Alchemy at its best - Transmutation of silver into gold

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Pulse Star 2, "Cachefinder" LRL, GPL
Early in 1897, the British chemist Stephen H. Emmens, then residing in New York, announced the discovery of a new element which fills the "vacant space existing in the sub-group of Group I", and which he thought to be the intermediate matter from which silver and gold are formed. Dr. Emmens said, “Our claim is that the element in question is therefore neither silver nor gold, but which may, by our new physical methods, be converted into gold.”

Dr. Emmens' Argentaurum Laboratory on Staten Island then produced over 660 ounces of gold from silver and sold it to the U.S. Assay Office. He revealed a few historical and technical details of his transmutation process in his book, Argentaurum Papers #1: Some Remarks Concerning Gravitation:

"Our work, which converts silver into gold, had its origin in the course of certain investigations which I undertook for the purpose of preparing chemically pure nickel... in 1892. In attempting to prepare these pure metals [nickel and iron], a certain product was obtained which seemed to differ from anything recorded in the textbooks. The same product was subsequently found when the investigation was extended to the case of metallic cobalt... The phenomena observed afforded indications of the existence of some substance common to the whole of the elements in what is known as Series 4 of Group 8 of the classification of Chemical Elements... It appeared to us almost self-evident that if we were right in supposing a common substance to be present in any single series of elements, the same would hold good for each group.

And as Group I of the classification contains the precious metals - gold and silver - it was obvious that our time and attention should be directed to these metals rather than to any other....

Our starting point, so far as silver and gold were concerned, was afforded by the remarkable discoveries of Mr. Carey Lea with regard to [colloidal allotropic silver]... It was found that... this subdivision of metallic silver was attended by very considerable changes in the physical properties of the substance... By certain physical methods and by the aid of a certain apparatus, we succeeded in bringing about a further subdivision of the silver. We were not surprised to find that the substance obtained differed so far from ordinary silver that it could no longer be regarded as the same elementary substance. It seemed to require a new name and a new chemical symbol. Inasmuch, therefore, as our theory was that this substance was common to both gold and silver, and in reality was the raw material out of which both gold and silver were constructed by the hand of nature, we named the substance Argentaurum...

The next step was to ascertain whether this substance could be so treated as to be grouped into molecules of greater density than those of silver... We found that... Argentaurum can be aggregated into molecules having a density considerably superior to that of ordinary gold molecules. Whether we are right as to this or not, the condensed Argentaurum presents the appearance and is endowed with the properties of ordinary metallic gold...

We do not consume any chemicals and other costly materials in our process; what we use is mainly energy in some of its various forms, such as heat, electricity, magnetism, gravity, cohesion, chemical affinity, x-rays and the like... Our chief source of expense is the time required for bringing about the desired molecular changes... One ounce of silver will produce three-quarters of an ounce of gold... "

Whatever else transpired, Emmens pocketed the equivalent of $50k in today's money from the US mint. Now, I think I know the full circumstances of this event. Anyone else interested in taking a stab at it?

OP
OP
S

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Pulse Star 2, "Cachefinder" LRL, GPL
Real de Tayopa said:
HI: You cotin pickin right I am interested, post away.

Don Jose de La Mancha

LOL ;D

Emmens, in my original post, references the work of Carey Lea.

In 1889, eight years before Emmens “produced” and sold his transmutated gold to the US mint, Lea discovered that, “ …golden-yellow specks would occasionally show themselves in silver solutions, but could not be obtained at will and the quantity thus appearing was infinitesimal. Probably this phenomenon has often led to a supposition that silver might be transmuted into gold. This yellow product, however, is only an allotropic form of silver, but it has all the color and brilliancy of gold, a fact which was apparent even in the minute specks hitherto obtained... “

Note how Emmens (original post again) references his own work on nickel in 1892 as his inspiration of discovery though.

After playing around with various solutions and processes, Lea also found more ways (yes, plural) to convert whole masses of silver into the appearance of gold. “It is a little curious that its permanency seems to depend entirely on details in the mode of preparation…. but in a few months the specimens preserved changed spontaneously, to normal silver... The normal silver produced in this way is exquisitely beautiful. It has a pure and perfect white color like the finest frosted jewelers' silver, almost in fact exceeding the jeweler's best products.”

Lea then went on to discover one specific method which resulted in. “… a quite permanent result… “

Lea’s findings didn’t exactly make headlines among the scientific community of his day but Emmens took note of it and, as the theory of chemical elements was about to push traditional alchemy out of the realm of science all together, Emmens jumped into the narrow window of opportunity that still existed.

The final step in Emmens’ process was smelting. Rather convenient since no evidence exists except the end product. I’m certain he could not have been passing off gold-colored silver to the US assay office as they professionally graded his ingots anywhere between 30% and 99% pure gold.

Could it be a coincidence that gold jewelry, most easily identified by its orignial owner, has roughly the same range of gold purity? I, for one, suspect that Emmens was nothing more than a fence for stolen jewelry… to the tune of 660 ounces or $50k.

Probably not the first "scientific" scam and certainly not the last.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. Going thru old archives I always see stuff where peoples jewelry was stolen or what not. I would check the cities around him and see how many gold rings went missing around that time.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciated the 9-year bump. Good read.

And btw, I have a recipe for turning strawmen arguments into gold! For sale of course. PM me.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Ancient Alchemists were Turning Lead Into Gold...Why Use Silver?

images (3).jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread