Buying mom an Ancestry DNA kit!

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone explain what types of results we will get? Is it we will just get % of each race,? Does anyone know if the Great Britain and Ireland/with Scotland all lumped together and called "Anglo Saxton?" I know we have Welch then one Scottish and one Irish great grandmother. But the Scottish one is questionable for actual origin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, you do get percentages of each race. With GB, Ireland and Scotland are linked together BUT if you're mums Irish/scottish ancestors are relatively recent it may also show more specifics such as individual cities or counties (just examples, but the areas are based on genetics not political geography). Here is a screenshot of the areas within Scotland/Ireland... Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 10.13.26 PM.png
Knowing your ethnicity is pretty cool and all but even more useful is what else you can do with AncestryDNA, it shows you other people who are related and allows you to contact them... this can be useful to see other peoples research or help solve simple genetic mysteries. Ancestry also allows you to export your data, which can be uploaded to other sites (like GEDmatch which is what I use) that allow you to compare matches from other websites and have a lot of super cool genetics tools. If you are hesitant I would definitely recommend it, it was a lot cooler than i expected!
I hope I helped, and if I can answer any other questions let me know!
-Noah D

Last edited:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, to show how detailed it can get with these I clicked on Connacht for you... most of my family immigrated way back when so mine isn't this specific for Ireland or anywhere in Europe but it shows where my family likely lived here in America (and yeah it's pretty right). Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 10.26.50 PM.png

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my results from Ancestry.com a couple of years ago they were divided. I am Great Britain 78%, Ireland/Scotland/Wales 8%, Sweden 9%, France 3%, Germanic Europe 2%. But I can only guess if some of that is from Viking blood.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know but one of my Cousins got one as a gift. her mom and my mom are sisters.

she said "did the 23 and me DNA test (was a gift from the kids) and found out that our mom's side, the women have a rare lineage. It comes from royalty in Europe.The Hapsburgs and Marie Antonnette." thats all she said.

so when did
Marie Antonnette take a dna test and mail it in ?

Personally I Think that's like a Psychic telling someone they were George Washington or napolian in another Life.
I Just wonder if they tell everyone things like this. :tongue3:

or if they have a "Special Offer" To do a Comprehensive Report for $99.99

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from Minnesota back mostly 3 generations.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
They do at times extract DNA from tombs and other old remains. And, in some cases, they actually have very good documentation on descendants of important people,

OP
OP
GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humph. I had my own DNA done too. Not only us my moms very off from the known geneoligy but mine is too. Then ancestry keeps updating the percentages and changing them tii. And some off relative showed up that may be from an unknown coupling by grandpa or my uncle during a misspent youth. I really would like to know how to upload the info to Gedcom or 23and me? Are there directions somewhere in line?

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another side track with these DNA tests is, you can have some interesting surprises. My cousin was contacted by a half sister that her unwed mom had and had gave up for adoption in the 40s.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four sisters I went to school with all had their DNA done, don't remember which company. They all grew up together and their parents were married for all four of them. WOOPS!! DNA showed one had a different father!! Their parents had passed so they never got to ask mom who she had an affair with so one sister has no idea who her father was. Gotta be careful of what you ask for!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread