My XLT lied to me all day

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
Had a little time to get out today. So I decided to try a different school yard in the area.
I parked the truck, got out the Md., and no sooner got it turned on I got a solid signal -
20 foil. Move about a foot another 20, little more another 20 and right next to it a good
72 zinc signal. Well only 5 minutes into the hunt I figured a zinc is at least a start for the
day. Flipped the switch for the sunray zeroed in on the target and popped out the
supposed zinc. The first little fib zinc was a dime. Well I figured while I was down on
the knee the foil target was right there. I wanted to see what kind of trash I would have
to deal with. Lie # 2 foil turned out to be a nickel. So I went back and dug up the other
two fibs both were nickels. Needless to say all day I dug foil and zinc pennies.
I spent about 2 1/2 hrs today and only covered an area about 15' by 30' total take,
17 pieces of foil-- nickels, 20 zinc ---dimes, and only one true reading on a single penny.
I am heading back again tomorrow for more tall tales.

Having fun - digging trash
Joe

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
hi mtntrekr2
im curious were you at the grade school about 2 miles west of you on the hill ? ?
i was there about 9 - 10 yrs ago in the back area all i got was trash readings and i
did'nt stay long hey, trash - nickels add up and they could've been rings some on
here say.......dig it all if you want the gold nickels on my XLT read 19 - 20 - 21
and i've had many cent readings and pulled out clad dimes a dime is better than
a cent isn't it my advise is dig it all especially in a school yard Good Luck & HH :)

OP
OP
mtntrekr2

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Sounds like you have the right place Mike. I pass it all the time and figured it was probably hunted out as I know of another that lives right there with a detector, but he may be a cherry picker and that would explain why no quarters. but I only hunted a small spot so there may be more elsewhere.
Are you close by. Maybe we can get together sometime. I will be off work til at least February as I am going for wrist surgery in December.
HH
Joe

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a meter for ya.

:P

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
mtntrekr2 said:
Sounds like you have the right place Mike. I pass it all the time and figured it was probably hunted out as I know of another that lives right there with a detector, but he may be a cherry picker and that would explain why no quarters. but I only hunted a small spot so there may be more elsewhere.
Are you close by. Maybe we can get together sometime. I will be off work til at least February as I am going for wrist surgery in December.
HH
Joe
it's a small world isn't it lol you thought that place was "hunted out" but, you gave it a try anyway
i'm sure that place has been pounded since the eary 70's and there is still some good finds waiting for
someone to dig em up especially if they cherry picked > did you search the park yet ? i thought the
same thing too well, just this year i pulled out a 50D rosie and a 36 buffalo from there and i'm sure
there is more waiting for someone like you to find it > dig those iffy signals <
yes, i am close to you i thought i'd get to meet you when they had the group hunt at Centralia
sorry to hear you couldn't make it as far as getting together sounds great if we get some nice
60 degree weather before the white stuff arrives i've been working a site as much as i can for as
long as i can this year once the developers start doing what they do if they allow me to keep at it
i'll ask if i can bring others too and come next spring there is a farm "very close" to you that i have
permission to search original house burned down an they buildt the old/newer one over it i'm sure
we coul both search that one it's gonna be trashy though like all the farmhouses i do
bummer on the surgery get that wrist fixed up for March - April good luck to ya Joe

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
XLT will do that if you are low on battery juice..... have settings up too high.. havent balanced correctly.. if the ground is too wet...... or just sometimes you need to blow out the dust in the battery unit space...... invisible dog fences mess with them big time LOL

Some places I have hunted ... the machine just goes nuts.... maybe in 4 or 5 dif yards in the same block or 2... I have no idea why...... somedays I dont feel like I could find boobs in playboy with mine LOL ... keep going out n hunt hunt hunt :)

OP
OP
mtntrekr2

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Had a little time between the rain drops yesterday to get out. I went to a spot where the
pond has been drained down for the winter. I tried changing the settings on the xlt but
still learning the different settings I usually mess things up. So most of the tine I just
use the coin and jewelry program. Well anyhow moving along the water line I did get a
+13 on the vdi and dug up a cheap gold plated wedding band type ring stamped India
inside. A little further on I got a very faint 18 vdi signal after digging down about 8" I
found a nice gold plated cross about the size of a dime. I did find 4 dimes, 2 nickels,
and 14 pennies. I cannot say it is the Md. as much as it is probably me. But whatever or
whichever it is I am not complaining because a find is a find no matter what the meter
or picture show.

It is just telling me that I have to dig those lower numbers more often.

Is there a point on the scale where you know it is iron and not possibly something
better?

Mike as I mentioned before I am off work right now because of my wrist but that is only
one hand. I just swing and dig lefty. If you have a little time duering the week morning,
afternoon, or evening. Maybe we can meet at one of the local parks.

HH
Joe

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
wtg !! on the ring and the cross Joe :)
how bout we meet at the park across the highway near the grade school you
were at it's the only park in town as far as i know there is a Grange Hall aside of it
at the entrance say this Friday 31st at 11:00 or after give me a time i'll be there

OP
OP
mtntrekr2

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Friday sounds good. I was planning on hitting the school there on friday, so I will be
right in the area. Not like I live far away. About 11:00 I'll head over to the park and
whenever you get there. Most likely the other half of the team will be with me.
Catch you there
HH
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions