To All Treasure Hunters - Our Legal Rights are at Risk! WE NEED YOUR HELP!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Dear Fellow Treasure Hunters,

Even if you do not have any interest in Shipwreck Salvage or the Shipwreck forum, WE NEED YOUR HELP!

I know this is The General Discussion forum, but Our legal rights for Shipwreck Salvage within State waters are at risk!

We need your help to show our opposition to the proposed changes to the State of Florida's Rule 1A-31. We are asking everyone, even if you do not live in Florida, to please take a few minutes of your time and send a comment to the State of Florida showing you are against the proposed changes in rule 1A-31 and that you support responsible commercial salvage of historic shipwrecks within Florida's State waters.

We only have until October 17th so please act soon and get everyone you know to send a comment!

Please go the to the following link : https://www.flrules.org/Gateway/View_notice.asp?id=6172515

Scroll down and check Send One Time Comment to the Agency and then click the Make Comment button. Post your own commnets or copy and paste comments from below.

There are over 20,000 members here at TNet. If we all come together we can stop this legislation. I am not asking for money, just 1 minute of your time. Please copy the comments below (or create your own) and follow the link above. It takes only a few clicks to show your support.

Thank You!

Robert Gecy

1. We are against any rules or regulations that would hinder Florida's responsible historical shipwreck salvors from their continued recovery of treasures and artifacts, such as the current proposed rules.
2. Under the Revised and Published Rule 1A-31.0092 (3) c, d, e it declares that permit areas shall have a "Buffer Zone" of 500 yards width from: navigation channels, exempted areas as defined in this chapter and excluded areas as defined in this chapter. These areas are defined in 1A-31.0042 and 1A-31.0045. This means no one will get a permit within 500 yards of a public recreation area (i.e. public beach) which translates to about one fourth of a mile from any Florida shoreline. The entire coastline of Florida is off limits for 1500 feet. This is not fair because history shows us that the majority of shipwrecks were blown toward or onto shore by hurricanes. The vast majority of shipwrecks on Florida's submerged lands are probably included within this area. It also means no one (without a grandfathered in Admiralty Claim) will get a permit within 500 yards of any inland waters, inlets, National Park systems, National Marine Sanctuaries such as the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary), State Parks, Local public recreation areas, resource conservation areas and resource management areas, areas conveyed to public or private entities............. etc.

3. We believe the Division of Historical Resources should do more to work with the private sector salvors of Florida and encourage salvors to come into a fair, even handed and just permit process. Rule 1A-31 does not seek to do this.

4. We believe Florida's private sector salvors have done an excellent job of recovering and preserving our maritime heritage, to the direct benefit of the public and at little cost to the taxpayers and should be allowed to continue with as little interference as possible. Rule 1A-31 does not do this.

5. We do not want our tax dollars used by state archaeologists to dive on shipwrecks. The private sector salvors have done a great job, using their own money, with Florida getting the benefits by receiving 20% of the conserved artifacts and treasures recovered. We do not support any changes to rule 1A-31 that would make it harder for the salvors to continue.

6. We feel the new rule is unfair because it treats commercial salvors as second class citizens due to the fact that it does not give the same standards to commercial salvors as Rule 1A-32 gives to universities and nonprofit organizations. For example, the turnover or response time to get permits for 1A-32 is two weeks while commercial groups have waited months and in some cases, years. Also 1A-32 uses students as excavators while commercial enterprises must use experts.

7. We think Rule 1A-31 is unfair because university and nonprofit 1A‐32 permit holders get a search & survey, recovery & salvage permit ALL in their first permit while 1A-31 requires commercial salvors to obtain only search & survey permits with rules that vary from salvor to salvor. NO recovery & salvage permits (unless already grandfathered in by Federal Admiralty Claims) have been issued to commercial groups in Florida for over 15 years.

8. We are opposed to the rule because individuals who have current contracts for exploration have not all been individually notified of the workshops and hearings. It is also unfair that when they are notified, the locations of such meetings repeatedly take place at locations remote to the majority of the private and commercial entities that it will affect. Therefore, if a few dozen commercial groups from the Keys want to attend, they need to drive either 9 hours to St. Augustine area or 12 hours to the Tallahassee area (and back.) This means they have to miss THREE days work to attend. Two days driving and one day at the meetings. Future meetings should be held in a central location of the state such as the Orlando area to accommodate the majority of thestakeholders. Additionally, these meetings should not be held between June 1 and Sept 30th of any year, as that is the 120 day window for good weather conditions on the majority of the archaeological sites worked by commercial salvors in Florida.

9. We are opposed to the rule because it insists that an archaeologist be on board each salvage vessel during each and every survey and excavation. This is unnecessary because most electronic surveys are non‐intrusive and the majority of actual excavation areas are empty or turn out to be modern intrusions such as lawn chairs, discarded shrimp or lobster traps, beer cans and in some cases, U.S. military bombs in old target practice areas. Of course when major conglomerates of shipwreck material or structure are found, it would then be appropriate for the archaeologist to be on board to supervise the proper mapping and recording of these areas The reality is that the majority of the archaeologist's time is spent working with a cartographer, mapping and analyzing data collected during remote sensing surveys and identifying patterns from other known sites in an effort to decide which anomalies to excavate first, and writing reports after poring through the reams of data provide by the artifact recovery process. His presence on the site is not necessary until significant cultural deposits or structures are encountered.

10. The new rule should address some sort of Annual Adjudication of Title from the State to the permit holder rather than "Transfer of objects" in exchange for recovery services. This way, the state can receive donations of artifacts, because it is usually impossible to put an actual dollar value on each and every artifact found and this would create much confusion in tax law since the transfer of object has an indeterminable value.

11. This rule creates more work and overhead for DHR to manage their resources. Permits should be issued for a minimum of three years, much like the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, thereby alleviating costs to the DHR by reducing paperwork.

12. We feel this rule is unfair because commercial salvors are constantly in the research and development stages of using new technology for survey, excavation and conservation much of which is proprietary information. This rule eliminates many future possibilities and opportunities for research, development and testing of these new technologies.

13. We feel this rule is unfair because it requires the permit holder to turn over thousands of dollars worth of proprietary surveyresults without any guarantee that they will be allowed to salvage a site once it is found. There is no incentive for the permit holder to obtain a survey & exploration permit. An alternative would be to use wording similar to that in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, which does not even require a "Survey & Exploration" permit at all and yet it seems to have been beneficial.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: To All Treausre Hunters - Our Legal Rights are at Risk! WE NEED YOUR HELP!

HIO, As usual, this will also bleed over to land treasures. Once one state does it, the others follow rapidly. . So get to cracking peeps, if you wish to keep detecting. After all, coins minted before 1956, are archaeologically classified thingies and so you are committing a crime by digging one up. Next year it will be coins prior to 1957 and so on each year.

Detecting is only as strong as it's weakest link. Destroy it one link at a time.

Don Jose de La Mancha

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Explorer of History in North Western Mexico

ivan salisda book worm--researcher

callahan,fl
Detector used:
current ace 250 --( BH also) used many others too

REPORT POST Nominate For Banner
Re: Notice of Development of Rulemaking, Chapter 1A-31, Exploration and Salvage of H
Reply To This Topic #48 Posted Yesterday at 06:56:56 PM Quote
correct real me amingo --we must hang together before we are hung one at a time. Ivan

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After all, coins minted before 1956, are archaeologically classified thingies and so you are committing a crime by digging one up. Next year it will be coins prior to 1957 and so on each year.

hummm... I wonder what would happen if you called them up and said, "Hello, I was metal detecting and found some coins. When I got home and cleaned them I noticed one of the coins, a penny, was minted in 1953 and qualifies as an archaeological find. Would you please send someone over right away to pick it up."

Historic Preservation
500 S. Bronough Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
(850) 245-6333

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salisda book worm--researcher

callahan,fl
Detector used:
current ace 250 --( BH also) used many others too

REPORT POST Nominate For Banner
Re: Notice of Development of Rulemaking, Chapter 1A-31, Exploration and Salvage of H
Reply To This Topic #51 Posted Yesterday at 09:20:40 PM Quote
as yes the famous "older than 50 year rule* stupid isn't it? accord to that rule ALL WHEAT PENNIES WILL SOON BE ARCHAEOLOGOGICAL FINDS since the last wheat cents were made in 1959* and next year is 2009 --yep 50 years old -- and at that rate in 2014 all 1964 and before 90% silver coins will be archaeological finds thus by law illegal to keep * and by 2020 even the 1970 silver 40% halves will be archaeological finds a mere 11 1/3 years from now only crap clad will be offically "legal" to keep as finds at this rate----

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Reply To This Topic #54 Posted Today at 06:17:57 AM Quote
I agree with a lot of what GFH says.This is a perfect time to mount an assault against any
special interest groups that are trying to take away our rights.With the financial mess that's
going on ,and the public's outrage with all the pork-barrel spending by special interest groups
that have put us in this mess,I can't believe an agency of the government trying to eleminate
a group of people who are willing to finance projects with their own money,and take all the
risks.I don't believe the public wants to take money from public projects,and even education,
and pay for publicly funded salvors,when private enterprise is already doing the job for free,
plus the state get's a cut.Once the public sees the insanity of this,I hope they will come down
hard on these special interest groups.We just need to shine the light on what they are doing
behind the scene.A government of the people,by the people,and FOR THE PEOPLE. HH Joe

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed, it is a perfect time. Most Archaeological depts will be finding that their funding is being cut or even eliminated. They might understand that their best chance for work is to encourage exploration and recoveries on both land and sea.

They just might be willing to foment a review of the present laws in order to encourage exploration, which means more work opportunities for them. If we work together, it will be far better for both private salvage and Archaeological ends.

If things go down the drain, they will quickly learn on which side of their bread the butter is.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quote from: ivan salis on Yesterday at 09:20:40 PM
as yes the famous "older than 50 year rule* stupid isn't it? accord to that rule ALL WHEAT PENNIES WILL SOON BE ARCHAEOLOGOGICAL FINDS since the last wheat cents were made in 1959* and next year is 2009 --yep 50 years old -- and at that rate in 2014 all 1964 and before 90% silver coins will be archaeological finds thus by law illegal to keep * and by 2020 even the 1970 silver 40% halves will be archaeological finds a mere 11 1/3 years from now only crap clad will be offically "legal" to keep as finds at this rate----

Yes, I just had a thought too...what about all the landfills and garbage dumps that are older than 50 years? Are they going to become archaeological sites of the future? Or does that mean they already...perhaps going to be off limits?

Voter roll purging...did you just see some of the news headlines? Hard to believe what I just read...how can they eliminate over 1 million registered voters from Indiana? it is my state, what's the deal here...

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI The above posts were copied from the series in "shipwreck" We must stick rogether or else you can hang up your detector shortly.

Don Jose de La Mancha .

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro

left my comments for the state of Florida.
Mark

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Done - Good luck with your efforts.

Brian

mosemeister

Mar 10, 2006
Upper Bucks County,PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax Silver
Hi Robert. I left my comment. I hope that everything works out for those who wish to hunt shipwrecks. It seems like all of our freedoms are slowly being taken away. :( Mosey

L

LandStar

My comments were sent to the link given. I am fully against any laws that take away from our great hobby...

Thanks for the info,

Robert
AKA - LandStar

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
KEEP EM COMING!

Thanks again for the support!

Robert

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent a polite comment and also forwarded the numbered list.

HH,
Ramapirate

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
+ 1
IMG_4979_2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread