Help me. A writer, writing a novel entiled: The Treasure Hunters.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Cluster

cluster.jpg

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
R

Roy

Nov 22, 2008
Thanks for the picture. What do you suppose is holding those coins together? And how much do you estimate that cluster is worth?

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_study: Put your note pad in your pocket, get a MD and go out into the lifestyle you are trying to write about. Writing about something you don't know about is going to be picked apart by the people you are trying to get to read your book. It has been said that a writer should write about what you know. ? I write about Cruising and living aboard boats as We travel. That's what I know. I know other things and eventually will get around to writing about those subjects. But I would have to do a lot of research to write about something I have never done. Like "Panning for gold in California". Like you, I would not even know the sensible questions to pose to those that do these things.
Just a thought :coffee2:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
depending upon where your basing your "find" at a number of things could be holding the coins together mainly differanat forms of mineral deposits from various areas --differant areas have differant minerals --concreation is a general term for things (like coins) stuck together in a mass by minerals -- say 50 to 100 coins in a lump -- as far as value theres the raw gold value at minimum (less) the there is the rare coin collector value (which can be much much more) and can be quite differant -- esp if the coins are rare ones and in good shape --gold if is of high karat (gold content ) % wize does not corrode thats one of the reasons its so valuible.hope this helps some. --- Ivan

OP
OP
R

Roy

Nov 22, 2008
White Feather,
Good general advice. But some writers do write about things they must research. If you read my manuscript you'd swear it was about sucba diving off Key West Florida, something I do know a little bit about, and I know some treasure hunters. I've partied with them. Guess I should have asked more questions, huh?
Roy King
PS if you count the coins in the cluster posted by Shermanville, assuming it's about three or four coins deep, it could be worth thousands, couldn't it, Ivan?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
that cluster if gold coins would be worth thousands just because of golds raw value -- at say $700 per troy oz it does not take too much to be worth 10,000 bucks --- 15 oz at $700 per is $10,500 ---- a kilo sized clump at 2.2 pounds (35.2 oz x $700 -- oh about $ 24,640 just for the gold weight -- of course the coins once cleaned often go for 5 times that or even more if in good shape or a rare type coin --so between $25,000 to $100,000 would not be too far fetched in my veiw at all ) --- Ivan

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected, Roy. I probubly mis-stated what I was trying to get across. I do realize that a good book or story does need research. I mean no dis-respect nor would I presume to tell someone how to investigate his/her information. Maybe my mind is out on the water when it should be here with me. Bummer!Let us now when you get this book ready. I will be amoung the first printings mailing list. I have many treasure hunting and diving books and would like to add yours to my library of books. :coffee2: :icon_study:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread