Opinions on Water Detectors

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
Looking at purchasing a water detector. I will be using it mainly in WI on beaches, lakes and swimming holes. On occasion I will use it around salt water. I have been a member of this site for about 2 years. I have read alot of water detecting stories but was mainly looking at the finds and was not paying alot of attention to the detector. I currently have an Ace 250 and an Explorer SE. The wife and I buy each other 1 present for Christmas so price is not a problem. She's buying. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank You and Merry Christmas. PJ

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Do you plan on submerging your machine? Like, as in snorkeling or deep wading? If not, your Explorer will work just fine for beach hunting. If you plan on going underwater, then the Excaliber is popular. But be forwarned, the sounds will drive you bonkers at first :o A good way to "break yourself in" on the Excal, is to start with the disc. all the way cranked up, so that only penny/dimes/quarters are accepted. Dig a few dozen of those, then drop 1 notch on the disc. dial and hunt another hour or two. Then drop another notch, and so forth until finally, you've got the disc. dial all the way down to just knock out iron. That will make the learning transition easier.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Excal in freshwater lakes too and I have the disc turned down to as low as it can go so it just ignores iron hairpins and such. It will report on pull tabs and gold rings this way as you don't want to leave those for the next guy. I also use the Tiger Shark and CZ20 as back ups.

OP
OP
P

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
Tom-in-CA, Real de Tayopa and Sandman. Thanks for your input. Will be checking your suggestions out soon. What type of depth do the underwater detectors have? Are they similar to turf detectors? Are stainless diggers the best choice for diggers? PJ

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The depth of discriminating waterproof detectors, is the same as non-waterproof "land" machines. The only difference is, an underwater machine is just a land machine put into a waterproof housing :) For example, the Excaliber is basically a Sovereign in a waterproof container, etc...

An underwater pulse though will go deeper than a land machine. But you will lack any type of disc. (can't pass nails, etc...)

For beach digging, I use a sand scoop basket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread