Being teased by genealogy site for 119/year.

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put up what I thought was my exhaustive family tree....and suddenly geni.com brings me to a "set of relatives," containing many hundreds of years of more relatives. I was thrilled and texted about a few to elderly mom. *As it turns out I should have downloaded everything I saw, geni wouldn't let me see those again the next day without a $119.00/annual fee! No I couldn't afford it. All I am left with are notes on about 6 people to try to piece them in hundreds of years apart tomy tree is going to be pretty challenging to do! Very frustrated.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put up what I thought was my exhaustive family tree....and suddenly geni.com brings me to a "set of relatives," containing many hundreds of years of more relatives. I was thrilled and texted about a few to elderly mom. *As it turns out I should have downloaded everything I saw, geni wouldn't let me see those again the next day without a $119.00/annual fee! No I couldn't afford it. All I am left with are notes on about 6 people to try to piece them in hundreds of years apart tomy tree is going to be pretty challenging to do! Very frustrated.

It is extremely hard to separate fact from fiction when trying to trace your ancestry. I spent almost a thousand-hours, and several thousand dollars, tracing mine. I was led down several false trails during the process, having to go back a generation or two and start over at least three times. It is frustrating, but hang in there. I highly recommend Ancestry.com and their DNA kit. It helps to weed out many false leads.:occasion14:

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing family history or genealogy for 45 years. I do not think it is right to charge for that. I spent alot of time seating in court houses digging through old records. I did do the ancestry DNA test that Terry talked about. It does take out some and confirms some old family stories. Just like metal detecting it sold be fun and enjoyable not a costly adventure.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I like Family Search, the LDS data base system, and it is free, with very few limitations for those who are not LDS. For my personal records, I use Ancestral Quest, which is also free unless you need more complex options which do cost.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Something new on familysearch. I did input some family history and now when I log in, it feeds me names of my ancestors, in some cases long, long ago. Apparently data put in by others. I am at around 700 ancestors, including 1620's in the Colonies.

Roots is an organization which also feeds ancestry. I have listed many people related as far as 9th cousin, in almost every nation in the world. And, it will list every person between me and them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread