Lets try a survey on the cheap H F pinpointer

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I been using mine for about 5months now. I think its a bargin for 14.99, still has the original battery in it. Love that LED on it when its starting to get dark and I don't want to quit. I've never owned one of the high dollar units so I can't compare, but it does all I need it to do. Max detect distance is 1 1/2- 2"

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using mine that I bought at Harbor Freight and I like it fine. I showed it around to some folks at a competition hunt over the weekend and they played with it and though many already have good pinpointers, they said they were impressed by mine and would consider buying one as a backup. It's hard to go very wrong for $15.

HH,
Ramapirate

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
I've had mine for the last couple of months and have been very pleased with it.

Old_Okie

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe hand held pinpointers might be a scam......

The "HF" does just fine, I'm on my second, lost the other one.....depth 1-2.5 inches is all I ask for.....and it delivers.....heard heat/moisture might make it freak out.....I have used my buddies vibra-probe.....if the cost were lower I would buy a vibra-probe, but it has no LED!

good-yes-yes....

go get one......now!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,Yes,Yes. Mine works fine. The adjustment allows me to get a range on a dime of almost touching to about 2 inches. This may help when I don,t pinpoint well with my detector as may happen when I get a coin on edge or one near another target. The HF pinpointer is not waterproof as the Whites, Garretts, and others are not. After reading about it, I am planning to modify one of mine. Add a LED and switch so I do not have to use the audio (attracts too much attention). I will add a little silicone around the probe a seals to provide a better moisture seal.

Ed D.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I bought one. :thumbsup: I have a Sunray in-line, but I still use the HF when I'm having trouble with a small target. You can't beat the price, and like any simple device, with a little electronics skill you can modify it to be silent and add a vibrator to it. If I break it or lose it, I can buy another one in my HF store - although the retail price here is $16.95. It hits on the tiniest metal objects, too.

I lost mine in the woods one day. I went back and found it after a full day of rain. I disconnected the battery when I picked it up, took it apart at home, let it dry out, and it still works. The switch contacts are subject to intermittent operation after a while from dirt dust, but a few drops of alcohol worked into the switch cleared that right up. Like I said - for $16.95 I'm not afraid to manhandle it or experiment with it.

I don't buy that some of the pinpointers included as "freebies" are worth the $140+ that some companies claim. I got one of those "free" ones with one of my detectors. It's so long that for me it's a pain to carry around. It stays in my garage as a rarely-used backup. The HF is compact. :)

Yes I'd buy another, and yes I'd recommend them. :wink:

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are they available online anywhere? We don't have a HF near here.

GT

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Can't complain at all. Had it at the beach, park, and woods. No problems at this time. $16.95. It does just as well as a $75.00 one. Well worth the money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread