Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm just going to say it, and it's not out of jealousy I promise to you all.

Why would someone buy the most expensive metal detector on the planet (not really but pretty high) and show up with it at their first group hunt without the first clue of how to use it? This was a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of guys that decided to meet up and hunt. We'd told the guy to get him something decent that he could learn on and get the hang of detecting. This cat shows up with (I'm not even going to say the brand name) that cost him like $2,500! He had the hat and the golf shirt with the name on it. He looked like a sales rep.
He didn't have the first clue about how to use the detector, not an inkling. He could turn it on that was about it. Nobody at the hunt really knew that much about it. It had to be programmed. After about 45 minutes of muddling around he put it back in the truck and came over and sat and watched us find stuff. Someone offered him the use of a spare Garrett they'd brought with them, and after turning them down a couple of times, he tried it. He was finding stuff right off the bat and was laughing at himself for dropping that much money after we'd told him what to get to start with. He asked if they wanted to trade, and the owner told him he could have bought 10 of the Garretts for what he paid for his. I asked him if he'd bought the beast from Kellyco, and he said no, Kellyco had tried to sell him something less expensive to learn on. The dude's got plenty of bank, but... I just don't get people sometime.
Have any of you experienced this with any of your buds? Please share.

HH,
Ramapirate

T

The.Boomer

Yep the guy who taught me, who BTW is on here allot. He told me he'd made the same mistake. Got sold a DFX by a less than honorable dealer. then whenever he went to hunt, which was only one weekend a month for the first couple of years, he say he spent the majority of time trying to relearn the machine. Finally he gave up, sold the DFX and bought three beginner machines for the price of the one. Gave one to his wife and the other to his son. Now they're all out hunting just about all the time. Getting the beginners means getting the finds which means getting hooked. :wink:

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's my point precisely. Well, I better get to work before I get fired...

HH,
Ramapirate

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well he might of got the same advice I see and agree with. Buy the best you can afford.

I'm still struggling with the idea that these detectors are hard to operate even for someone new to detecting. A friend of mine bought a DFX and was finding good stuff from the first outing. How hard can it be?

For example. The DFX you turn it on and it gives you a selection of what you want to hunt. Coins, Coins & Jewelry, Jewelry/Beach etc. You press enter to pick what you plan to hunt then it tells you to hold the coil waist high and press enter. Then it tells you to lower the coil to the ground and press enter. Boom, you're ready to hunt.

T

The.Boomer

If you knew the guy, you'd understand. His son teaches him how to set his watch ever time the time changes.
;D :wink: But he is uncanny at his ability to find stuff. He says it's more about the right location than about anything else. I think he's right, at least it works for me. :tongue3:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He says it's more about the right location than about anything else.

I couldn't agree more. Of course in time you WILL run out of those "right locations" and then a good detector fills the gap.

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is a great post and is an awesome perspective/way of looking at a newbie to the hobby. I hear quite a bit from the old pro's about simpler, less expensive machines - but guess what? Those are *great* introduction's to the hobby!! I really think it's important to remember that there's a difference between "the best you can afford" and "the best to get you started." It's very important to understand that all machines have a learning curve and no one needs to be intimidated by a whole slue of features when they're just beginning to grasp the concept of metal detecting.

Poor guy - he just wanted to do this hobby up right - who can fault him? I hope he retains an interest in MD'ing and get's something he can be comfortable with!

T

The.Boomer

Along the same lines are the newbies who post things like. I want help deciding on what metal detector to buy. I did some research here so I know I need to know what kind of hunting I want to do and how much I want to spend. So What I want is a detector that can find only old coins and gold or silver jewelry, but mostly gold if I have to choose. But I only wanna pay $200 a the most.:D :D :D

Like don't we all want a md like that ? ??? :icon_scratch:

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yipes, I did kinda the same thing. When I started MD again 6 years ago I bought probably the most expensive detector on the market. I hated it and sold it and bought an MXT.

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your replies!

HH,
Ramapirate

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since I only owned High end machines I'm going to put down my own view on things.

First off most machines are as easy or advanced as you make them, at least the digital ones as they often have factory preset programs to help the newbie.

You can adjust them if you want, change settings etc. BUT you don't have to!
It'll not impress on anyone if you say "Hey I can adjust the sensitivity so the machine is falsing!" :tongue3:

Often people have to high expectations on the machines, they seem to think it's a sort of magic wand or something. ;D

A experienced user could do good with most machines. As long as site conditions allow.

A high end machine allows you to "grow with time" into it, it's like a pair of to big shoes for a kid; as he/she grows they might fit sooner or later. :thumbsup:

Also i you should not be happy or you don't enjoy the hobby the high end machines are more easy to get rid off I think?

In the right hands any machine will produce the finds!!

I have a pal who is of the same make as the lad your talking about. I think he's kinda funny as he wants to compete with me... Looses every time. lol ;D ;D ;D

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
I bought my first cheap detector back in the 70's, found a few things of interest, then ran out of good spots to go, and my interest died off for a while. I got another in the 80's, and repeated the process.

I can't remember when I picked up my current detector, but it was whenever Garrett came out with their GTI1500, got on some good spots, started finding some quality items, and now I'm glad that I paid the couple of extra $$ for the features.

My area has 400 years of European occupation, and as such, has 400 years of junk in the ground. It's great being able to punch a couple of buttons, eliminate the targets that you don't want to mess with, and concentrate your efforts on producing items that aren't going to be tossed in the recycle bin.

If I had one of the higher end detectors when I started out, I think it's likely that I wouldn't have had so many gaps, and would have stayed active in the hobby a lot longer. If someone is in a position to get the best equipment they can afford, then more power to 'em, but they have to take the initiative to learn to use those capabilities they paid for.

I've been out with people with great equipment, and some with metal detectors barely better than dragging a magnet with a string. Used properly, the better equipment is generally worth the cost. Used improperly, you might as well just randomly dig holes, and hope you find something.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dcinffxva said:
I bought my first cheap detector back in the 70's, found a few things of interest, then ran out of good spots to go, and my interest died off for a while. I got another in the 80's, and repeated the process.

I can't remember when I picked up my current detector, but it was whenever Garrett came out with their GTI1500, got on some good spots, started finding some quality items, and now I'm glad that I paid the couple of extra $$ for the features.

My area has 400 years of European occupation, and as such, has 400 years of junk in the ground. It's great being able to punch a couple of buttons, eliminate the targets that you don't want to mess with, and concentrate your efforts on producing items that aren't going to be tossed in the recycle bin.

If I had one of the higher end detectors when I started out, I think it's likely that I wouldn't have had so many gaps, and would have stayed active in the hobby a lot longer. If someone is in a position to get the best equipment they can afford, then more power to 'em, but they have to take the initiative to learn to use those capabilities they paid for.

I've been out with people with great equipment, and some with metal detectors barely better than dragging a magnet with a string. Used properly, the better equipment is generally worth the cost. Used improperly, you might as well just randomly dig holes, and hope you find something.

Excellent post!! :thumbsup:

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
The reasoning goes like this - If I have to learn something new why do it twice? All those other guys aren't as sharp as I am - I can learn this as easy as those simple machines. Those other guys are just slow. ;D :D ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
some of the high dollar machines really are not designed with the beginner in mind. sure they have preset programs and such, but it can be tricky to pinpoint with a DD coil, especially if you have never used a detector in your life. also, too many tones can be confusing for a newbie, while they can be extremely useful to an experienced user. you have to learn how to crawl before you can run. I'm not saying this guy wont be able to learn this machine, but he certainly could have taken an easier and better route.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RAM,
Did you get the guys phone #? I have a $600 probe to sell him and a gold embroidered towel too. :tongue3:
-MM-

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't bring myself to bilk the poor little rich kids out of their dough. I had friends like
them growing up, and I swear I could have sold them magic beans. If I could make myself
do it I'd probably make more money as an auctioneer. It's really frowned upon in the biz,
and I'd never do it. We are as highly scrutinized as real estate people, probably more.

HH,
Col. Ramapirate
Licensed Auctioneer
Accept No Substitute!

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Well.I started with with a new Fischer ID Excel,a simple machine to use and a found coins right away,almost all clad but some nice jewelry too.A year later a picked up Whites M6 used for $350 and through better site selection and better unmasking good targets in trash,I starting finding a LOT more silver and older coins.I hunt with an Explorer user all the time and was impressed with results,after 22 months with a M6 ,I picked up a used Explorer XS for $420 and after a lesson from my buddy,I was digging silver from the get go.Bottom line is that if I was using the Explorer as a first machine ,by myself,I would have been lost.Three years of experience and I hunt as much as I can,I had no trouble with an Explorer which can drive some people nuts.I would recommend starting with a simpler machine an Ace ,a F2,a silver UMAX,learn detecting,see if you like it and if you do then move up and you have a backup or a detector to keep in the car.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I bought my garrett scorpion fifteen years ago. I bought it for gold nuggett shooting and used it for treasure almost as much for gold. I'm very satisfied with my purchase and would go for the (nameless brand $$$$$$$$) that we won't mention.
Have I made great finds, You betcha sweet --- (oopppsss sorry).

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
the obvious is being overlooked. the man in the first story probably bought the top machine for the simple reason PRESTIGE. he wanted to be noticed.transform this to cars,and it will make sense. how many millions of people rev the engine,squeal the tires,or use loud performance mufflers to try and get noticed? does it help them arrive at their destination any better.at least with the pricey detector there is some hope of benefit for dollars paid if the guy sticks with it and finally learn the machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread