how to hunt these places??

DONinPA

Nov 8, 2008
Hi Im new to md and relic hunting. I've always done it on vacation at the beach but returning home this year I found I was bitten by the bug. While thinking of places in my area to md I've also been thinking of other places. In my area near pittsburgh I do landscaping, many of the older houses in town have circular brick lined pits 6' to 8' wide and from 10' to 100' deep. Some of the people know of them but most don't and we have found some quite by accident, most likley the were sewage pits for the first houses and not wells but some are very deep. Ok, any ideas on checking out the bottoms ? The one a friend ownes is about 80' deep to the water line and im not ready to be lowered on a rope :) Leave it to me to explore a septic tank. One idea was a magnet for any metal. What I'd realy like is some kind of scoop I could lower. Lifting and lowering are no problem I have the equipment. Thanks for any ideas. Ive been reading this site for several weeks now and enjoying it very much.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to the forum and the hobby.

The places you've described sounds like cisterns not sewage containers. People in the big cities used outhouses just like their country brethren. Do not explore these places alone. Always have a hunt buddy with you. Are you sure that one is 80ft deep? That one sounds like a hand-dug well. Using a good magnet to explore them with is a very good idea. A "fishing" magnet should be in every THer's kit. Some folks do a lot of magnet fishing from boats in lakes; especially if they hear that someone has lost a tackle box, gun, motor, or gun overboard.
Good luck with your project and think "safety first". :thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree if round & Brick lined most likely a Well

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
dont go down on a rope. poison gasses are heavier than air and will collect in the bottom of pits like this. it can be fatal. i would go with the magnet idea. :wink:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Don.....

There are a few of us in your area... :coffee2:

Ditto on the cistern. Most wells I've seen around here are usually smaller holes that wont allow an adult in the opening. I actually had a house with cistern and a well. I didn't use them...but they were there. You might have fit in the cistern...but it would be tight.

Septic systems weren't that deep, nor outhouses.

I like the magnetic fishing idea. Cisterns and wells may be 80 feet down to the water...but how deep is the water? I had a well that went 70 feet and the water was another 30 feet on top of that...not exactly something you want to go into. You wouldn't have fit down that well...but I'm just illustrating water depth.

What part of Pittsburgh you in?

Al

OP
OP
D

DONinPA

Nov 8, 2008
thanks guys. I was just kidding about going down on a rope (not my idea of fun). Let me describe these a little better. Like i said different depths, stacked brick and mortar, tapered at the top (looks like an egg ) a perfect cylinder. From digging new sewer lines to digging for additions I've seen these with 10" terracotta sewer lines from the house, to being used for a run off holding tank some have water in and some don't. They are impressive to see knowing that when they were built someone had to go down there. They are dangerous mostly because over time they have been covered over and people dont know about them. I've been checking on making an electro magnet with an extention cord, copper wire and a power source, just to give the magnet a boost. Its just that i have easy access to the large one since I know the person and I wont be rushed. My other idea was a sewer pumping truck but i dont think it would reach the bottom,smaller ones I might try this. Al im in Sewickley hills, I've read you hunt north park. Where are you at in the burgh??

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything magnetic that was submerged in water for years and years won't be of much value. And you may find there is nothing in them as they were considered a source of water and were likely kept covered and clean.

I wouldn't go investing time and money in an electro magnet rig to start off with. I'd just go to something like Harbor Freight and get a big magnet with an eyebolt on it. You can get an rather inexpensive magnet that will lift a lot of weight. Tie a rope to it and lower it down to the bottom and drag it around as best you can. See what you get. If the test shows there is something more interesting in the holes then worry about a bigger rig. And remember that magnet won't find bottles, or coins, just scrap iron.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi again Don,

I used to live in Economy boro. I moved to Natrona this year. I lived in areas all over the burg. Metal detected around a lot too.
I detected Legionville, where they had a temporary hospital for the troops during the civil war along Rt.65.
I found a buckle...not civil war, :(...but I gave it a shot. There was some digging activity going on there when I was there...some sort of archeology thing, so I didnt stay long.

I'm hoping to hit an old train station before the weather gets really bad. Found it on an old map, along with a bandstand in the same field/park.

I've been more focused on this area now that I've moved but still like hitting out of the way places. Have detector, will travel. :thumbsup:

Lots of places around you too...if you just look. Try Old Economy county park off Rt.989. That big circular field at the entrance was right across from my house....I lived in the park for 11 years and never detected it. Well, I tried once with my old 3000 but it just wouldnt ground balance.
But...they have the world famous "Snowshovel Race" every year there. Been doing it since the mid 50's. They put burn barrels at the top of the slope, near the monument, then race down the hill on shovels. Funnier than crap to watch.
Without a doubt, a lot of people roll off their shovels and roll down the hill......probably a good bit of change going down that slope. Maybe some jewelry from people taking gloves off, etc.

Funny thing...I actually had someone stop by my house and ask to detect my back yard. It used to be part of a hay field. I never saw them in the yard...guess they chose one of the shelters...which by the way, I did detect and there is a ton of aluminum foil there.

Let me know if you'd like to hook up sometime. Lots of good relic places right under our noses here.

Al

mrjosh

Aug 1, 2008
Paducah, Kentucky & Hendersonville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Prizm III.
bullseye pinpointer
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The church that i work for was in the process of adding a new parking lot in a grassy area that was nextdoor. When they discovered a old cistern with a well next to it. The top opening had a diameter of probally 15'. A church member who is a fire department historian did some reseach and discovered that it was built for the fire department in the mid 1800s. It was estimated to be in excess of 30,000 gals. I took several loads of gravel to fill it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread