Tips on metel detecting in the woods

CoinFinder52

Oct 5, 2008
i have been metal detecting in the woods once a week. But i have been not that lucky i came back over and over because i found 1880's indian head penny and a 1812 austrian penny. i came back to the site a half a year later looking for more coins. i explored more area to search i got intrested is that there was a mount of dirt what was perfectly strait going through the middle of the woods and then a trail what looked like a old wagon trail. i tried and tried until i found two 6 inch iron pikes or nails 12 inches deep on the trail. do you think theres still coins waiting to be found? Any tips were should i hunt within my site? If you want to see pictures of the sites just tell me. i will post pictures the next time i go out about next weekend, i will take pictures of the mounts or property lines wagon trails ans the woods surrounding it.
Thanks,
All tips would be help full

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Sounds like you need to first research the area in the nearest library/historical society to see what was there in days gone by.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all woods will hold coins or anything unless people have been there. Not all woods were woods back in time either an that is where the research comes in. Look for old maps, changes in the landscape. Mostly low areas were filled in and stuff is very deep. No matter where you search, over lap as the coils field is only about 2 inches round at it's extreme depth. This is how the guy walking behind you found the coin, not that your detector couldn't see it, your coil wasn't over it.

OP
OP
C

CoinFinder52

Oct 5, 2008
i have researched it, there was 4 houses on the map and i figured out were i was hunting, there's holes in the ground what might be a cellar hole.

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mound of dirt you refer to sounds like it good be an old railroad line/spur or it could have been built up as a road to get timber out of the woods. I know Ive run up on things like this when I use to hunt. Just a thought. Maybe it was once a sawmill in that area. If house were there, then people were there.
Good luck,
John

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
back your discrimination off to detect small iron and locate the house sites. There should be nails where they were located. Once you have found the homesites, if they are not to littered with nails, you can start increasing your discrimination to ignore small iron. If the houses burned, nails will be plentiful and that will test you patience. Too much discrimination with all those nails may cause a masking effect. Look for fireplace grates, cookstove doors and lids, bed frames, etc., to help identify the layout of the house. Harness pieces, plow parts, etc. usually indicate a barn or shed. And don't forget the garbage dump. Here you will find lots of rusty tin cans, but also some old, possibly valuable, bottles.

Sep 7, 2008
Found a great site in the woods last week, also found poison ivy , got a little itchy , watch for that, I also wore plenty of orange, as hunting season has begun, try not to wear too much tan , as you may look like a deer. I know it's common sense stuff but, .....good luck , Ron

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I have great luck in some wooded areas. I use a 5" coil so that I can around the tight areas.
The woods behind our old fairgrounds, around a Farmers' Union hall have produced very well in old coins, bottles and relics this year. I find many times things are not nearly as deep in woods as they are in fields from the same time period. I also find that most mders stick to fields, which means large silver can still be found more often in the woods.

Good Luck,
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread