424  

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    19741 times
    Metal Detecting
    Here are a few "highlights" from my Ancestry.com DNA results, and now over 780-hours of research and detective work. There is no narration, just some music. It is part of a file I have put together for my kids, and grandkids.

us
    Aug 2013
    North Central Texas
    AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
    350 times
    Terry,

About 10 years ago I joined Ancestry.com and started on my family tree. I got so into it and found it so interesting that when I went on line working on it, I wound up spending 10 to 12 hours a day. I kept running into a dead end regarding my g grandfather on my fathers side and I didn't know why. The rest of my family, on both sides although pure German, were Pennsylvania Dutch and therefore there were pretty clear family records back into the early 1700's and beyond. I hired a professional genealogy investigator off of Ancestry back about 9 years ago now and paid $2000.00 to find out info on the g grandfather who turned out to be from Germany. For that two grand, I found out the ship he came here on with my g grandmother, the date he left and arrived here and where he left from in Germany and the name of the ship. More info would cost me more money so I declined going further in that direction back then. Please keep in mind that I was and had been a professional investigator for many years, so I was aware that as an investigator your contacts were very important and also that data bases that you enroll in do cost money. I just thought, as a professional, that although the info I received was helpful and truthful, it was VERY expensive for what I got as results. About 6 years ago I got off Ancestry.com and stayed off for 6 years until about two months ago when my 87 year old mother in law asked me to do the search on her family tree. Now, I'm back on Ancestry.com again working both her tree and my family tree again.

As has already been said, BE VERY CAREFUL on Ancestry about what info you use and incorporate into your tree, especially several generations back. Check and double check what you put into your tree as your line. Also, the member who commented about finding someone in another country to barter with for researching records is a great idea and jump on that offer to help you get into that. You are very lucky that member offered to share that with you. Good Luck Terry. If I can help a fellow Vet with any of this just holler Bro.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    19741 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thank you most sincerely Unclebuck257!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links