Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Dec 2008
    ARIZONA
    lucky horseshoe

What is the best detector to use in Arizona?

Hello everyone!

I am new to this just joined yesterday, but i have a question for all the experts out there.
    I need to buy a metal detector to use out here in Arizona, i live in Scottsdale but can travel
    thru-out the state. I mostly want to look for gold and coins,rings ect... So what do u think is the
    best metal detector for me to buy? Also please give different price options...

and yes this will be my first MD.

Thank you in advance
    Cachefinder
    Never trust a man that says "Trust Me"

us
    Sep 2007
    Ring Of Fire
    3 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: What is the best detector to use in Arizona?

I'd have to say it wouldn't matter where you are. It's up to your budget and what you want to hunt

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1869 times
    Banner Finds (3)

when you say that one of your goals will be "gold", do you mean gold as in "gold nuggets" or gold as in "gold jewelry"?
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Feb 2005
    Menominee, Michigan
    T-2,
    2 times

i would have to say mxt, xt 70, f-70 f-75 ot t-2
    where's the good stuff

us
    Arizona Ames

Dec 2008
    Michigan
    MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
    21 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cachefinder
    Hello everyone!

I am new to this just joined yesterday, but i have a question for all the experts out there.
    I need to buy a metal detector to use out here in Arizona, i live in Scottsdale but can travel
    thru-out the state. I mostly want to look for gold and coins,rings ect... So what do u think is the
    best metal detector for me to buy? Also please give different price options...

and yes this will be my first MD.

Thank you in advance
    Cachefinder
    For ease of setup for a beginner or Pro and for 3 different programs (Modes), "Prospecting, Relic Hunting and Coin and Jewelry" modes (3 different uses), and since I too faced your plight 2 weeks ago, I settled on the White's MXT. I had an older White's Goldmaster/Vsat for many years and am overwhelmed at the ease and quality of the MXT by the same company. It is an American made machine and service is excellent. I would highly recommend this machine....$719 new at Kellyco and White's is offering a XMAS package for $99.95 that includes a choice (1) of 4 different coils, a pinpointer, and earphones if you have purchased an MXT this Xmas season....happy hunting....jim
    Arizona Ames

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    2171 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

First I wish to welcome you to the forum and the hobby. There are many different configurations to these detectors and prices depending on the features. All detectors will locate gold, silver and coins along with iron. A detector that is good at finding gold nuggets however is a little different in that it may not be the best one for coins.

Suggest you check the Whites, Garrett, Minelab and Tesoro websites to learn about their detectors and the features you may want. I don't recommend Fisher anymore as I have gotten nasty emails from folks that now hate the one they bought. An I have six Fishers myself.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Dec 2008
    ARIZONA
    lucky horseshoe

hey Tom

i mostly want to use it for gold coins and jewelry,...........but i would also like to take it out into the desert and just hunt for gold(if that is possible). otherwise i would just like a great recomendation for a coin/ jewelry finder.

thanks for your help

Cachefinder

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1869 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Cachefinder, then if you want something that can "swap back & forth" between gold nuggets and gold jewelry, then as Sandman says: the ones that excell in one venue, aren't usually the best in the other venue, and vice-versa. The reason is simple: naturally occuring nuggets are usually very small. RARELY does any get over pea sized (those are trophy finds). The size nuggets that make up the bulk of weight for nugget guys is pinhead and grain-of-rice sized nuggets. So a machine designed to excell in pinhead sized targets is going to be one-big-headache, for a coin-hunter. The two goals are almost diametrically opposed to each other. A coin/jewelry hunter doesn't want to hear every straight-pin, pinhead, birdshot, etc.... The usual land places that coin/relic/jewelry hunter hunt at will typically have items you elect to disc. out.

And as odd as it sounds, a nugget machine that can pick up a BB sized item at an inch or two, does NOT get a coin sized item deeper than a coin-hunter machine. The coin-hunter machines were designed for coin/relic/jewelry sized items. There are exceptions of course, as some nugget hunters can indeed get a coin at 1.5 to 2 ft. down. But BELIEVE me, you DON'T want to try to use those to hunt for coins, lest you get driven mad (barring using them on the wide-open-clean beach I suppose).

There are a few cross-over machines made that can ..... with changes in settings, be able to do both venues. The MXT is one such machine. But it excells in neither arena. There are better coin machines, and there are better nugget machines. It's a compromise between the two. I guess when they go to design machines, the innards, electronics, windings, etc... are all designed from the ground up to what it will excell in, so it's no easy task to make a machine that can just go back & forth between almost opposed-goals.

For coins/relics, a good machine for a beginner is the 6000 Di pro. They can go just about anywhere, are easy to learn, have a lot of tell-tale audio you can learn, etc.. It's not tone-ID, but you can learn a lot of the TIDs by watching the meter bounces/repeatabilities, etc....
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Dec 2008
    Cochise County, Arizona
    1 times

In Arizona you need a shovel that will go through ROCK HARD dirt! lol! I hope you find the detector your looking for!!

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2768 times

good evening Cache hunter: go to Google and type in "Metal detecting clubs in Phoenix or Scotsdale Az" . you will hit on

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

Dec 2007
    Tierra del Fuego
    Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
    5 times

Cachefinder,

There is a nice family named Gifford that makes top quality machines in Prescott.
    Their lifetime warranty is second to none.

My advice would be that you visit with them at the Tesoro factory.
    You might ask them if an LST, Tejon, Vaquero, or Silver uMax might suite your needs best.

They'll probably let you try them out right there on AZ soil!

I like my Tesoros very much.
    They are my go-to machine!

Lite as a feather, productive, and always reliable.
    They offer an excellent selection of coils, also.

Best
    rmptr
    I am a pathological liar and a functional illiterate.

us
    Dec 2008
    ARIZONA
    lucky horseshoe

Thank you all for the great advice/help. I have been researching like crazy i am now thinking more alone the lines of a garrett
    because they say everyone of their detectors is made to find coins.

us
    Dec 2008
    ARIZONA
    lucky horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by CamoQueen
    In Arizona you need a shovel that will go through ROCK HARD dirt! lol! I hope you find the detector your looking for!!
    very true--have a pick axe!

cachefinder

us
    Dec 2008
    ARIZONA
    lucky horseshoe

[quote=rmptr ]
    Cachefinder,

There is a nice family named Gifford that makes top quality machines in Prescott.
    Their lifetime warranty is second to none.

My advice would be that you visit with them at the Tesoro factory.
    You might ask them if an LST, Tejon, Vaquero, or Silver uMax might suite your needs best.

They'll probably let you try them out right there on AZ soil!

I like my Tesoros very much.
    They are my go-to machine!

Lite as a feather, productive, and always reliable.
    They offer an excellent selection of coils, also.

Best
    rmptr

Thank you ---might take a trip up north this weekend to see them

cachefinder

Dec 2007
    Tierra del Fuego
    Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
    5 times

Mr. Emmons,

If you wish to use this particular thread as a source of information to select a metal detector,
    I shall make another addition to the thread...

For a direct assessment of capability and techno function of a number of metal detectors,
    here upon Tnet, run a search on the writings of Easymoney. He cuts to the chase.
    He is an experienced electronics technician with years of MD repair experience.

Another Tnet member, Tabdog, has done amazing recovery volume and posted extensive finds over at the Tesoro Forum of Findmall Forums. He frequently uses a Tesoro Compadre.

Specific intended use, targets, is of principal consideration when making a selection.
    Next in order of importance is budget.

Of course, a new machine with factory warranty is superior to a used machine sans warranty.
    (Tesoro has been known to warrant ANY of their products!)

Some detectors are KNOWN to be deeper than others, some are known to be heavy, and some are known to be very complicated, although unsurpassed in the hands of an expert.

Have fun making a selection!

Possibly the best metal detector is one you have in your hand and are very familiar with.

Best
    rmptr
    I am a pathological liar and a functional illiterate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors