Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt know where to post this and this is a general type forum so I thought why not here, if I messed up please forgive me.
I want a digital camera with decent zoom and can take good close ups. I dont mind spending around 200 bucks and could spend more but a new metal detector is in my future and I have to keep my priorities in check,Im sure you understand.
Hoping you guys can give me a good brand name with the features I would want,memory card and all that kinda stuff. I also wanna be able to download to my computer, and need to be able to resize so I can make a few post now and then.
Thanks for your help in advance,
John

trash n cash

Oct 14, 2007
Algonquin IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac / Garrett pro pointer
Canon, "Power shot" cameras. 10 megapixel going for 170.00$ at Best Buy.
Great "plug and play" software and 3x optical zoom. Small almost pocket sized.
If you get into pictures and want to expand into video then you can stay with Canon.
Videos are great for these websites. I watch them to learn tips and with the sound you can
hear what the detector sounded like over the target. ( plug and play software ) is you download the included
software into your computer then just plug the camera
into the computer and it will activate the camera software
to prompt you to download the pictures you took. Also
usually has some sort of photo shop included to fix red
eye etc:

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a consumer reports camera review if you want to check it out. I wish I could help you with some advice but I sometimes take a dozen macro shots before I can get a good closeups pic. I've seen some awesome closeups on here so there's better cameras than I've got and better photographers here than me. Good luck on your search.

DANGLANGLEY

http://www.online.consumerreports.o...OELECG&HBX_OU=50&HBX_PK=digital_camera_review

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would go to Best Buy or another store that sells digital cameras and ask them to demo a few cameras. There are plenty of things to take close ups of there at the store.

Also, be reminded that zoom and close up aren't necessarily the same. If you are wanting great close ups, then you'll want a camera that has Macro (Flower Symbol on most camers) which most cameras do. I know some Fuji's have what is called Super Macro which extends the cameras ability to take a more close up shot.

I would simply demo the cameras and then pick out which one best suites you.

Also- If you want 'professional' looking shots, you'll need something of a tripod which you can pick these up fairly cheap or fairly expensive, however many features you want.

But basically, if you are taking close up shots, you want the camera stable, not shaking with every breath you take as you hold it in your hands. The tripod will stabilize the camera so that the images aren't blurry.

-Ian
www.researchandrecoveryshow.com

Lash

Nov 3, 2008
S. California
I agree with the above post. Canon PowerShot. I've bought two in the past year for my daughter and myself. Quite sophisticated little camera, especially for the price.

OP
OP
G

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help!!!!! I bought a Cannon 470 Powershot. Good for the beginner and easy on the pocketbook. Nice, Itll fit in my shirt pocket.
HH
John

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a fuji Fine Pix which I think is pretty nice. It takes nice macro images. It does NOT take movies with sound though. I've had the camera 2 years and never needed the movie feature, but I recently bought a new phone with Verizon that has a camcorder and 3 megapixel camera. Takes pretty darn good pics...quite sophisticated for a phone.....and it definately fits in your pocket. Great to take along detecting....get a phone call...take a pic. :tard:

Wonder what Alexander Grahm Bell is thinking right now...

Guess it's going to boil down to personal preference for you, what you want it to do.

Al

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hold a good 7 power B & L magnifier in front of the lens for my closeups. Really does the trick but, a little clumsy.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
deepskyal said:
I got a fuji Fine Pix which I think is pretty nice. It takes nice macro images. It does NOT take movies with sound though. I've had the camera 2 years and never needed the movie feature, but I recently bought a new phone with Verizon that has a camcorder and 3 megapixel camera. Takes pretty darn good pics...quite sophisticated for a phone.....and it definately fits in your pocket. Great to take along detecting....get a phone call...take a pic. :tard:

Wonder what Alexander Grahm Bell is thinking right now...

Guess it's going to boil down to personal preference for you, what you want it to do.

Al

I agree that Canon is your best bet. Not to dispute deepskyal, but I went through two Fuji Cameras in 2 years. Both times the zoom failed.

Just my opinion!
Neil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread