Old Plantation

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I got permission today to search an old plantation site. The home burned down in the early 1800s from what I gather. The huge pilings that held the upper porch are still standing so I will have a very good idea of where the home sat. What do you think I am likely to find? I will be out there at the crack of dawn Saturday with fresh batts and my Tesoro Deleon. I have looked at the site in the past and it looks as tho the ground has never been built up, practically untouched. It is very near the mississippi river, maybe there was some Civil War activity near here, maybe not. Any thoughts? ???

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Not sure what you will find but I hope you find lots of good stuff. Let us know how it turned out.

Sue

PS: Love your avatar!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
If the plantation burned in the early 1800's , I wouldn't think that it would have been occupied for too many years. It may be a fairly "clean" site. Civil war artifacts? Hmmmm, hard to say since the home was inhabitable during the war. The land could have been used as a camp though.

Likely finds will be square nails which are way cool, brass and iron buckles, various pieces of unidentifiable iron. Certainly gotta believe there's an old coin or two waiting for you. Perhaps a large cent.

Any idea when the structure was built? Look for signs of the privy. And please post a picture of the pilings!!!

Jamie

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold and lots of it! You never know...

HH,
Ramapirate

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Hey Shane,
You might find the skeleton key to the old house, that was one of the first things I found when I searched an old plantation site where the old home used to sit. I also found some horseshoes and some old coins, expect to find old silverware also. Good luck and let us know what you found. John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions