Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet!

When you find a "Wheat" penny, it's going to be at least 50-years old. . . a reasonable
indicator that there may also be some silver coins (discontinued after 1964) in the area as well.

Good luck & Happy Holidays!
watercolor

S

stefen

Now, if you found a 1943 (Copper) wheat penny, you'd be on your way to retirement...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mayberry , Welcome to T-net ! , Most wheaties aren't worth much but as previously mentioned

they do represent a drop zone that could yield silver. The wheatie also can boast of being an obsolete

American coin, made of copper (unlike the rubbish of the contemporary cent) and it carries a very

dignified portrait of Abraham Lincoln ( For many , myself among them , our greatest president)

I confess to getting a small thrill when I dig a wheatie- not like a merc though ! Argentium.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
MayberryMonte: watercolor and argentium hit the nail on the head: wheaties represent the strata/age-of-loss that tells you that you are deep enough (or in the right area, or whatever) to find silver next, since they circulated at the same time. And silver has some value. And older silver can have numismatic value (there's more early mercs, barbers and seateds that have numismatic value, that pennies. You are right, very few pennies, even IHs, are worth much numismatically).

But your question begs another answer: If you think of it, detecting, from a sherely monentary gain perspective, is nearly hopeless. Sure now and then someone "hits the big one", but basically, we all just hope to pay for our gas & machines, and have fun. I mean, it's like fishing: Do you really think the average fisherman is "saving money" because he can eat the fish, thus save money at the grocery store? Of course not. And think of it: If that fisherman could have two 10 inch bass, or a single 20 inch bass, which do you think he would prefer? Of course he'd rather catch the single 20 inch bass instead (even though the sum total of the two 10" bass total 20" anyhow), simply because the bigger bass is "more wiley" and tough to out-wit and catch. Same for metal detecting: Even though a wheat penny may be worth only .03c, I'd still rather find the one wheat penny, than 10 new pennies, simply because it's harder to find wheaties. Or a single barber dime worth perhaps only $2.00, I'd still rather find that, than 50 new dimes. It's all for sports and challenge sake. Fun to out-hunt your buddies, compete, etc.. And yes, just like Las Vegas, sometimes you do "hit the big one" :)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
To me a "Wheat" penny in this area is a sign that you are in a good spot and that silver MAY be near. It is also not the commonly used coin anymore so finding a coin that is at least 50 years old is cool. A lot of people that cherry pick around here don't bother messing with pennies so a lot of times you may go to a location that has been hunted before and find several wheat pennies. Then sometimes you will go and fing older silver and not one wheat.

I just enjoy finding the wheats. They are a neat design and made of solid copper. I doubt I will ever find a 1909 SVDB around here but I keep at it and I love finding the wheats.

pennyfinderjim

Oct 15, 2008
Greenville,SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE150
:) Well, to me, finding a wheatie means 2 things: 1) it means that you could be in an area where you might also find silver coins since they were in circulation at the same time and 2) it means you have found a piece of history , numismatically speaking and historically speaking. To me, that's kinda neat and special. ;D Tnx for reading. HH and good luck. Jim

OP
OP
MayberryMonte

MayberryMonte

Sep 12, 2008
Soddy Daisy, TN.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'll admit I got a little chill when I discovered I had found one just because it seemed to be a milestone for me in the three months I've been detecting . During this time I've found nearly 2000 coins, no wheats, just clad. I'm a teacher by trade so I hunt mostly playgrounds and tot lots as I learn my 250. I found the wheat at my high school where I teach yesterday, but its only 11 years old so there's very little chance of any other older silver. I understand the comparisons to fishing because that's how I explain it to other people. You never know what you'll catch but its sure fun trying. Thanks guys.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MayberryMonte said:
I'll admit I got a little chill when I discovered I had found one just because it seemed to be a milestone for me in the three months I've been detecting . During this time I've found nearly 2000 coins, no wheats, just clad. I'm a teacher by trade so I hunt mostly playgrounds and tot lots as I learn my 250. I found the wheat at my high school where I teach yesterday, but its only 11 years old so there's very little chance of any other older silver. I understand the comparisons to fishing because that's how I explain it to other people. You never know what you'll catch but its sure fun trying. Thanks guys.

Those of us that have been hunting for some time probably hit that shool a dozen times before you. But your count is great for the short time you've been detecting. Just think....all those coins dropped so recently....how much was dropped for years and years?

Now my question would be...are you sure that school is only 11 years old? What was there before the school? Sometimes it's.."out with the old, in with the new". The grade school I went to is unrecognizable now..the original cornerstone was removed with the 1800's date. The building is big and fancy...but...it was simply built where the small, old one was. The playground was moved, but it still has the same ball field from when I went there.

I'd consider finding a wheatie in such a place a good find, but also keep in mind that every once in a while...you can still get a silver dime in change in the store...and silver was in circulation quite some time after they quit making them. They didn't just stop spending them when they quit making them.

You seem to be doing great and with your counts...it's just a matter of time before you strike silver.

HH,
Al

OP
OP
MayberryMonte

MayberryMonte

Sep 12, 2008
Soddy Daisy, TN.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The school is the high school I teach at. Before it was built, it was nothing but woods. I was only able to hunt for about an hour so I hit the gravels in front of the football bleachers and a smoking area outside the gym figuring that people lose coins as they pull out their lighters. The wheat must have come from someone's pocket.

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
I owned a home that was built in 1990 and when I purchased it in 1993 there was nothing in the yard but weeds. Prior to a subdivision it was a pasture. I had sod put in and around 1996 my wife bought me a metal detector for a birthday gift. The following spring I pulled a 64 rosie out that was about 4" deep. Could have come in with the sod or could have been there for years before the house was built. No telling. You just never know.

On an other note. What kind of high school has a smoking area? :o

OP
OP
MayberryMonte

MayberryMonte

Sep 12, 2008
Soddy Daisy, TN.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
It(the school) doesn't have a "smoking area" for the students. The adults at basketball games go outside to smoke at half-time, you can't stop them. Sets a good example doesn't it.

B

BIG61AL

I have found only about 10 wheaties.....i live in an area that only got bulit up in the 70's, so older coins are rare for me and are always welcome just by being special for me.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zinc pennies suck. They last a few years at best. Wheaties, 1909-1959 are a sign of the days of better coins and history too. I love the wheat penny, but the IH are good too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread