Can a metal detector find hope

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Parkhunter,

In 1982 I went through a very nasty divorce ... lost my business declared bankruptcy,
saw my partner (in business) jailed for fraud etc.

I can tell you what my Grandpa told me...
when you realise you are in a hole you can't get out of...stop diggin.
change your choices in life, look at the big picture, not the short term.
Took me a couple tries to get it right, but have done him proud.

If I go out of business now, it will be of my own choosing.
This place we live in is still the land of opportunity.
We do well, or we don't. It's up to us.

The secret is to NEVER quit. Always keep trying, never lose your sense of humor.
and always keep the details in mind when you finish.
(that is the last part of the cow that goes over the fence... de tail)

If the customer is happy you will be as well.

Keep trying Buddy.
Have a good Christmas.

Email me if you need to talk.

Thom

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi I an sorry to read this, But you are not alone, I lost my Job after working for over 10 years to someone who had no Soul ! my wife was in the Hospital 2 week be for Chirstmas I was Let Go ! and I an still don"t have a Joe. He new a Was a VET. and still Let me Go. all I can say is to bad he was not over in Vietnam he be still there !!!!!!!! coin Finder

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I have been through it all too. ( Actually twice).
I went all the way to the bottom, then things started working out slowly.
The one most important thing that I found out, is to talk to as many people as you can.
Don't just hole up at home and expect someone to come to you and offer something.
Get out where there are people. Talk to everyone, but don't give them a hard luck story. DO NOT TRY TO MAKE PEOPLE FEEL SORRY FOR YOU. They will not want to be around you.
Just talk positive thoughts and show an interest in their ideas. Let them know you are looking for
employment or some way that you can earn some money.
Shoveling snow, mowing a lawn, cleaning out an attic or garage, or what ever talents you may have.
You may have to to some things that you don't really care about but these will all get your foot in the door
for doing other things. Do them a good job and a little extra. Every person that you do something for
has friends and relatives who he or she will recommend you to. Everyone of those will have friends and relatives, and it goes on. This is how I started out in being self-employed. Never once had to advertise.
Word of mouth only. Work hard, be honest and you will be rewarded many times over.

Merry Christmas,
Clayton

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think many of us have been in those dumps before too. You just need to let time cloud over the bad memories and try to find some peace and quiet out in the field or beaches looking for those nice things in the dirt. It isn't really about finding money for free, it is about the excitement of the find. Course I am singing to the Choir.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
It seems like tough times for all but hang in there! WE are all optimists or we wouldn't be in this hobby!! Get out and dig as much as you can....it clears the head if nothing else. I know I always feel good after getting out. Everyone have a Merry Christmas and may be all have a great new year!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From reading the post...we are not alone.

The economy took a downward spiral in the early 80's, and I went with it...lost everything..house, wife, job...

Sometimes history repeats itself...I'm hoping it does. I too am spiriling downwards uncontrollably....hoping recovery isn't too far off...

I made it through it...and I will again.

Just wanted to let you know...you are not alone.

Al

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
While I'm not married, nor do I have kids, I have my own big problems to deal with. I can sense the desperation in the first few posts, the need to get out of that suffocating hole you have found yourselves in, to find something of enough value to help keep you going and get you out of that hole even if just for a while.

I sincerely hope that you guys find the "one big find" that you're seeking. This hobby's not easy and it requires a lot of commitment of time, effort, and heart and soul. Pull tab after pull tab, and beer cans, I'm pretty sick of finding crap, but I won't quit because I love this hobby and I believe in what I'm doing, it's my passion.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well..everybody will have tough times during their lifetime. Right now..it's Christmas Eve...I'm alone...and missing someone dearly..Down in the dumps as they say.. Lastleg and Sandman (and everyone else)..what you said was so touching to those out there who are going through tough times.

The times when I truly have peace of mind and contentment is when I am out there in the field...enjoying nature and making nice finds. So...there is HOPE....

Remember...There will come a time when you believe everything is finished..That will be the beginning...

So to all fellow mdists out there!!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! Take care everyone!!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, My heart is filled with hope for you!
Just hang in there Keep a positive attitude and your future will be brighter!
Remember its always darkest before the dawn and the only way from the bottom is up!

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Transitions are our way of “transforming” us into better, stronger, wiser people…
Some times it seems to be via “bad times”

And trust me, I am not by any means minimizing what you’re going though…but you ARE in a transition right now.

A very good book to read while going through this is in fact called “Transitions”. If you’re not into reading, then sit back and “perceive” what you’re going through as a time in which you’re growing into a much better and stronger person…

Grab a seat next to the millions of really great people experiencing the same kind of seemingly “bad times” and know you’re going to come out of it truly transformed!

I’ll send positive, loving thoughts your way!
And hey, a metal detector can help pass the time, so yeah, there is a tad bit of hope in one!

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
HOPE NEVER FAILS, KEEP ON HANGING IN THERE THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 0909.jpg
    0909.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 303

cazar

Jul 4, 2005
mississippi, beaches of the pacific
Detector(s) used
whites beachhunter, dfx
In every life there is adversity...everyone has had pain, pleasure and good and bad days ...
started farming in 1976 ...and went to college..
in 1990 I couldnt farm anymore that is what I always wanted to do ...so I had to
go to work at the state prison ( no I worked there..laugh)
in 1993 got a lateral transfer to another state agency..worked there until 2000 when the adminstration
decided they did not want me working there..they blackballed me from getting another job ..and my
other little business went down also ...so for 18 months I was unemployed and going to get my masters
I was two weeks from losing my house, had lost my wife, kids wouldnt talk to me and my sisters and cousins
had messed me out of 2 million dollars ( no typo, two million) ...so then I finally got a job at sea with the
merchant marine..
things are ok now, but house that I pay on mortgage too high, and I am never there to enjoy it...
and no very rarely talk to my sisters...and my cousins...let them enjoy their ill gotten gains

but life is good ...remember that things could be worse...that is what kept me going in adversity ...

keep up the faith, and keep your head up, it makes folks wonder why you are so happy

and the *friends* that were not your friends when you are or were broke...they are not your friends

happy holidays and hunting all .... be safe and be careful

caz

Purrdee

Dec 9, 2008
Davis Co. Utah
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Read something the other day and placed it in my cell phone calendar to go to alarm everyday at 12 noon to remind me..."Heaven {replace it with the word HOPE} is not beyond the clouds, it is RIGHT HERE for all to find if they seek."

My alarm went off just as I was reading this post.....felt like it needed to be shared.

God Bless those who are bearing heavy hearts.....Be kind to yourselves.....

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ParkHunter61 said:
I have been looking for some hope and I am wondering if it may
be in the dirt.

I had some once but I've seem to have lost or misplaced it.
I sure could use some.

I had a bankruptcy / bad divorce / lost my own business and NOW,
I've had my hours cut at my low paying job- Just signed up for
unemployment today.

Think I'll got to the park and dig around - ya never know,
maybe hope is under the next plug.

Everyone have a great holiday

Bill
I'v been here it's not a nice place to be, I was even on medication, don't let it get you down every time something bad happens let it make you more determined to beat it. It took me time but that's how I overcome my problems, good luck for 2009 :thumbsup: :icon_santa:

Suckerpunched

Nov 15, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Seems we all have one thing in common,,,,we're survivers and we're human.........
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's to the New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_sunny:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Suckerpunched said:
Seems we all have one thing in common,,,,we're survivers and we're human.........
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's to the New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_sunny:

thats two things!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread