Ace 250 for a beginner?

ftwhite03

Oct 15, 2008
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all, I am new to this forum and mostly new to metal detecting. I was thinking about getting a Ace 250 to start off with as I keep hearing good things about them. (Only looking to spend around $200ish.) Would this be the best one to get or are there better ones around that are similarly priced? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like mine and it was easy to learn. What other options are in that price range? Maybe a
Tesoro UMax Silver for a little more. How much is a Fisher 1236-X2? I like my Ace 250,
what say the rest of you? It's a personal thing, but the people that have them really like
them. Good luck with your quest!

HH,
Ramapirate

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I like the Ace250, but I like the Tesoro Silver uMax better. However the Ace250 seems like it's more sensitive on smaller items. Then again the Silver will pick up good targets closer to rejected targets. Given my choice I would rather have the Silver uMax.

I have been in the same boat as you. I thought I could ask what machine to get and it would make it an easy choice. There is no easy choice. In fact it makes it worse. I was thinking why don't they just tell me what machine I need. Basically you have to pick out the machine yourself. Nobody can really tell you what to get because everyone likes different things. Being a newbie you don't know what you like yet. Whatever machine you get spend lots of time with it. This is the biggest key to it all.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SwampHunter said:
I like the Ace250, but I like the Tesoro Silver uMax better. However the Ace250 seems like it's more sensitive on smaller items. Then again the Silver will pick up good targets closer to rejected targets. Given my choice I would rather have the Silver uMax.

I have been in the same boat as you. I thought I could ask what machine to get and it would make it an easy choice. There is no easy choice. In fact it makes it worse. I was thinking why don't they just tell me what machine I need. Basically you have to pick out the machine yourself. Nobody can really tell you what to get because everyone likes different things. Being a newbie you don't know what you like yet. Whatever machine you get spend lots of time with it. This is the biggest key to it all.

Not much else to say.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used both and I still have the Ace...A lot like the UMax but it wasn't for me. Oh, they have a lifetime warranty..hmmm...seems I didn't need it..

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know as you all do, this should not be such a hard decision. But the thing is, no matter what you buy unless you buy every detector there is, you always wonder "what if?" The detectors aren't that expensive, but just expensive enough that you can't buy them all (most of us can't anyway). And I'm sure all of us wonder at least sometime, what am I leaving in the ground by the choice that I made.

Commit, buy a detector, learn to use it. It's a personal decision. We can give you pointers, but it's
up to you.

HH,
Ramapirate

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I have an ACE 250 and personally know about 6 people who use them. No one is disappointed at what they find. Great machine for beginners. Pinpointing can take some practice but you will begin to feel like it is a part of you after awhile.

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a ACE 250 (my third one) and also have a Tesoro Silver uMax. I use the ACE in the park tot lots. I does take some practice to pinpoint accurately. I don't use the Silver much anymore, but it is very light weight and pinpointing is great. I just prefer the visual target ID and the different tones of the ACE.

OP
OP
ftwhite03

ftwhite03

Oct 15, 2008
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I think I am leaning towards the Ace 250.

Mutt

Nov 18, 2005
Roceda, in your reply
"I have a ACE 250 (my third one) and also have a Tesoro Silver uMax. I use the ACE in the park tot lots. I does take some practice to pinpoint accurately. I don't use the Silver much anymore, but it is very light weight and pinpointing is great. I just prefer the visual target ID and the different tones of the ACE."

Are you saying that the 250 gives off a totally different ring tone for each of the items?

I have been using a Garrett GTX500 for about 12 years.It gives off the same sound for everything. I keep reading about different brands of newer detectors, and the mentioning of completely different tones for penny,nicel,dime,quater,half,tab,cap,iron,etc. Even read about one 5 or 6 years ago that actually had a "voice" and told ya"you have located a dime, 6" deep.

I looked at the description of the Ace 250 on Garrett's website. If I didn't know any better, I would swear that it was a GTX500 in a different housing. I have also read about some of the MUCH higher dollar ones having a "number" for each item, but I have yet to find what any of these numbers are????

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Mutt, the Ace 250 has three tones-low, for iron/foil, midtone, for nickel/pulltab, and high or "coin" tone for the upper range

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And once you've heard silver on an Ace 250, it's unmistakeable. Do the other owners of Ace 250's know what I'm talking about? The "PING!" tone. I got the hang of really hearing it on a seeded hunt 3 weeks ago. I haven't found a ton of silver, just some mercs and a Rosey or two. But on the seeded hunt, the "PING!" was loud and clear. It's a sustained loud ping that fades off at the end.

HH,
Ramapirate

Mutt

Nov 18, 2005
Ok, I think I understandMaybe I'll do a youtube search and see if someone explains it with a video so I can actually hear the sounds. But after asking this question, I did some more reading and I started looking at the Garrett GTP 1350. It says on the website, that it has a "audible belltone ring" for coins also. I assume that this is the same thing as the 250? But what I have been having problems with is "ghost signals" with my GTA500. I'll get a good loud tone, and it says 1" deep. So I get out the plug cutter, cut down about 2" and nothing.Then I keep digging to 6" and still nothing. Fill in the hole and start looking some where else. That has been a common thing here lately. I did finally learn when I get a signal, how to tell if it's a large item like a smashed can,lid,etc or not, so as not to dig while coin shooting. If I swing the coil over the beep, then move forward a inch or 3 and backwards a inch or 3 and it keeps beeping, I don't dig it. But looking at the 1350, I see if also has the small, medium and large visual target identifier on the LCD screen. Can someone that has one of these 1350's clue mein on this aspect? Garrett Factory is less than a hour away from me.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
the ace 250 is probably the best in that price range. the important thing, is learn everything you possibly can from your machine as possible before you upgrade to one with more bells and whistles

Mutt

Nov 18, 2005
I've been using my GTA500 for 12 years. I am sorta thinking that a more modern detector would be a better choice.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
most machines now are more user friendly, more turn on and go style.
probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade

OP
OP
ftwhite03

ftwhite03

Oct 15, 2008
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks so much for the advice guys. I'm getting pretty excited about getting it now.

trixster

Nov 4, 2007
Mount Savage Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have a pair ACE 250's for me and the wife ( or a friend if she doesn't go ) I find alot of clad with them but it seems I also get alot of "false signals " or maybe I just give up digging for them too soon but after 3 shoulder surgeries ( so far ) I cannot dig like I used too , but thats a whole other story as for the ACE 250 I think it makes a great starter detector because it is very easy to learn and reasonably priced . Have fun HH. John

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a lot of folks say it is a good "starter" machine. Like most people, I too am always looking for the ultimate detector. The more I look and the more I read, I have come to the conclusion that I have all the machines I need. I figured I would take a gander at what I found with the ace 250 and it was more than I thought. Paid for it in about 9 months in clad and then saw all the silver I have found with it. So, I think I will stay with what I have now and just read about how some of those other machines find coins at 20 plus inches.......

OP
OP
ftwhite03

ftwhite03

Oct 15, 2008
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How does it fare with relic hunting? I figure I will using it most on old homesites a CW site that I have in mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread