Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I knew the weather was going to change drastically by today, so I went out for what may be the last time yesterday..here near St. Louis it was unseasonably warm but very windy over the weekend. As a matter of fact, it was so windy the wind blew my hat off and the sound made it hard to hear my machine beep without the headphones on.

So first the wind and warm temps, then a cold front with an ice storm (no school for the kids today) and high temps only in the teens!

So my question is..what's the weather like now in your neck of the woods? Are you still able go detecting, or have you been forced to call it quits for the season? This may be it for me this year unless things change.

Nat

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Pulse Star 2, "Cachefinder" LRL, GPL
Hi Nat.

Although our US history starts late (1849) by comparison here in So. Calif., I find the winter a perfect time to visit the desert, especially those spots that require backpacking to a campsite. The days are shorter and the nights can get rather cold in the higher elevations but daytime temps in the 40's and 50's require less water to be carried and a whole lot less sweat on the uphill trip.

I have gone after one particular cache several times over the years and my last trip out I finally got my PI (pulse induction) detector to sing on the highest discrimination setting at two separate locations about 1/8 of a mile apart which fits my lead very well. LRL was working exceptionally well and pinpointed each spot prior to breaking out the PI.

However, like so many undiggable stories, my only shovel popped a rivet digging a level spot for the tent the day before because we ran out of daylight before reaching the designated camp site and had to move a bit of dirt and rocks to achieve even a modicum of comfort. If PI ignores ground mineralization as is claimed, it appears to be the treasure or some other cache of metallic content as I did dig enough (holding the head of my shovel in my bleeding hands - j/k) to hopefully rule out pitchblende/uraninite.

I was supposed to head up there last weekend but my planned partner (wife's cousin) fell of his scaffold at work and pulled a ligament in his ankle so it looks like late Jan. or Feb. now before another trip will be planned.

Even with all of this though, it's hope against hope when it comes to the real deal.

Glenn

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My season was over about 3 weeks ago here in Northern Michigan. We had about 15 inches of snow on the ground until a thaw and refreeze over the weekend, now it's all ice underneath. I give it up earlier than some because I've found that the older I get the more the cold weather bothers me and when I'm not having fun, I just don't do it.

Jim

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our season is probably over for this year. We got out Saturday when it was 60 degrees because we knew the cold was coming. It was 2 degrees this morning when I came to work, and at lunch it was 7 degrees. I doubt we get out of the single digits today.

But you never know what the week will bring.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My weather isn't so much different than yours. I may have 4 or 5 warm spells during the winter if we are lucky and be able to get out and hunt a bit. The ground rarely freezes and with enough warm clothes we can hunt year around. I don't because my hands get so cold I can't feel anything after about an hour. A younger tougher dude could do well here. Monty

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
My weather isn't so much different than yours. I may have 4 or 5 warm spells during the winter if we are lucky and be able to get out and hunt a bit. The ground rarely freezes and with enough warm clothes we can hunt year around. I don't because my hands get so cold I can't feel anything after about an hour. A younger tougher dude could do well here. Monty

Sounds like New Mexico to me. The only time I won't go is if it's blowing. Otherwise it's year round in the, "Land of Enchanment".

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not quite over yet though we are hunting on borrowed time, it could end any minute. :thumbsup:

danny1987

May 1, 2008
Oregon coast range here. For the average person it may be the end of the season, But i am young an crazy. Next week i am going on a hiking trip up into the hills, and yes it well likely be below freezing. But my into the wild urge is just to strong right now.

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
Here in central Florida, it's finally cool enough to turn the A/C off so tonight we have the windows open and enjoying the cool night air. Fortunately we can hunt all year long down here and winter is the best season for hunting as the weather is cooler and the flying, buzzing, biting critters are down to a minimum. We do have one obstacable that makes it hard to hunt though. That's when them hurricanes are blowing through. Have to have a chin stap on our caps then!!!!!! HH all.

FLJunkman

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Natman ! Yeah i think it's safe to say my season is over, I live in Santa Fe , New Mexico,

and we are up near 7,500 elevation . The northern part of the state is being blanketed with

snow as I type this . In fact the snow hasn't stopped since late sunday night or so. If i can

get some money together , I may fly to Arizona for a visit to my parents and I'll pack my

MXT. For now it's a little coin roll hunting, checking the reject tray at the coinstar machines,

and a bit of silver jewelry making - which i do semi-professionally. Merry Christmas !

Argentium.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I've got to admit, I'm a fair weather hunter.

It would take a specific reason to get me out in the mud and cold rain and such.

Pretty much over.
rmptr

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Sounds like jglunt isn't too far from me. Same weather here.
Cold, icy and deeeeeeep!
We have over 18" on the ground, even after the cold rain compressed it.
Last night I finally took the batteries out of the Quattro, and cleaned and packed up all my stuff for the winter.
The only thing I didn't need to clean was my brand new pro coil. It showed up just two days after the snow got too deep to play in.

So, yes Natman, our season in Northern Michigan is definately over.

HH
Mark

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With 15 inches of snow on the ground and minus temps here in Wisconsin. I called it quits first part of December. Cleaning up all my equipment after a very good spring , summer and fall MD'ing. Put the Ace 250
to bed and got out my John Deer snowblower.. LOL Still have one more thing to do, got 2 coffee cans of clad I will take to the bank and see how much it comes to. Looks like enough to pay for the Ace 250 that I got this Spring. Now I will count the days till the snow melts and the ground is not frozen. At 68 the bones get a little sore digging in frozen ground LOL Have a good winter all. I will let you know how much the clad will total up to from the years hunts. Merry Christmas Shane

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
It's cold here, too. We got another four inches of snow today. It's not supposed to get above freezing for the next five days, at least. It's currently 10 degrees - as warm as it has been in the past couple of days. Detecting ended here Thanksgiving weekend, same as last year. Hopefully I can get back out in early March. Until then, I will live vicariously through all the other Tnet posters who live down south or out west.

Stay warm, and HH,

Dr. Ace

thomas_miles25

Jan 25, 2008
Findlay, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Deleon, Tesoro Tejon
Season was over awhile ago here ground has been frozen for about a month and a half!!! Sure wish spring would hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Let me check......................................... Nope. :icon_sunny:

Ray S

Attachments

• Cocoa Beach.jpg
    Cocoa Beach.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 232

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its just getting good down here.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I envy all of you who can detect all year 'round! It's still cold and icy here, with below normal temps. So much for global warming in the midwest ;D

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions