state parks?

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the answer to that questions varies depending on the state. Some states allow detecting, some not at all and other detecting in designated parks only. Go on the internet and look up each state you are interested in and decipher the law from there. I know this isn't a black and white answer but its only what I have learned from experience and reading Tnet.

fccdfed

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
FMDAC has a section of their website that supposedly answers this .... state-by-state ..... since states vary. But the way they (the FMDAC) got their data, was simply to mail or call each state's park's headquarters, and ask. The problem with that is, you/they might get a "no" or "inquire at each kiosk as you enter", when in fact, prior to the list, a lot of state parks got routinely detected, and no one cared. The reason is simple: in any given state, there is bound to be *some* state parks that are admittedly historically sensitive. And then there are others, that are not historically sensitive in the slightest, or are so big and remote, that perhaps only the cabin at one tiny dot in many square miles is the landmark, but the rest is not cared about. So if you were the person answering such a letter, and had to give a concise answer, you know that it would be nearly impossible to say "well, .... yes at these over here, but no at those 3 over there, or yes on the beach here, but not next to the historic cabin, blah blah blah". So guess what the easy answer is? A lot of them just say "inquire at each kiosk". Well you can guess what happens when everyone starts doing that: Whereas a lot of them probably never gave the matter any thought before, now all of the sudden individual park rangers find themselves answering this question. So what's the easy answer? (they probably envision geeks with shovels). And so on and so on it goes.

California, for example, has some dire sounding rules according to that FMDAC site. But ironically, most of the state parks here are detected with no problem, in full view of anyone and everyone. As long as we stayed clear of obvious historical landmarks, no one ever seemed to care. But in the last 10 or 15 yrs, that climate seemed to change. Some people started getting booted at places where no one ever cared before. All I can figure is, this self-fulfilling prophecy of us thinking we need to ask, thus getting places put off limits. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

But to answer your question, it depends. Others will come on here saying "go and ask", thus only continuing the cycle. But it's a catch 22, because how were you/we supposed to know if someone really cared? Another thing you can do is look it up yourself, and NOT ask. Usually the rules are written in a state park's website somewhere. Do a word search on "metal detecting" (or variations thereof). If it is silent on the issue, then go.

OP
OP
pookie-princess of rust
Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
i looked up the rules for ri, and it says metal detectors are only allowed in specific areas at specific times... ??? so if there are no posted signs its ok? is that what that is supposed to mean?
and how do you know if its a "historically sensitive" site? there is a monument at a park i'm interested in hunting... would that whole park automatically be off limits or just the area near the monument?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I would take that as a "go for it", unless told (or signed) otherwise :-*

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom is right on this as always. When in doubt act dumb and go for it till told otherwise. I never have any problems but some day I could run into a park ranger on a power trip and could be told to stop.

I had a part time job as a ranger at some state parks years ago. You know, the dude that takes your money at the gate. I would be asked about metal detecting and I would just remind them to fill their holes and take out what they dig up even though the park had restrictions on where to detect.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. The burden is on you to find out what is ok and what is off-limits.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ditto to what Tom said.

I missed detecting a park simply because my understanding was no state parks of historic significance. I just found out a couple guys have been detecting it and cops drive by, maintainence workers stop and thank them for filling in holes that others forget.It's historic on paper only. It's been done and redone so many times, any history is totally lost.

The problem with your idea Jonnycat is, a large percentage of places have no specific rules or laws on their books...so they make them up as you speak to them. That's how I missed a great opportunity. Or worse, you put an idea in their head and they make laws against detecting.

There's lots and lots of experience and wisdom from the folks here and some of us have learned from trial and error over the years. Only once since the early 80's was I ever asked to not detect someplace. It wasn't a law, just some caretaker worrying about underground sprinklers. I respected the man and left....that easy!

Al

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
For Michigan State Parks. On the website for each park it now tells you not only if mding is allowed, but where it is allowed. There is a little map on each one. Usually now beaches, campsites and parking areas are all that you are allowed to hunt. If you find an artifact of any kind you are supposed to show it to park personnel and they decide if you can keep it.
Yeah, right.
Mark

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
WHEN IN DOUBT,, :stop:,, STAY OUT..... BETTER SAFE ,,THAN LOSE YOUR DETECTOR.. :thumbsup:

MLHUDSON

Attachments

• be_1_b.jpg
    be_1_b.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 225

midirtdevil

Sep 21, 2008
Holland, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mlhudson said:
WHEN IN DOUBT,, :stop:,, STAY OUT..... BETTER SAFE ,,THAN LOSE YOUR DETECTOR.. :thumbsup:

MLHUDSON
Can they really take your detector??? Its my baby!!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Chatking, this fear of "confiscated detectors" gets bandied around now and then. But if you were to ask around amongst all md'rs: "do you know of anyone who's had their detector confiscated? Can you cite such an incident happening?" The examples are very few and far between. I've been booted out of many locations, and have never had anything more than a "scram". I mean, sure, technically there may be verbage that allows them to do such a thing, if you were night-sneaking Shiloh or Ghettysburg, etc... The laws are filled with book text of the "maximum fine and imprisonment" stuff, but rarely does the "maximum" occur, unless you were a moron who couldn't take a warning, night sneaking obvious historical sites. But for the average Joe hunting regular parks, campgrounds, etc... the most that would happen is you would get "informed", and ushered on. Big deal.

ICE

Greenie
Jul 11, 2008
Kentucky is very specific and just "Just Say No" is the word. I asked the guy at the campground and he didn't care. He called the Ranger and he said "Stay inside the Campground and fill in any holes". Seems like it is a crap shoot might as and any specific day they may say yes. Ice

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ice, that is a "case example" of "it depends on who you ask, and how you phrase it". How much you wanna make a bet that if you asked up high enough up the "chain of command" (especially the state's archie rep's) you might just easily get a "no"? And really now, do you think that one no-giver was or would really be out watching or caring? It's just like nose-picking: no one cares till you ask "can I pick my nose?" If you ask around enough, someone will tell you "of course you can't!"

mellowcheddar

Aug 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
In OH it's a no, but my favorite spot is a former High School campus (razed) which is in a State park, 2 people I ran into back in my creepy woods last week told me they saw a guy almost every morning on the beach all summer, and that someone else pokes around too. I had a maintainence dude roll within 3 feet of me on his golfcart last week and a smile & nod is all I got. Although admittedly there are never any rangers around, and there's plenty of Crackheads around to bother instead of some weird chick in the woods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread