FL brass cannon found full of jewels

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
I got a catalog from Kellycodetectors in the mail the other day. In an ad for ground penetrating radar they very briefly discussed a tantalizing find made in Florida back in March. It consisted of a brass cannon full of jewels and precious stones next to which was a jade statue when it was unearthed.
Anyway, I've been trying to scour the internet for the full story because it's so intriguing! Additionally, I want to find out the general area in FL where it was found b/c of a couple of sites I've researched and visited with much less to show for it. :-\
Has anybody else heard or read about this story either online, in a treasure magazine, on this site etc. etc.??? PLEASE advise, thanks!
HH
-spyguy

treasurequest

Oct 26, 2008
Hi, I am familiar with this find, and was involved. All I can disclose is that it was found on The West Coast Of Florida In Pinellas County. We also Found some Old Crown English Pistols at the site They were marked Tower VR with the English Crown stamped on them. They were found loaded ready to fire with a ball in the Barrel. There were more than one cannon found also. The cannons were no big huge cannons, but smaller cannons that could be carried by 2 people. I am providing this info to help settle alot of curiosity. The site was found by a combination of research, dowsing, OKM I-160, a Proton Land / Sea Magnetometer, Garrett 2 box Blood Hound on a CX3 master Hunter Detector, and further more a Pulse Induction Detector w 40x40 coil was used to further scan the area deep. The Magnetometer only detects ferrous metals, so we had to employ our other detectors. There is only 2 of us left now. Other partner split to Central America with his share. We also have 4 more sites in Pinellas County that are promising. Might be Interested in finding another Treasure Hunting Buddy/Partner that is adventurous and Trustworthy to help out. If anyone is in the Tampa Bay area and is not afraid of going through slightly dense Florida Jungle and is in good health in decent physical shape. I have many pictures but am skeptical on whether to post them or not. We dowse fairly well and that gets us in the general area, then we use our other equipment to pinpoint and verify.. If anyone wishes to respond privately for any other private details, feel free to do so. Frankly I was suprised that out find made it to this forum. We only showed and informed about 3 people and emailed one of our equipment suppliers some photos of our find. Best of luck to everyone there is much more out there if you look!

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A story like that sells a lot of detectors and equipment. I'm not surprised at all.
I'd love to find something that I'd have to keep quiet about. Usually my finds
are pretty meager.
I still love the hunt though!

HH,
Ramapirate

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurequest said:
Hi, I am familiar with this find, and was involved. All I can disclose is that it was found on The West Coast Of Florida In Pinellas County. We also Found some Old Crown English Pistols at the site They were marked Tower VR with the English Crown stamped on them. They were found loaded ready to fire with a ball in the Barrel. There were more than one cannon found also. The cannons were no big huge cannons, but smaller cannons that could be carried by 2 people. I am providing this info to help settle alot of curiosity. The site was found by a combination of research, dowsing, OKM I-160, a Proton Land / Sea Magnetometer, Garrett 2 box Blood Hound on a CX3 master Hunter Detector, and further more a Pulse Induction Detector w 40x40 coil was used to further scan the area deep. The Magnetometer only detects ferrous metals, so we had to employ our other detectors. There is only 2 of us left now. Other partner split to Central America with his share. We also have 4 more sites in Pinellas County that are promising. Might be Interested in finding another Treasure Hunting Buddy/Partner that is adventurous and Trustworthy to help out. If anyone is in the Tampa Bay area and is not afraid of going through slightly dense Florida Jungle and is in good health in decent physical shape. I have many pictures but am skeptical on whether to post them or not. We dowse fairly well and that gets us in the general area, then we use our other equipment to pinpoint and verify.. If anyone wishes to respond privately for any other private details, feel free to do so. Frankly I was suprised that out find made it to this forum. We only showed and informed about 3 people and emailed one of our equipment suppliers some photos of our find. Best of luck to everyone there is much more out there if you look!

How many thousands of dollars in equipment were used?

Looking for a partner?

Sorry, but this sounds like Flounder. Or maybe Trout.

-Buckles

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great story. Wish I lived in FL. Here in Texas I just get chased by bees, hogs, and rattlers so a jungle might be refreshing. :wink:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, somebody blabbed! You'd better hit the South American jungles with your partner before the IRS, The State of Florida and who knows who else comes after you. There re drawbacks to finding treasure it seems. M ::) nty

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I find this hard to believe, not the cannon part in the news, but the story told by someone above of finding it. First off the state could track you down easy enough thru your internet confession, so I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to spill the beans and stay in the US.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
JohninCT said:
I find this hard to believe, not the cannon part in the news, but the story told by someone above of finding it. First off the state could track you down easy enough thru your internet confession, so I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to spill the beans and stay in the US.
]

Unless caught in the act retrieving items such as this on state or federal land, there's not much the government could do. It's quite possible that they found the stuff on private property with permission, in which case they can give the government an old fashioned finger wave.

Pcola

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
PcolaBoy said:
And then you have the next step right there, the state trying to find out if it was private land or not. Then you have the IRS no matter what. Does Florida have an antiquites act, which states items on private land deemed archaeological antiques are state property? Some states do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions