Anyone interested in finding a living relative of Simon McCrury of Kansas?

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this very interesting item in a book. It is a Personal Property Statement for tax purposes, dated 1885 from the township of Cedar in Jackson Co., Kansas.

The name is Simon McCrury, elsewhere spelled MrCrory. Here is some info on him:

SIMON MCCRORY, farmer and stock-raiser Section 8, Township 8, Range 16, P. O. North Cedar, was born November 12, 1845, in County Antrim, Ireland, and lived in his native country until his twelfth year, when his parents emigrated to American, locating in Gentry County, Mo., where they resided three years, and thence removed to Page County, Iowa, where the family still reside. In March, 1870, Mr. McCrory became a resident of Kansas, locating on his farm in Cedar Township, Jackson County, where he has since lived. He is a prominent and zealous member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North Cedar. He was married in Page County, Iowa, October 13, 1870, to Miss Agnes Stevenson, a native of Ohio. They have seven children living - Maggie, Robert, Samuel, Mary, James Thomas, and William. Mr. McCrory owns a fine upland farm of ninety acres, ten acres of which is timber land. It is enclosed by substantial fences, is in a good state of cultivation, is well supplied with water, and handsomely improved by an elegant new frame dwelling, stock stables, lots, sheds, granary, corn crib, and splendid groves, and orchards. Mr. McCrory devotes his attention to raising corn, cattle, hogs, and horses. He grows 1,000 bushels of corn, 300 bushels of small grain, keeps twenty-five choice stock cattle, twenty-five stock hogs, and six head of fine horses. Mr. McCrory is an industrious, practical and thorough farmer, a good citizen, and honorable, high-toned man. He and his amiable wife are highly pleased with this country. - Cutler, History of the State of Kansas (1883).

If any of you are interested in tracking down relatives, I'd be happy to donate this to a living relative. It would be really nice framed and displayed.

IMG_2670.jpg Version 2.jpg

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a nice piece of history CreakyDigger , and a nice gesture on your part.
I did have to laugh when I saw he had 27 "Neat" cows, as opposed to 27 unruly or unorganized cows :laughing7:

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, yeah, his cows were tidy. Even though I'm old as dirt, I'm still not retired...hoping that someone with more time on their hands can pursue this.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The family seems to have 'roots' in Sterling, Rice County, Kansas.
If I were to pursue this further I'd do the following:
1. Contact the Sterling public library and ask them for information on how to obtain the phone number of anyone in Sterling with that last name.
2. While chatting with the library, ask for the Reference Desk. At the Reference Desk, as for the name and contact information of the County's Historian; then follow up with that person.
3. If the library can't help you with the name of the county historian, contact the Rice County General Library and ask them.
My 'gut' tells me there are still living relatives of your guy in the Sterling area.
Good luck,
Don.........

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don, I called, and got the ball rolling.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sterling is a pretty small town. I live within an hour of there. Funny thing, I used to live in Jackson county too. It sounds like you're well on your way to finding relatives.

I'm impressed by 1000 bushels of corn raised with horses.

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I found somebody...they're happy.

"The document arrived today. Thanks again for reaching out and sending it my way.

"A cousin of mine still owns Simon's farm, so I plan on framing it and giving it to him so it can be displayed in the original homestead. I appreciate you making that possible!

"Ben"

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It's great when things like this can be given back to people who will appreciate them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread