Opinion on the coins that you find.

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, went detecting this weekend at a park and found about 70 coins in total. I found 44 quarters, some 20 dimes and a good 10 or so pennies.

This got me to thinking... why so many quarters? Why such a difference in the number of coins? Of course, it could be my method of scouring the land.

OR....

I also thought of this. What coins is someone more likely to lose? When it comes to quarters... okay.. I can understand that they are a heavier coin than the dime, penny and nickel. So, perhaps it's more likely to fall out of someones pocket when they sit down, or run around. However, we all tend to find more pennies overall. I figured that this is more than likely the case where ... say if you drop a penny.. do you REALLY pick it up? Sometimes, probably not.. but if you drop a quarter, more than likely you will pick it up.

What do you think of my thoughts on this? I was just curious to your thought on why we tend to find more of one denomination than others?

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That ratio of finds does seem kinda out of the norm.
I have gone to parks and found more dimes than pennies without finding a single quarter. Then there's another park I pull out quarters and pennies and nothing else. But I have never found more quarters than anything else.

One area I do is a ball park and I think I'm finding mostly pocket spills by the locals that play there. I'm sure there's a fair share of people like myself that will just leave a penny change at the conveniance store or like some guys I work with that deliberately toss pennies because they dont like them. So maybe people in that particular area just toss pennies somewhere so the only change they have is nickles and up.

Sounds like you got an area that just hasn't been hunted frequently by other detectorists. I've been to a few places that have been cherry picked by others for the hard-silver sound and just passed up the smaller coinage...that's why I think I find so many dimes.

How high is your discrimination? I noticed you didnt find any nickles.

So....once you work that area good of all the good signals...go back and find those smaller signals...dimes and pennies...and then you'll get into the even deeper oldies as you slow down and listen harder. And if you decide you don't want to, myself or someone else will detect it again and find those left behind.

Al

BLB878

Jun 12, 2008
Rogers, AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, ace 250, x-terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive had the same experience with a country school. My sister works there and she said that one of the teachers will reward her students with quarters. I do not remember what the reward was for though. Vending machines could be another answer. The ones that don't take dollar bills.

RNELSON

Oct 7, 2008
first , congrats on your finds ..

i find .25 but not that many ever at one time ,nice..must be an area that hasn't been looked over in a long time .i would think that people lose more of the smaller coins as they could carry more of them at one time than larger type coins.i find alot of dimes and nickles .

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
It's a mystery of epic proportions........well, maybe not that big, but I get those anomalies here, too.

There's one certain park in town that consistently produces 2-3 times as many quarters as pennies.

There's another local park that I can count on for 4-5 times as many dimes as pennies.

Then there's the park that produces all pennies and almost nothing else.

No idea what causes these results, but they have been consistent over the last 3 or 4 years.

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your thoughts. I found it a bit strange too. The park I was hunting in has only produced clad so far, but a fair amount. It figured out to be about $13.00 in clad for about 2 hours of hunting. The father in law hunted with me, and also found a good 30 coins or so.

As for my discrimination... I don't really have that on my detector. My detector basically has four settings... iron, zinc, aluminum and coins. When i'm coin shooting, I filter out the iron, zinc and aluminum. This allows me to find pre-1982 pennies, dimes and quarters. Sadly, nickels show up as aluminum, so I don't find too many.

I plan on going over the park again this weekend (didn't get to do the whole thing, AND I want to go over my already searched areas again). Once I think it's about clean, then i'll turn on everything except iron and re-search it again. Hopefully, the oldies will start showing up. Right on the back part of the park is a meetinghouse that dates to 1752. Should be some old stuff somewhere there!

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
That sure is a fair amount of clad.

I have these parks also, but mine are zinc parks and stinkin Lincoln parks. :o

Have not found the quarter park or the dime park. Would like to find the silver dollar park but that is wishfull thinking.

If I come home with $3.00 in clad, that was a good day. Your parks evidentally do not get hunted as often as the ones in my area. Glad you have some good hunting spots, that makes the hobby that more interesting.

Happy Hunting

Ray S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions