places to take my grandson to treasure hunt?

patsarts

Dec 15, 2008
I better type fast - I'd sent a message and it 'timed out'

so, here's the cliff notes version

i'm visiting my autistic grandson in collierville Tn and want to take him treasure hunting - i bought a mid-level metal detector and we went last march and he loved it - it was one of the few things we've done together that makes him smile. is there a place i can take him someplace near collierville? I know some of the southern states have laws against metal detectors and don't want us to end up in jail for christmas.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
School yards are excellent places to find coins, trinkets and the occasion piece of jewelry. Contact the local school administration office to find out if it's legal.

Have fun!!

DM

OP
OP
P

patsarts

Dec 15, 2008
Thank you for the ideas! We used it in Florida last March on the beach and came up with $1.20 in change near the beach bar volley ball net and a kazillion beer cans. If Florida put deposits on their cans like Michigan we could have both retired!

Seeding might be a good idea just to keep his interest. He was quite into it, but lost interest when we kept just finding beer cans. :thumbsup:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I agree with Diggin Elf - parks (under the slides and swings) would be logical places to start. A little more advanced would be old fairgounds, campgrounds (tent meetings) or race tracks. If there are old abandoned farm or other homes, those can produce some old coins. Don't forget to check any "junker" cars you might see - under the seat cushions (won't need a detector for that, of course).

This is an excellent opportunity to study a little local history, as well. Chances are that in your area was at least a Civil War skermish, an underground railroad station, perhaps a bootlegger or two...Do you have the WPA Guide to Tennessee? Maybe a local publication of the historical society or similar organization?

Please forgive me for stating the obvious: Check local laws for parks and schoolyards - always fill your holes - and get the landowner's permission before starting.

And - perhaps the most important part of all - get out there and do it and have fun!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
P

patsarts

Dec 15, 2008
Wow - thank you! Don't worry about stating the obvious - I'm such a newbie I need the obvious. I've only used the detector a few times. My two older grandson used it when we were on a family picnic and were all excited about a 'find' - all they had was a pocket knife so dug quite a while and discovered the water return pipe for the lake! bummer =[ This is why I want to try a place where they may have success. Cameron (autistic) is 16 and rarely gets excited about doing anything by playing on the computer. He doesn't talk much and I thought this kind of activity would get him outside but not require him to 'chat' with people much.

I keep the detector in my truck all the time, but I don't use it because I feel self conscious for some reason - but I'll do anything for the grandkids and they give me an 'excuse' to treasure hunt (and eat cotton candy and swing on the swings) without feeling silly. =]

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like school playgrounds that have the pea gravel best. It is so easy to dig in and then all you have to do is find the money. I know a kid who has mild autism and he got hooked on detecting. He even built his own detector! He now belongs to a club and goes with his dad. I know that my son would get frustrated if he didn't find "treasure" so last time we went, I hid some pennies. He was just glad to find something! Have fun!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Patsarts:

Karl von Mueller wrote "The Coinshooters Manual" and you can never go wrong in the treasure hunting world starting with KvonM!

This book is still available (try Kellyco, for example - if those good people don't have it send me a PM and I'll find you a copy) and I highly recommend it!

And please do think about tying your local history into his hunts. It can make all the difference on several levels.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread