Georgia Metal Detecting

Nov 14, 2008
Puyallup WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5
OK Juju got me hooked and well we hit up all the school and parks. Now I want more. I see all these old homes in building were I am out here in the Lincoln,Richmond,Columbia,Wilkes county area. Any one that has been in the south knows the ones they look about to fall in on themselves and has the old sheet metal roofs. Does anyone know how we can get permission to hunt these places? Or does anyone currently have permission and would like to link up to go hunting?

Benny the Slaw Master

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can see if you can hook up with a local club. Check the records dept for the tax records to learn the owners of the sites your interested in searching to contact them in person for asking permission. Bib overalls are an option that might get you a better reception. Hey, I have relatives in Rome, GA. and understand the lingual, though they don't understand me.

First time I visited them all I could think about was the movie Deliverance. :D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
"Does anyone know how we can get permission to hunt these places?"

Walk up and ask? :o

OP
OP
B
Nov 14, 2008
Puyallup WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5
Tom guess you have never been to the south we would walk up and ask but most of these old homes some going back to pre-civil war haven't been lived in for several years. Most are falling in on themselves do to time. To the point they no longer even have address's so you have to figure out the actually land plot and then who is paying the property taxes on it.

Benny

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Hi Benny. I'm in Thomas county Ga. It's a little ways away, but I'd welcome good company anyday.

On old places like that, I ask nearby neighbors. They usually can tell you a name, and you can go from there to find the owner's name. A lot of the time it winds up being someone who bought the place as an investment, or inherited it, and they live in Atlanta, or New York, someplace other than here...

Bib overalls?? Even here, that's extreme. Sounds like the stereotype hollywood image that is so incorrect it's hilarious. I reckon I could sit on the bench in front of walmart all day cleanin' the mud out from under my toenails with my pocketknife and never see someone in bib overalls. ::)

Heck, we're the one's who invented the toothbrush! If it were invented anywhere else, it would have been called the teethbrush.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just gotta ask. If you are out in the country, it helps if you are Southern, and have the famous drawl thet the folks from up North have such a difficult time understanding. My partner and I knocked on doors Thanksgiving day and were able to hunt 4 old homesites, one of which was an old plantation home. I have been rewarded with great tips from old timers all over the state by just engaging them in conversation. Y'all have a bodaceous good time, and mosey on back when you can!

OP
OP
B
Nov 14, 2008
Puyallup WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5
Ya I am starting to get some tips on who to go talk to. I will be here for awhie me and my family just moved here we have lived in Georgia before so that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread