125 year old chuch in the middle of nowwhere maybe a hotspot

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
I'm new to this MD, I will soon be getting a metal detector within the next few days. I would like to hear from others about their experiences. One of the first place in mind I had I would like to go is a church it's pretty much on the back roads and pretty much sits vacant thru out the year. Here's what I know about the church. It only has 1 service a year which about 200-300 people show up for a homecoming. I know this because I go there just bout ever year since the 70's. From what I know this is been going on since the 50's. The church was first built in 1883 was burnt down sometime around the 50's and rebuilt in the 50's. There still an old outhouse that is still up there, a little stream of water that runs behind it that kids play in. They will be all in the creek looking for crawfish and that happens each and every year. I remembered back in the 70's doing the same thing. Kids will be running thru the wooded area around the creek. Lot's of activity for just 1 day out of the year but other than that the church sits vacant the other 364 days out of the year. I'm not really sure bout the early days of this church but it has been around 125 years and maybe never been hit with a metal detector in it's history. It would be interesting to see if I can get permission to MD the property. I went out there today just to look around and take some pics i was there for bout 20 minutes and not even 1 car passed by on the road. That is how much away from town this place is. I post some pics of this place. Anyone had such luck in old churches? It be the first place i hit if i can get the green light.

Attachments

• 1206081618.jpg
    1206081618.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 519
  • 1206081619.jpg
    1206081619.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 510

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some thoughts:

1. Get Permission

2. Many old churches have been hunted before

3. Are you sure it was rebuilt in the exact same spot?

4. Done any research to find a picnic grove or adjoining grounds--or seen what the church owned in terms of property on the old property maps?

5. You don't know 'till you try. :)

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any place built in the 1800's is worth detecting so if you get permission,go for it.
My only negative thinking would be that in the 50's during the rebuild there had to have been a clean up of the burned church,so that may be a downfall if they dozed it out.
Another thing probably alot of bottle tops,pulltabs and foil from the gatherings so i would start off with a small loop if you have one.
I would search the woods for the biggest trees to search around,because 300 people isn't going to fit under that Pavillion for shade,so there going to find more peaceful places to cool down.

Nova Treasure

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had very good luck detecting old church yards. Work the parking lot as that is proably gravel. Yes check out the woods area. I also have had very good luck working where old school houses was. Working the fields and wooded lots by where the school was. As the kids would play inside the woods. Have found plenty of Indians in the woods.Go for it never know till you try.Good luck. Matt

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get the necessary permission, you'll have an enjoyable time. . . it's VERY rare
that any site is ever hunted out :wink:. Be sure not to overlook the surrounding "fringe" wooded
areas. . . 125-years ago, these areas may not have been woods at all. You should have a great time & best of luck!

watercolor

P.S. Welcome to TNet!

OP
OP
Jimmy@romega

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
I found out more info about the church good news I got the green light. It's not really not owned by anybody but a committee of people. My uncle was on the committee and said go for it. My mom told me a group of people was traveling by wagontrain headed to texas but instead they setteled out there. i'm headin out there tomorrow (sat) if i find something great I will leave a post in today's finds. This is actually my first official MD hunt besides parks but that was just for practice.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best Wishes to you on your quest.

:thumbsup:

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR ENDEVER, BE SAFE, FILL HOLES, HAVE A GOOD TIME..

M L HUDSON :thumbsup:

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt the church was always in the middle of nowhere. At one time there would have been a community nearby. It could have been a farming community or maybe a mining community. But for whatever reasons, the people moved on. Old homesites nearby are a likely possibility. Research the area thoroughly.

check under any large trees,near the outhouse, parking areas.

Is there a cemetery?

Was there a store or commissary?

Where did the children attend school?

The register of deeds office can help research property ownership.

In my area old mining and logging camps are everywhere. All are privately owned now and most, except the most remote, have modern homes built on them. If you have a university near visit their "map library". You can usually find older topo maps of an area and they may show where some buildings were located.

keep us posted..and good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread